57 replies to this topic

#21 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 11:58 PM

Had'nt even noticed the tram thing Jeremy. In fact I was wondering what Bruce was on about.

Go's to show how we scan words instead of reading them.

#22 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 05:05 AM

What do you mean "tram thing"? I have no idea what you are on about? ;)
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#23 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:08 AM

Had'nt even noticed the tram thing Jeremy. In fact I was wondering what Bruce was on about.

Go's to show how we scan words instead of reading them.

The phenomenal power of the human mind

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid! Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer inwaht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? Yaeh, and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt.
NOTE: I read this somewhere and I just had to pass it around. I do not know the origins of the text.

Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#24 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:36 AM

You missed a full stop (A.K.A. period) there Bob, right at the end just after the word text. Otherwise your post seems fine to me.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

#25 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 10:04 AM

You missed a full stop (A.K.A. period) there Bob, right at the end just after the word text. Otherwise your post seems fine to me.

Okay, (comma) edit done. (full stop capital letter) Have you any idea how long it took me to extract that from a Powerpoint presentation (questionmark)?
Stone in Shoe Bob

#26 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 10:05 AM

And you should seee what it does to the spell checker in Word.
Stone in Shoe Bob

#27 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 10:33 AM

seee

Cough, cough!

;)
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

#28 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 02:11 PM

IMHO Unlikely. Maybe you are moving incorrectly, but Mr Ellison was quite clear with me that most rev flyers move far too little, and in my experience since this little nugget he is correct.

Having watched a heap load of iQuad movie files recently, I figure that I am moving around ok....
JB moves around *a lot* even bounces during his performance :)

But *I* will not be moving around so far as to do a 360! :shifty: :w00t:
1 of the 47.

#29 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 02:17 PM

LOL - I been known to wiggle a little. <grin>

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#30 Mike

Mike

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 10:03 AM

Either this is an example of extreme movement or it was very windy and I need to put rocks in my pocket.
kite_party01_e.jpg
Suggested captions for this photo:

By kitehead:
"Though an experienced flyer, Mike Kory was unprepared for the gusty Southern California winds"
"Kory was later quoted as saying 'I'll bulk up and be back next year'".

by Isaac:
Somtimes yelling at your kite will make it go in the right direction
OR
Disaster was narrowly avoided when Mike calls "All kites right" and then turns left.

by Babb:
Did someone just pinch my butt?
Mike Kory:
Posted Image and Posted Image

#31 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 02:13 PM

Either this is an example of extreme movement or it was very windy and I need to put rocks in my pocket.
Did someone just pinch my butt?

:w00t:
LOL
1 of the 47.

#32 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 12:18 PM

JB has pointed me in the right direction for the Basic Basics list.

http://teamiquad.com/join.htm

Thanks John.

#33 Jeff

Jeff

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 01:17 PM

I don't recall who that was in the black flip-flops, but clearly he was getting too personal with his handles.
CYuLf.jpg 0LPEo.png and ybuXm.png

#34 rudolph

rudolph
  • Forum Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 01:24 PM

N :blue_wink: othing personal about it. Mike had it coming. He stepped on my toe first.

#35 Simon

Simon

Rev Legend

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 02:39 PM

Which is why we in the UK with kids hate the fact that "French Connnection UK" have reduced it down to its initials FCUK

The phenomenal power of the human mind

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid! Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer inwaht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? Yaeh, and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt.
NOTE: I read this somewhere and I just had to pass it around. I do not know the origins of the text.

The Flying Squad

Posted Image

#36 spotter

spotter
  • Forum Member
  • 38 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 10:03 PM

Hey guys,

Stumbled along this thread while looking at where to start with team flying. Where I am there is no one that team flys but there are 2 of us that are wanting to have a go at some team stuff with a third person getting an 1.5 SLE soon to join us. What I would like to know is some real basic things that we should be looking at doing to get things underway. Yes we all will need to get some 120' lines at some stage in the near future but at this stage we are looking at the very basic stuff.

So, what would use guys suggest we start looking at to get the hang of very early stages of Rev Team flying?
Trying to fly "Down Under"

#37 Love2fly

Love2fly

All Revved up... where do you want to fly?

• Forum Member
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 11:14 PM

Hey guys,

Stumbled along this thread while looking at where to start with team flying. Where I am there is no one that team flys but there are 2 of us that are wanting to have a go at some team stuff with a third person getting an 1.5 SLE soon to join us. What I would like to know is some real basic things that we should be looking at doing to get things underway. Yes we all will need to get some 120' lines at some stage in the near future but at this stage we are looking at the very basic stuff.

