59 replies to this topic

#41 Fraser

Fraser

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 11:14 AM

I always carry a "dog be gone device" for those just in case moments.

What's a 'dog be gone device' - a rifle?

#42 Harrier

Harrier

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 12:09 PM

What's a 'dog be gone device' - a rifle?

That comes under the heading, You've got the whole place to yourself device.

#43 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:12 AM

Had a couple of minor problems with dogs on the beach today. The first was a revolting little Staffordshire which attacked the kite while I was setting it up. He managed to get one bite in, but luckily did no damage and soon ran off when 16 stone of yelling man charged at him. The second was a totally mad lab. Came shooting past me and started jumping, chasing and barking at the kite while it was flying. Unfortunately it was pretty over weight, so I gave it a run around for a while, then it lay down for a rest! At this point the owner came over and retrieved one knackered dog.

In the second case I have to say I didn't mind. In fact the owner and I had a good laugh at out unfit the dog was. After all, when I arrived at the beach it was clear that there were people walking dogs, you don't have to be too bright to work out that some of them may chase the kite and I did of course play with it. But I have to say I did take exception to the dog that just attacked the kite while it was being set up - I was not so polite and friendly to that ones owner. It seems to me that any dog chasing a fast moving flying object is very understandable. A dog just attacking an immobile object lying on the beach is a dog totally out of control IMHO. The owner did not seem to agree with me I am sad to say.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#44 Studebacher Hoch

Studebacher Hoch
  • Forum Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 12:36 AM

SLE up and flying (with two tape patches) last weekend at Clapham Common. As expected at this, or any London park, there were a few interested dogs. Fortunately the wind was good so it was easy to keep the kite high and stationary when necessary. Did have one dog running to the kite while I was setting up. My shout made it change direction but only for it to cross the lines on the ground. One leg briefly got entangled but it was off before I could get close to it. Owner stood stationary about 50m away while all this was going on, repeatedly (and in my pinion rather pathetically) calling for dear little Evelyn to come back to her.

I recently took my new SUL for a maiden flight in a small local park (Slade Gardens, Stockwell/Brixton). With SUL flying in lighter winds I am even more concerned with being able to keep the dogs at bay. No dogs at first but eventually some dog walkers arrived. I was getting the hang of keeping the SUL in the air but with very light to 0 wind it takes a lot of movement (for me at least) so I was getting very wet and tired and had to take a brake every now and again. Also I was running out of space in this smallish park, by constantly moving into the direction of the breeze. Anyway, I would catch my breath by walking back to the far end of the park (carrying the kite and dragging the lines behind over the lawn). This worked OK for about 5-6 times. As I was setting up to take off again, kite on the ground, lines taunt, a few steady deep breaths before take-off and waiting just a few seconds longer in case a nice little breeze comes along, the clichéd local council estate dog (Staffordshire Terrier with studded leather harness) comes charging in and fortunately barking (so I could hear it). In what is a funny scene in hindsight, I drop the handles and sprint to try and reach the kite before Bullet/Killer/Rex reaches it, shouting at the top of my voice. It worked. Muscle Dog's charge fortunately falters and it runs back to teenage owner (Vicky Pollard). Phew!

Besides the dogs issue, I have resolved in any case to shorten the SUL lines, probably to 15m at first, but the shorter lines, I think, would also help me to defend the kite from my canine friends. By the way, I like dogs and although I do not own one currently, as a child my family always had dogs and I might get one again sometime in the future.

#45 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 12:45 AM

the clichéd local council estate dog (Staffordshire Terrier with studded leather harness) comes charging in and fortunately barking (so I could hear it). In what is a funny scene in hindsight, I drop the handles and sprint to try and reach the kite before Bullet/Killer/Rex reaches it, shouting at the top of my voice. It worked. Muscle Dog's charge fortunately falters and it runs back to teenage owner (Vicky Pollard). Phew!

Yeh, but no, but yeh, but no but it wasn't my dog anyway and I saw kylie behind the bikeshed, shurup!

This seems to be the most dangerous time to me. If there are dogs around it and one chooses to fly, I think you have to be sure you can keep the kite up if needs press. But when you you are simly setting up you are at the mercy of our little furry friends.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#46 pudsli

pudsli

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 02:56 AM

hi all.
must come in here, why does everyone think that staffs are a Chav sort of dog.
i myself live on a concil estate, and also have 2 staffs they are brother and sister.
yeah before you ask the female is spayed (no pups here).
i have 4 kids the youngest is 2 years old, my dogs have never done any harm to my kid's.
when out they are on a lead.
they dont chase kites, they have even been to a kite festival for 3 days.
they are a lovely dog, it is not the dog it is the owners.
people that taunt dogs with a rev deserve all they get.
people give staffs a bad name due to some owners having them as a status symbol.
i see myself as a responsable owner.
well that is my rant over.
all the best steve.
Member of British S.T.A.C.K winter league pairs champs 2006/2007

#47 Studebacher Hoch

Studebacher Hoch
  • Forum Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 04:03 AM

Staffi's are nice dogs. Years ago I lived in a house-share where the house dog was a Staffi. I used to take him along when jogging.

