CUSTOM SAILS FOR REV 1.5 SLE?

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#21 inkslinger

inkslinger
  • Forum Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 12:18 PM

:confused!: i also was looking for a custom rev 1.5 , all black vented but was told that the center panel has to be white with the logo, can't the logo be yellow ,white or red any brite color would still stand out with a black center panel

#22 ilh

ilh

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 12:39 PM

They must have the center panels pre-printed black on white?

#23 Quad KiT

Quad KiT

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 02:09 PM

It is not bad as it sounds :)

Attached Thumbnails

• OrderOfRev.jpg

#24 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 06:35 PM

It is not bad as it sounds :)

OK since its an all black sail why did they still sew it in individual panels ??

If you look closely at the black Rev you will see what I mean.
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#25 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 07:04 PM

i think it can be done as my rev stallion has a white backround with the letters coated over top . im not sure if rev did this or if it was done when jose built it

100_0988.jpg
look here and you ll see what i mean
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#26 Quad KiT

Quad KiT

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 07:27 PM

They work off of one pattern. Everything is pattern cut I assume.

#27 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 07:32 PM

They work off of one pattern. Everything is pattern cut I assume.

All I know is the more holes you put in a sail the weaker it becomes, would think a one color sail would be 3 pieces each side and the logo in the middle.

All the masterpiece sails are 1 panel and appliquéd. I figure why all that extra work sewing a bunch of small pieces if the same color together.
Jim,

Posted Image

#28 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 02:38 AM

my design is all sewn together not painted but i do agree with fort about just useing one sheet of metreal but i think it has to do with so many people makeing their own rev style kites that rev does this to let us know its a kite that they made

#29 Aerochic

Aerochic

Revadelic

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 04:54 AM

i think it can be done as my rev stallion has a white backround with the letters coated over top . im not sure if rev did this or if it was done when jose built it
100_0988.jpg
look here and you ll see what i mean

It looks like maybe it was screen printed on the black material to me. I used to do that stuff "back in the day".

Better Living Through Rev Flying...

Rev Themed Ts & Goodies: http://www.zazzle.co...ckarts/clothing
Aerostakes: http://www.etsy.com/shop/LeshockArts
Rev Galleries: http://www.revkites....=user&user=1408
Flickr Pics: http://www.flickr.co...s/16896184@N05/

#30 Aerochic

Aerochic

Revadelic

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 04:59 AM

Since my last post in here, I have acquired a custom colour 1.5 vented, which turned out great and flies like a dream :D
In the meantime I have also acquired a used Rev 1 Sedgewick (Thanks monkey :wink: )
I now plan to order a custom colour SS as well as a 1.5 SUL to ad to my fast growing Rev collection. :D

Sweet! I love the colors! :D

Better Living Through Rev Flying...

Rev Themed Ts & Goodies: http://www.zazzle.co...ckarts/clothing
Aerostakes: http://www.etsy.com/shop/LeshockArts
Rev Galleries: http://www.revkites....=user&user=1408
Flickr Pics: http://www.flickr.co...s/16896184@N05/

#31 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 05:13 AM

I have seen 3 masterpiece sails and all were sewn. They were all :wub:very impressive .

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#32 Bazzer

Bazzer

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 08:41 AM

OK since its an all black sail why did they still sew it in individual panels ??

If you look closely at the black Rev you will see what I mean.

Not to answer for Rev but heres the low down.
There are a few reasons.
Sail cloth handles differently depending on which way the bias of the cloth runs. Thats a flight design thing. It's one of the reasons that the B series feel different.
The other (main) reason is manufacturing. If you can make your panels smaller you can get more out of a piece of 60" wide cloth. More units more money.
A perfectly manufactured kite minimal wastage. Why do you think that most production kites are made from panels rather than appliqué?
Making Revs from one piece of cloth is costly, each one of the triangles at the edges is waste.
I should know. I use around 5.5 yards of cloth to make each set of the "Eyes" and 4 1/4 on the "Sizzle".
A standard factory Rev probably uses just over a yard. You can do this on panel kites but not appliquéd.
Why so much?
Precision and ease of making. Piecing togetehr hundreds of small peices is a nightmare. Laying down one sheet and cutting away what you don't want is alot easier. Keeping it all as simple as possible leads to more complex finished work that can be repeated. Doing a one off is one thing. Doing more is a different ball game.

The center panel is printed and print runs are costly. So to change fabric colour/ ink colour costs $. We have to remember we are not talking about ten kites.
For the masterpiece kites I spray the logos on to the kite so that is why mine are on black and are in fade out colours to match the kite skin. It is a nightmare fitting the rev logo into your design but it has to be done. Thems is the rules.
I hope this helps.
Bazzer

Attached Thumbnails

• 08.jpg
  • 25.jpg
  • P3050012.JPG

Eat ...make Revs ....sleep......repeat!
Maker and designer of B Pro, Zen, XTRA VNT and Masterpiece kites.
Are you "Glued To The Blue"
I am.
Come visit me
www.gluedtotheblue.comgallery_170_47_48984.gifgallery_170_47_18974.gifgallery_170_47_3948.gif
http://www.teamiquad.com

#33 kellykelly

kellykelly

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 02:52 PM

It was so cool seeing the photos of you making the kites!
Very cool.
Thanks,
Kelly

Kelly

Kiting Tampa Bay Kite Club
If you plan on Coming to the Tampa Bay Area. We would love to Fly with you..

Check out Kiting Tampa Bay Web site!
Learn more about our club, events and Lots of great kite links.

Just Friends Flying Kites 

Kite Mania South - 2014 Treasure Island Beach! 

