59 replies to this topic

#21 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 12:51 PM

I'd tend to agree with Bob on this one...

In the kind of situations we're discussing, you get what you put into it, pure and simple.

Thanks for the support. I must admit I was a bit afraid I had gone a bit too far with this one. If this had been unprovoked attack this guy would have had my sympathy, but he not only appears to have provoked the attack he seems to be bragging about it.

Good flying sites are few and far between it the UK and we have usually to share them with other users Thoughtless behaviour by one kite flyer reflects on us all.
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#22 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 01:21 PM

Bob,i couldnt have put it better myself.

BRIAN...

#23 Harrier

Harrier

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 01:28 PM

Canít imagine there is many who are daft enough to provoke dog attacks on their kites, in our case the dog turned up from nowhere travelling like an Exocet which is usually the case, we were fortunate to escape the original attack as our kites were stood on the ground as it approached.
We did of course respond to create the photo opportunity for Rob; normally the standard procedure is to park the kite at altitude till the hound disappears.

Dog owners have a lot of pressure on them in this part of the world, they are regulated as to where and when they can exercise off the lead, come May 1st all dogs here have to be on a lead when on or near the beach.
I might suggest in answer to the original question that if dogs are a big problem where you fly it is not hard to add to the pressure on the less responsible owners by contacting your local authority.
We have local council wardens who patrol and will dish the tickets if needed for those owners that think dog behaviour is not their problem.
Perhaps it would be a good thing for all dog owners to have third party insurance. :ani_whistling:

#24 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 02:41 PM

It should be said, I never pass up a chance to tease dogs... But I'm very confident in my abilities and will ultimately take full responsibilty for both kite and dog in doing so. ;)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#25 AldenMiler

AldenMiler

Bazzer P Wannabe

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 03:27 PM

Dogs?

1) Mr. B taking the dog for a walk.

2) I believe this was Monks getting taught a lesson by the dog.

3) New IQUAD team member.

These were taken at Niagara Falls last year.

-Alden

Attached Thumbnails

• P1010253.JPG
  • P1010176.JPG
  • P1010202.JPG

"Don't go in there!" RC

#26 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 06:09 PM

It should be said, I never pass up a chance to tease dogs... But I'm very confident in my abilities and will ultimately take full responsibilty for both kite and dog in doing so. ;)

I'm with John on this one may it be a Dog, Child, Pretty Girl etc.

If one comes within my flying window they are subject to my teasing and torment.

Luckily for me where I do fly most of the people have gotten to know me and usually expect some sort of kite play.

One Lady and Dog in particular (Jack Russel terrier) is my favorite to mess with this dog gets more air then Michael Jordan and can run me down after 2 hours he still wants more :kid_smartass:

As for troublesome dogs usually a fast loud dive stop safely out of range send them running, more so with a Powerblast 2-4 for any that have tried a dive stop with one is familiar with the LOUD thundering attention getting crack it makes.

Aside from having fun most will not even pay attention to your kite if its high and still. if light wind is a factor be prepared to walk back slowly if need be to keep it up.
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#27 monkey

monkey

Rev Guru

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 07:57 PM

Dogs?

1) Mr. B taking the dog for a walk.

2) I believe this was Monks getting taught a lesson by the dog.

3) New IQUAD team member.

These were taken at Niagara Falls last year.

-Alden

Ha, that dog had its way with my flying more than a few times, he was FAST
David Hathaway, Revisionist
-~ REVisions
-~ www.simian-studios.ca
-~ www.teamiquad.com
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis!

#28 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 02:02 AM

Trouble is JB you show yourself doing this very act on your DVD that comes with the B.
Obviously you are *very* confident in your abilities, but others may be prone to follow by example.

I always carry a "dog be gone device" for those just in case moments.
I have not had to use it yet, luckily.
1 of the 47.

#29 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 03:06 AM

I always carry a "dog be gone device" for those just in case moments.

Very wise - Choccy is poisonous to dogs. ;)

All this reminds me of flying a couple of weeks ago. I had taken chicken and Garlic mayo sandwiches so that I could have a snack part way through the day. I had eaten one, and stashed the other in my coat pocket for later.

