Jay Nunes

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 07:51 AM

GO to this Web Site http://www.reeddesign.co.uk/iskcb/
Thank you Roy Reed... :ani_punk: You rock
This is all the Dual line and Multy-line figures...

Pay Close attention to these Multi-line Figures..
MI 1
MI 2
MI 5
MI 12
MI 14 <~~ I think Is very Possable for a Novice Flyer..

For this Free Rev Clinic
These are the Figures we will be Using as our Template.

YOU CAN DO THIS!!! :ani_yahoo:

Kiting Tampa Bay Web Site

Kitemania

February 7-8 2014 Treasure Island Beach..
The NON_Festival weekend of flying...

#22 newrever

newrever
  • Forum Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 10:14 AM

Just my .02

First, let me start by saying I have only been flying since about October of 07 so I'm definitely a novice. I do fly whenever the opportunity presents itself, even if only for an hour. Although I enjoy team and pairs flying when there are other rev flyers around, I make sure I take a break to go off and work on the more difficult things like the hovers, reversing, clockwork, you get the idea. How else can one expect to improve?

Now I see this issue as having two parts:

1- Figures:

I looked at the figures, are there some that I can't do? Absolutely, in fact, some of them would be very difficult to say the least; others are just a crash & burn waiting to happen. Will this prevent me from competing? Absolutely Not! I would attempt to do whatever figures were chosen to the best of my current ability. Isn't that what you do when you compete in anything else? If I crash, so be it. It is what it is. What better way to see where you weaknesses are so you can concentrate on those areas. With time, practice and more competing (as an improvement gauge), before to long you'll be able to hold your own even against those flyers that have been at it for years.

That brings us to:

2- classes:

I may have to be put in a class that has flyers that are better than I am and have been at it longer than I have. Is that a reason not to compete? No! So I won't win (yet), what's the worst that could happen, I'll crash (ok next time I'll do better). If they fly better than I do then they deserve to win, after all it is a competition. You have to start somewhere and soon your skills will rise to their level. What better way to improve than by watching a better flyer giving his best effort. What better way to pick up tips, tricks and techniques than by talking with better flyers.

The part of competing that is being overlooked is the fact that you are out doing something you love, meeting new people with common interests, catching up with old friends and generally having a great time outdoors. Along the way, you are bound to improve and become a better flyer. How can that be a bad thing?

Jay, I'm up for the clinic and I'm still interested in competing, regardless of the class or figures.
Let's do this

Bob

#23 KYT ADIK

KYT ADIK

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 12:34 PM

Consider it done!!
I will begin working on those manuevers ASAP!
Count on me to show up for sure!!
Anything for some extra fly time!!!

Look forward to meet you ALL!! :blue-grin:

Starna*

Kiting Tampa Bay

Treasure Island Kite Festival & Sport Kite Competition<br style="background-color: rgb(238, 243, 248);">January 19-20 2013

#24 Stephen Hoath

Stephen Hoath

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 12:50 PM

For this Free Rev Clinic

I have been watching this with interest as it is a similar conversation that I have had for years. Now, I have competed in the past and been very lucky and won a few events (mind you the more I practiced the luckier I got :blue_wink: ) and winning is very nice. BUT the best thing I got out of competing was pushing me to do things I would probably not have done otherwise. I am a far better pilot now because I had a go back then. Whilst you may be competing in the same class as someone with more experience than you, the judges are not comparing you with them, they are comparing you with the figure. You can then compare yourself with yourself, as long as you did your best and maybe improved on last time a little, then you are a success. The scores are just a way of seeing how far you have come.

So yes, the figures are hard, and yes, you may crash, but so did I, so did (dare I say it :kid_devlish: ) John Barressi when he started, but no one ever laughed at us, no one ever said I shouldn't really be there. All the judges gave me positive feedback (even if it was just to say they liked the colour of the kite :kid_content: ) and I went away with huge personal satisfaction, a whole bunch of new friends and some a healthy does of self respect.

It can be difficult along the way and it may be frustrating some times but remember back to when you learnt to drive. That was hard too but now you do it every day.

