Fenman

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 12:08 PM

Hi All
Just bought my first rev,which is shipping from the states as we speak,
Good old kitelife , anyway i got to thinking?
Can revs be dated with the pattern,or the colors on the sail?

Attached Images

• small_rev_1_5_sle_01.jpg

#2 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 03:20 AM

If you have a quick look on the main Rev page it looks like maybe it is not a "New" colour. Maybe form 2006?

#3 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 02:24 PM

Rev 1.5 models have changed in panel pattern once before, i believe, and so have the colors. So..... for some revs, yes.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#4 steveb

steveb

Occasional Poseur

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 03:26 PM

Didn't the previous version of 1.5s have Mylar panels?
Here's a pic of one of my older Rev 1.5s, dating back to '01.
I have a feeling that your 1.5 panel layout was late '90s, but I could be wrong. I'm sure one of the experts will set us straight.

#5 Fenman

Fenman

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 03:33 PM

Rev 1.5 models have changed in panel pattern once before, i believe, and so have the colors. So..... for some revs, yes.

Thanks for looking and helping out everyone so with all your your years of flying the Revs,could anyone put a year to mine,
As i understand it the lenght of the lines changed re top and bottom a few years ago?? Any help welcome ??
cheers

#6 steveb

steveb

Occasional Poseur

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 03:43 PM

I did a little detective work in the Internet Archives and found a similar pattern Rev 1.5 SLE on the January 25, 1999 version of GWTW Kites.

#7 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 04:44 PM

Hi All
Just bought my first rev,which is shipping from the states as we speak,
Good old kitelife , anyway i got to thinking?
Can revs be dated with the pattern,or the colors on the sail?

If my memory serves me right, that would be the original 1.5 SLE panel layout which I think was introduced in January 1998.
I think that layout was replaced in January 2000 at which time I think they introduced mylar on some of the sails or was mylar a year or so later. Seems to me the Speed series was the first with mylar.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#8 steveb

steveb

Occasional Poseur

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 07:41 PM

Going back to March, 1997, an earlier version of the Rev 1.5.
It has 5 panels, as opposed to Fenman's 7.

#9 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 08:03 PM

Going back to March, 1997, an earlier version of the Rev 1.5.
It has 5 panels, as opposed to Fenman's 7.

Yes, that was the 1st REV 1.5. I supplied that particular photo to Dan Whitney back when he was developing his GWTW original web site for Revolutions.
There is another photo of that particular REV 1.5(No.31) and the vented version(No.44) at: http://johnnmitchell...olutions-2.html

International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

#10 rudolph

rudolph
  • Forum Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 09:21 PM

Yes they can be dated according to some. However you need not to worry about buying them flowers.

#11 Fenman

Fenman

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 12:26 AM

Yes they can be dated according to some. However you need not to worry about buying them flowers.

Cool no flowers ,but because its a Rev ,Have we all pulled ???? :P
Thanks everyone for trying to date it{her}, This is getting intresting ,,Is the setup going to be the same on the rev that i have compared to the revs of today,
IS there any big improvments from the 90s to today {1.5 SLE}???

#12 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 04:40 AM

there are always improvements, but the set-up and skill-sets to be learned are all the same. Enjoy your new kite, it will do everything the current state of the art will do. Remember it ain't the tool,... it's the experience of the user (that makes things look perfect!)

#13 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 07:06 AM

JOHN,your Mr REV ALRIGHT :) .

BRIAN...

#14 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 10:48 AM

That flowers thing had me thinking for a while. Flowers, date, I get it. LoL.

#15 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 11:23 AM

Thanks for looking and helping out everyone so with all your your years of flying the Revs,could anyone put a year to mine,
As i understand it the lenght of the lines changed re top and bottom a few years ago?? Any help welcome ??
cheers

The line length difference was only between early REV I's and later ones. All original REV IIs and REV 1.5s used equal line lengths from the first day.

For the REV 1.5:
Each change in material, pattern and rods differences offered improvements and in some cases the opposite.
The first REV 1.5 sold had a nylon sail and "Ultra Light" labeled (3-wrap) rods. The vented version, of course had the horizontal vent, but also had the tougher "Revolution Equipped" labeled (4-wrap) rods. This version, if my memory serves me correctly, was on the market from January 1995(maybe later that same year) through 1997.

During this time I created and Icarex(polyester) version(No.42) which Revolution printed their logo. This and a similar REV 1.5(No. 43) were created for movie promotional work with Buena Vista Studios in Germany.

In January 1998, if my memory serves me correctly, Revolution introduced their first Icarex(polyester) REV 1.5(called the SLE). They also added the SLE rods. I found that this REV 1.5 was much more radical and trick happy then it's predecessor. The down fall is that it lacked in precision and was not as good team kite as the earlier 1.5. I found by changing the LE to the same as the down rods, that it became a very good team kite, even with the polyester sail. This REV also had a pattern change from 2 to 3 horizontal panels on each side. I think the EXP was also introduced at about this same time looking much like the original REV 1.5 but with new colors.

In January 2000, if my memory serves me correctly, Revolution introduced a new pattern layout for the REV 1.5(called the SLE). What seems to be missing in my memory is whether they offered mylar at this time or did it come later. This new pattern layout led too many more interesting colors mixtures.

I think it was January 2004 when they changed to the present panel layout for the REV 1.5(called the SLE). I am not really up-to-date on the EXP, but I think its present panel change was in January 2007, to look very similar to the REV 1.5 of 2008 except that the center panel is smaller.

In January 2007, the REV 1.5 JB was introduced. This had a new panel lay out with vertical panels for the venting. These vertical panels, due to the layout tend to bellow slightly, thus improving slightly overall the flight characteristics of the REV 1.5 over other panel layouts.

As for the rods, there are various versions of which all, to my knowledge, are still available today.
- 1/4" in 2, 3 and 4 wrap (Professional Only, Ultra Light and Revolution Equipped, respectively), introduced 1995 and 1996.
- 7/16"(SLE) in "Ultra Light" and "Revolution Equipped", introduced in 1998.
- 1/4" Race Rods introduced in 2007. Robustness seems to lie between a 2 and 3 wrap rod. It's return factor appears much quicker then a 2 wrap, approaching the 3 wrap but with about the same weight as a 2 wrap. I picture them as having the best of both 2 and 3 wrap rods.

The mylar was used in at least the 2004 pattern and maybe the 2000 pattern. The only advantage, outside of what some would say looks, that I found is tossing the REV like a javelin. It glided exceptionally well. The mylar I found would loose the wind very quickly at the sides of the wind window and simply start dropping. I have also heard that the polyester and mylar versions can not take as much abuse as the all polyester sail. The mylar won't stretch with shock were the polyester will.

#16 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 11:32 AM

AWSOME JM,AWSOME.

BRIAN...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users