So, what would use guys suggest we start looking at to get the hang of very early stages of Rev Team flying?

Hello-
From what I've been learning, the team animations are all of the basic maneuvers that are done. There's a link to them to the right on the main Rev website page, under Technique. (To the right, near where you would log into the forum.)
The real basics: You will be standing in line, about six inches back from the person next to you. This helps keeping out of the wake of the kite you are following. Someone will have to call the moves. That takes practice, too. Calling requires you to watch everyone while watching what your kite is doing. There is a definite cadence to calling. You will want to call the move and then say "go" or "now" or something so that everyone turns or goes on that call, at the same time. (180......now, for example). Speed is crucial as you are trying to create an image with the move and being out of sync speedwise effects that greatly. Spacing is important, too. It's good to start off with basic figure eights where everyone can get the feel for the lines crossing, speed control and following the kite in front of you. You'd be surprised how different the control is to keep in line vs. flying alone and feeling as if you're controlling that "line". Once you have that control and confidence with the figure eights, than you can add moves to that. Everything from launching to landing is done together, however the caller calls it.
Most importantly, it IS so much fun to stand next to a friend and fly; never forget that part.
Spotter, is this what you were looking for? If not, please explain.
I don't have the experience of most. Since this is newer to me, since the summer, I'm just giving you my take on my experience and what I've learned.
Hope this helps.
Laura

*** Any day flying is a good day; have a great one! 
**** REVS: Fly it, you'll like it!
***** L.S.P. ... It's worth the trip!

Posted Image

#38 Stephen Hoath

Stephen Hoath

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 11:59 PM

Hello-

I don't have the experience of most. Since this is newer to me, since the summer, I'm just giving you my take on my experience and what I've learned.
Hope this helps.

Hi Laura, in many respects the experience of a recent team flyer is more important than someone like me who has been flying for decades. It is very easy for us old team flyers to forget what it is like to learn the basics (and how much fun that can be). So don't ever be shy about offering your experience. One thing i have learnt over the years is that it is a little different for everyone so my best advice is to listen to everyone you can find, try what they suggest then use what works for you.

@ Spotter

There is lots of information on here and lots of advice so have a look. Sometimes it is easier to address specific questions, don't worry there is no such thing as a silly question! We all went through the same things when we first started to team fly. Admittedly it is easier if you have a team around to inspire you (I had the Decorators in my case) but isolation could prove inovation. In the first instance I suggest that you look at as much video footage as you can find. You will see several differnt styles, iQuad, The Decorators, The Flying Squad, FLIC, Bolau are allvery different in style and then the Japanese teams are as different again. Take a look at the style you like and then try plotting some of the moves you like best. You will soon discover there are some moves we all love and fly such as "bursts" but other moves may be very team specifc.

If you need any specific input please PM and I will be happy to go through as much as is needed.

Stephen Hoath

<a href="http://www.baidesign.net" rel="nofollow">Bai Design</a>

cappalatte-150x90.jpg

#39 Simon

Simon

Rev Legend

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 08:31 AM

@ Spotter

" You will see several differnt styles, iQuad, The Decorators, The Flying Squad, FLIC, Bolau are all very different in style and then the Japanese teams are as different again. Take a look at the style you like and then try plotting some of the moves you like best.

Yes, what he said.

No 1 have fun !!! we still do, after all these years.
No 2, for plotting - read steal !!! takes a move use it learn it then change a bit or add a bit....
No 3, have fun.

Also like he says watch other teams, I really like FLIC & The Flying Squad, very different but both excellent. With FLIC there is so much more to what you see on video
Where are you based?

The Flying Squad

Posted Image

#40 Love2fly

Love2fly

All Revved up... where do you want to fly?

• Forum Member
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:36 AM

Hi Stephen and Simon-
It's cool to see every team's style. The video from Choccy is a prime example of that. I've been very fortunate to fly with many experienced flyers from all over the country. That has definitely given me a broad point to learn from.
Also, I definitely have and continue to browse the forum and for all of the information/videos. There's tons of information right at our finger tips... literally.
Thanks for the words of wisdom; and have fun!
Laura

*** Any day flying is a good day; have a great one! 
**** REVS: Fly it, you'll like it!
***** L.S.P. ... It's worth the trip!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users