Currently I live in a part of London with many Council Estates (Stockwell/Brixton) and you will not find teenagers arround here walking with any other kind of dog. Its not the dogs fault it's more of a human fashion thing. This muscular little dog makes the spotty teenager feel well 'ard in his 'hood', innit ;)

#48 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 06:49 AM

I don't really have many troubles with dogs, as my dog is a 4 year old chocolate lab, that doesn't care if something is moving near him unless it is a feasent or a turky, or some other game bird.

On occasions, I do find someones dog taking an interest in my kite. For this reason, I usually fly with 30 ft. lines. This way, if the dog happens to attack my kite, I can just do a quick toss and catch (with out the toss part), and wait for the pestering vermin goes away.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#49 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 06:56 AM

I have resolved in any case to shorten the SUL lines, probably to 15m at first, but the shorter lines,

If you bought your kites "ready to fly" i.e. with lines included in the packaging, not thrown in as part of a deal with the retailer, chances are you will have 85ft, 90lb lines.

Rather than measure 15m, cut them in half then by the time you have re-sleeved the cut ends and tied new loops, you will end up with 2 sets of about 42ft. I got a mate to do this with a spare set I had we had a great couple of hours that afternoon with SUL's, I can thoroughly recommend it.

However, if you are just doing it to stay close to the kite so you can protect it from unruly dogs, bear in mind that your limbs are more valuable than any kite so I wouldn't recommend getting in the way of an excited staffy.

I love my Revs but there is a limit. :)
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#50 Fraser

Fraser

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 02:52 AM

...a quick toss and catch (with out the toss...)...

Wouldn't that just be a 'catch'...? :kid_devlish:

#51 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 01:14 PM

.... I suppose so.

Spence "Watty" Watson

#52 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 02:30 PM

Well,Staffs have 2b the best dog on the planet.Im with Pudsli,its defo the owner,but as Bob pointed out.Dogs are sorta made for chaseing and catchin birds,and stuff,so ya cant blame the dog..
Ive owned ,,,no, had three as mi bestest, pal[staffs]and if ther disaplined early ther kewl.If ther not and are not shown the pecking order early on.Ther a dominant animal and will run a muck.

LOVE THE POST SAILOR,,,,,Yeh, but no, but yeh, but no but it wasn't my dog anyway and I saw kylie behind the bikeshed, shurup

FUNNY MAN,FUNNY

HAVE A GREAT EASTER GUYS

BRIAN...

#53 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 02:55 PM

Just in case any of our American friends were wondering who Vick Pollard is take a look here and here. What we call a Chav, I think you would refer to as "trailer trash".
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#54 Madquad

Madquad

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 12:17 PM

.Dogs are sorta made for chaseing and catchin birds,and stuff,so ya cant blame the dog..

BRIAN...

Or they do some other funny things !!! :P

Posted Image

It's not the size of your Rev.. its how you use it.
Seven days without flying a Rev makes one weak.

http://www.air-4-ce.nl

batch-air4ce.jpg?w=230&h=230

#55 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 01:19 PM

Posted Image

No way.I dont beleive that dogs just off the Sun Bed behind him.Then finished that Rubix Cube.

Whats he do for an Oncore,ride bike while reading...lol

BRIAN...

#56 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,410 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 01:40 PM

Posted Image

Oh my gosh! DOG EATS TEAM!

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#57 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 01:52 PM

Oh my gosh! DOG EATS TEAM!

Only when ther Flying in Squares John :devil:

BRIAN...

Edited by big bri, 02 November 2009 - 01:53 PM.

#58 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 01:53 PM

Posted Image

Does that rubix cube have the same picture on all sides? O.o

Spence "Watty" Watson

#59 Madquad

Madquad

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 02:13 PM

While the dog plays the cube i like, besides playing with our 4 aces ;) , playing with dices.

Attached Thumbnails

• dice_20illusion.gif

It's not the size of your Rev.. its how you use it.
Seven days without flying a Rev makes one weak.

http://www.air-4-ce.nl

batch-air4ce.jpg?w=230&h=230

#60 LS Kite Stakes

LS Kite Stakes

Make it Custom!

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 02:24 PM

While the dog plays the cube i like, besides playing with our 4 aces ;) , playing with dices.

And I will eat my B-Night if that puzzle exists in this dimension......
LS Custom Kite Accessories

Maker of the Original Marble Kite Stake
And Revolution Snagless Pro Handles
http://www.Kitestakes.com

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users