9 replies to this topic

#1 AldenMiler

AldenMiler

Bazzer P Wannabe

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 03:14 PM

I broke down and bought a sewing machine yesterday. After I bought Scarlette I have become fascinated with how kites are made. I thought I would venture into the world of kitemaking...

So, before I can make kites I have to learn how to sew (My mother showed me a little bit when I was a teenager but that was quite a while ago).

Attached are pictures of my first successful project (the first one I made the end piece backwards so the bag wouldn't close).

I always had to open at least one kite bag to tell if I was taking out my vented or standard B. I wanted a bag that I could tell them apart with so here it is.

-Alden

Attached Thumbnails

• P2230008.JPG

"Don't go in there!" RC

#2 brad

brad

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 03:19 PM

Nice job Alden. What's next......

#3 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 03:41 PM

Bit of a strange looking sewing machine.

Good looking bag though.

Dont think you will get your kites mixed up anymore.

As long as you remember which one you pt in the new bag of course.

#4 AldenMiler

AldenMiler

Bazzer P Wannabe

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 04:29 PM

I must admit it was a little wierd. The dining room where I had the sewing machine set up didn't have a lot of space. So, I took the cloth out the the shop, layed it out on the tablesaw (lot's of room) and cut it (with scissors).

Brad, I have my eyes on a plan for a low aspect edo. That ought to get me some sewing experience, I just figured out it is about 10' x 2'!

-Alden
"Don't go in there!" RC

#5 KYT ADIK

KYT ADIK

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 05:55 PM

Great Job!! Love that material!!

:rev_clockwork:

Starna*

Kiting Tampa Bay

Treasure Island Kite Festival & Sport Kite Competition<br style="background-color: rgb(238, 243, 248);">January 19-20 2013

#6 nobodyspecial

nobodyspecial

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 07:40 PM

Neat Alden, your on your way to getting the frabrication bug, i give it a few more monthes and you will start on your first custom rev design. Good luck in your endevours.

#7 kitedog

kitedog
  • Forum Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 08:09 PM

A great site on kite building is kitebuilder.com. If you search the site it has lots of short cuts, techniques, equipment suggestions etc.

I couldn't find anyone to teach me to sew kites and I had no previous knowledge on sewing. I enrolled into a couple of beginner quilting classes. The classes helped me learn my machine and taught me sewing techniques and the skills learned translated directly to kite making. Another bonus is I now have a couple of small quilts.

I also took a beginner class on how to make a shirt. This was an extremely challenging class but what I learned also helped with building kites.

Other things to make are pillow cases, kite bags, tote bags for your tools or roll up bags for kite line. These are very simple projects but will help you to learn your machine and different sewing techniques. And again you will have things you can use.

When I started sewing rip stop nylon it was very challenging and frustrating. The other materials I learned on kind of stuck together so they did not shift too much but rip stop is very slick and tends to shift easily. Kitebuilder.com had some great suggestions such as 3M spray adhesives or double sided tape, other sewing adhesives that dissolve in water or after being exposed to air for a certain amount of time. One of my favorite ways to hold material together is with a binder type clip. The reason folks do not use pins is it leaves small holes in your material.

Ahhhh I digress. I just wanted to give you an excellent site and some ways to learn your machine and sewing techniques.

Oh yeah, that looks like a table saw your bag is resting on. Woodworking techniques also help with sewing. I used to do a bit of woodworking in the past and many of the skills learned for cutting and piecing things together have helped me. It is amazing how similar woodworking is akin sewing. A big rule that applies to both MEASURE TWICE CUT ONCE (I sometimes measure 3 or 4 times :blue_wink: and still make the wrong cut :blue_wink: ).

Have fun and enjoy your new machine and that is a cool bag.

Arns

#8 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 03:30 AM

sweet looking bag alden .. i too have made a bigger bag for my blast 3 pack .. i made it from a joel shlutz kite i dont fly anymore.. makeing bags are real eazy i to plan on a rev style kite soon myself .. good luck with your project
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#9 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 03:52 AM

Hi Alden,
WOW has some excellent kite builders who can provide the guidance you're seeking. Dave Ashworth is our workshop coordinator, ... in all the years I've known him he has NEVER bought a kite. A specialty of his is the indoor - no wind quads. The last one he pulled out is an Orcon 1point6.

Then there's Mike Mosman, Harold Ames, Bob Lauder, Paul Dugard, they all build better than me! We'll see you at some of the local kite building retreats now.
It just keeps gets deeper & deeper (your kiting addiction that is!), doesn't it?

#10 AldenMiler

AldenMiler

Bazzer P Wannabe

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 06:58 AM

Yes Paul, it's a slippery slope.

I ordered some cloth and nylon thread yesterday. Spent a couple hours looking at kite building sites last night...

I'll be bugging you and Paul at the rev clinic I am sure!

-Alden
"Don't go in there!" RC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users