#34 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 03:25 PM

Not to answer for Rev but heres the low down.
There are a few reasons.
Sail cloth handles differently depending on which way the bias of the cloth runs. Thats a flight design thing. It's one of the reasons that the B series feel different.
The other (main) reason is manufacturing. If you can make your panels smaller you can get more out of a piece of 60" wide cloth. More units more money.
A perfectly manufactured kite minimal wastage. Why do you think that most production kites are made from panels rather than appliqué?
Making Revs from one piece of cloth is costly, each one of the triangles at the edges is waste.
I should know. I use around 5.5 yards of cloth to make each set of the "Eyes" and 4 1/4 on the "Sizzle".
A standard factory Rev probably uses just over a yard. You can do this on panel kites but not appliquéd.
Why so much?
Precision and ease of making. Piecing togetehr hundreds of small peices is a nightmare. Laying down one sheet and cutting away what you don't want is alot easier. Keeping it all as simple as possible leads to more complex finished work that can be repeated. Doing a one off is one thing. Doing more is a different ball game.

The center panel is printed and print runs are costly. So to change fabric colour/ ink colour costs $. We have to remember we are not talking about ten kites.
For the masterpiece kites I spray the logos on to the kite so that is why mine are on black and are in fade out colours to match the kite skin. It is a nightmare fitting the rev logo into your design but it has to be done. Thems is the rules.
I hope this helps.
Bazzer

Bazzer, Thank You very much I think I just learned more about kite making in general in that one post then I would have in in 3 to 4 complete forums.

Expaning my mind is always appreciated.
Jim,

Posted Image

#35 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 05:07 PM

:confused!: i also was looking for a custom rev 1.5 , all black vented but was told that the center panel has to be white with the logo, can't the logo be yellow ,white or red any brite color would still stand out with a black center panel

Years ago they did do at least one all black non-vented REV 1.5 with black logo. I was told then by Jim Hadzicki that would not do it again.

Attached Thumbnails

• sm_0296n_00.JPG

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#36 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 05:31 PM

well tell jim to get back into it as that kite would be great to have in my bag in any color.. a solid color rev should be in the production line in any color choise the flier wants...

#37 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 06:54 PM

well tell jim to get back into it as that kite would be great to have in my bag in any color.. a solid color rev should be in the production line in any color choise the flier wants...

Jim does not work at Revolution anymore, so you will have to convince Ben or Lollie.
That particular REV was the basis for some of my appliqué work. It now looks like this attached photo.

Attached Thumbnails

• sm_199606_34.JPG

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#38 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 07:20 PM

You know thats a very interesting statement right there, if anyone could explain how that works and maybe a few examples I think that would make a very interesting Topic.

Now when you say bias of the cloth I could see how that would effect the fabric that have rectangle's woven in but how does that work with standard square weave?

I realize what they did with the B-Series via the panels, I didn't feel much difference except actually a increasing pulling effect in certain parts of the window, maybe as the sail stretches it will be more noticeable, for that I can see where those panels will make a big difference.

I really should start a new thread for this lol.
Jim,

Posted Image

#39 Bazzer

Bazzer

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 08:46 AM

You know thats a very interesting statement right there, if anyone could explain how that works and maybe a few examples I think that would make a very interesting Topic.

Now when you say bias of the cloth I could see how that would effect the fabric that have rectangle's woven in but how does that work with standard square weave?

I realize what they did with the B-Series via the panels, I didn't feel much difference except actually a increasing pulling effect in certain parts of the window, maybe as the sail stretches it will be more noticeable, for that I can see where those panels will make a big difference.

I really should start a new thread for this lol.

When I first started making single line kites this whole bias stretch thing was rammed into my head.
Any piece of fabric tensioned diagonally across the grain will stretch.
To Make clearer.
Look at the ripstop.
Squares structures. If they are cut in line with the squares. The cloth is cut on the grain.
Cut across the squares Diamonds. On the bias.

A delta kite is a good example.
If you make three kites,
one with the grain square across the trailing edge,
one on the bias,
one with a square grain and a bias edge.
You will find that the kites with the matched bias fly. The one on the bias will eventually stretch and have more billow in the trailing edge and will stay in the air longer but look saggy.
The one with the mixed edges will fly over to the bias edge side, if not spin!
If the edges match perfectly this is never a problem.
Billow is not an evil, it can be usefully.
If you have a flat sail and want to create more dept in the sail( camber) you can position a few bias edges together in the middle of the sail. Eventually the sail will stretch at the bias edges producing camber. The sail never wants to lay flat again.
Before anyone asks, the stitches sewn on the bias do not rip out easier and Ripstop (nylon/or polyester) still stretches on the bias. Even though it is stuck together with a varnish finish (polyurethane)

DO you remember leach lines in the trailing edges?
It stops that farting noise.
More importantly...
It also stops a sail panel cut on the bias from stretching on the trailing edge. Still allowing the internal seams to stretch and produce camber.
The result. More stable flight and a sail that doesn't fall out if the sky when the wind stops. Take a look through your old 2 line stunt kites with this in mind a piece the puzzle together.
Not all of this kite design stuff is making pretty sails!
OK enough nerd talk. We will be onto wing loading if your not carefully! ;)

Bazzer :sign_kitelife:

Eat ...make Revs ....sleep......repeat!
Maker and designer of B Pro, Zen, XTRA VNT and Masterpiece kites.
Are you "Glued To The Blue"
I am.
Come visit me
www.gluedtotheblue.comgallery_170_47_48984.gifgallery_170_47_18974.gifgallery_170_47_3948.gif
http://www.teamiquad.com

#40 mousieo

mousieo

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 10:12 AM

Thanks Bazzer,
That just went into my reference library...
hugs mousie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users