Anyway a dog gets interested in the kite, so I fly it up to a height and he gets bored. Then, despite his owner calling him, he comes lolloping over to me to say hello - isn't it great to see a well trained dog (not). Then he gets the scent of the sandwich, and before you could say "Hows your father" he has it out of my pocket (remember my hands were tied up flying a kite) and is away into the distance, sandwich in mouth.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#30 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 04:01 AM

here's a golden retriever I tried to tire-out after the filming of the Shootist in Baltimore. He completely ignored his master until I landed the kite. It was a very entertaining close to a long day.

Attached Thumbnails

• dog_chase1_copy.JPG
  • Dog_chase3_copy.JPG

#31 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 04:15 AM

OK, I have to ask. The shootist was released in 1976 so probably filmed in 1975. Which is before revs were invented. What Gives?

Yours

Confused!

#32 Studebacher Hoch

Studebacher Hoch
  • Forum Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 06:46 AM

I was not complaining nor bragging. I was setting the scene and asked for members' advice.

As I stated initially, I am not that skilled a flyer so whenever I see dogs in the park, while flying, my immediate emotional response is one of mild panic. In hindsight, yes the effect my horizontal movements had was probably like 'teasing them'. Although I admittedly enjoyed the interaction with the dogs (while I was in control), I was mostly trying to keep the kite as far as possible away from them. I'm not that confident to take the kite to the dogs and hover it just out of their reach. I have learned an expensive lesson.

"Thoughtless behaviour", regrettable yes, but I fail to see how this particular instance would threaten the use of a 'common' for flying. Clapham Common is often used by traction kite flyers (sometimes on wheeled boards) and (dual line) stunt kite flyers. This is probably not the first or the last time dogs and kites come into contact here. As soon as my SLE is repaired I will be flying there again.

#33 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 12:45 PM

Okay, maybe, I owe you an apology, I must admit it is very easy to forget just how difficult it is to maintain control in those early days and how the kite does seem to have a mind of itís own but I honestly canít see how anybody, even when under pressure could possibly think it was a good idea to try and tire out an excised dog. But then I wasnít there.

The obvious move is to take the kite to the top of the window way out of the dogís reach, trust me you will bore a dog much quicker than youíll tire him.

As a novice flyer you may have been worried about maintaining control of a constantly moving kite but that need not be a problem. Simply fly the kite straight up the centre of the window, (keep a little bit of tension on the break lines to control the speed) the kite will find itís own position in the sky and the break lines will go slack (your Rev has now effectively becomes a duel line kite) and provided there is enough wind the kite will sit there all day. If there is any strength at all in the wind the kite will be lying flat on the wind almost directly above your head. Not cool I know but I love it :)
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#34 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 02:18 PM

Well bob,you know i LOVEYA :blue-love: ,But thats why i thought you was a tad HARD ON THE BLOKE[Please dont unleash Woody on me :). The post did ask for advice on the subject.I think your opinion is valid though Bob and can read the way you have,but the bloke has had the good sence to ask if its the best practice.

LOVE,PIES AND HARMONY

BRIAN...

#35 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 05:16 PM

This dog you could never tire out.

DSC_9301sm.jpg DSC_9304sm.jpg
DSC_9307sm.jpg DSC_9308sm.jpg
DSC_9310sm.jpg DSC_9312sm.jpg

It is a good thing he was on a leash.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#36 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 12:42 AM

It is a good thing he was on a leash.

Are you sure? :kid_devlish:
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#37 Trumpet

Trumpet
  • Forum Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 06:21 AM

Can't imagine there is many who are daft enough to provoke dog attacks on their kites,

I wish I had done somthing to provoke my dog attack on the Rev that I had for my birthday yesterday...... my girlfriend had her dog with her, as per usall, kites have never bothered it before, it just decided that it like kites as much as we do.... less then ten minutes in the air and crunch, one knackered sail on its first flight.

See you at the weekend, lets hope we get at les a moronings flying.

#38 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 06:51 AM

ouch.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#39 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 07:59 AM

Bad draw Trumpet. :(

But welcome to the forum, it can only get better now! ;)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#40 Harrier

Harrier

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 09:22 AM

Bad luck Stu, still at least you get to kick the dog regularly, weekend looks cool and wet, should be good.
"See you at the weekend, lets hope we get at les a moronings flying."
French team? no one I know :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users