You never know, you may turn out to be better than you thought, and for those of you who haven't been flying for a long time, that's not important either. Sky Dance (old dual line kite team) started out in 1994 and decided their goal was to be World Champions (we can dream can't we) in the first year they lost pretty much everything and made some fantastic friends. The year after they won the European Championships and came 4th at World Cup. That could be you.

So, give it a go, you know you want to.

Stephen

Stephen Hoath

<a href="http://www.baidesign.net" rel="nofollow">Bai Design</a>

cappalatte-150x90.jpg

#25 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,380 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 01:17 PM

GO to this Web Site <a href="http://www.reeddesign.co.uk/iskcb/" target="_blank">http://www.reeddesign.co.uk/iskcb/</a>
Thank you Roy Reed... :ani_punk: You rock
This is all the Dual line and Multy-line figures...

Pay Close attention to these Multi-line Figures..
MI 1
MI 2
MI 5
MI 12
MI 14 <~~ I think Is very Possable for a Novice Flyer..

For this Free Rev Clinic
These are the Figures we will be Using as our Template.

Jay, There is a problem with the compulsories.
Please download the last ISK Compulsories Book version 2.1 dated 1 August 2006 at: http://www.worldsportkite.com/irbc.htm or from the AKA web site or other web sites.
The problem is, most of the compulsories you listed are now obsolete.
MI 06, 11 and 14 went obsolete on 1 August 2006.
MI 01, 05, 10 and 12 went obsolete on 1 August 2005.
These compulsories were all replaced by new compulsories AND three new compulsories were added, bringing MI compulsories up to 15 compulsories for sanctioned competitions from AJSKA, AKA and STACK.

You will find some right nice compulsories even for the novice.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#26 Jay Nunes

Jay Nunes

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 02:59 PM

Jay, There is a problem with the compulsories.

I chose these Figures for two Reasons: :ani_victory:
1) The Reed Web Site is animated and the New Rev Flier can See exactly what they need to do.
2) Out of all the figures I thought these were the Most Feasable for a Rev Clinic for new Fliers.

Please download the last ISK Compulsories Book version 2.1 dated 1 August 2006 at: http://www.worldsportkite.com/irbc.htm or from the AKA web site or other web sites.

Thank you for the link Sir :ani_notworthy: but I'll stay with Reeds Animated figures for this Clinic.

The problem is, most of the compulsories you listed are now obsolete..

There is still not enough Competitors to host Multi-line Precision at this event. :doh:
So I am moving forward with the Rev Clinic.
With that in Mind. Obsolete figures are Irrelevent.

If we get enough competitors we will choose Appropriate Figures at that Point. :ani_rtfm:

Gang all I am trying to do is Give away what was so Freely given to me..
so Far We have Bob and Kyt Adik for the Clinic.
Who else wants in ???? :crazy:

Kitemania

#27 kellykelly

kellykelly

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 04:44 PM

Jay you are doing a great job promoting and teaching REV flying and kiting in your area. B)
I wish we had more people like you to help that take the time out to teach others.
A big thank you!

Kelly

Kiting Tampa Bay Kite Club
If you plan on Coming to the Tampa Bay Area. We would love to Fly with you..

Check out Kiting Tampa Bay Web site!
Learn more about our club, events and Lots of great kite links.

Just Friends Flying Kites 

Kite Mania South - 2014 Treasure Island Beach! 

#28 Jay Nunes

Jay Nunes

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 05:26 PM

Jay you are doing a great job promoting and teaching REV flying and kiting in your area. B)
I wish we had more people like you to help that take the time out to teach others.
A big thank you!

Kelly Thank you
Ya know I love ya buddy...
come on down You and dennis can Crash at my House :kid_smartass:

Kitemania

#29 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,380 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 05:53 PM

1) The Reed Web Site is animated and the New Rev Flier can See exactly what they need to do.
2) Out of all the figures I thought these were the Most Feasable for a Rev Clinic for new Fliers.

Thank you for the link Sir :ani_notworthy: but I'll stay with Reeds Animated figures for this Clinic.

Jay, I have worked close with Roy on the latest animated versions of the ISK Compulsories. He has all of them and they have been confirmed to be correct. You will find all of the present and obsolete compulsories animated by Roy Reed at: http://www.reeddesign.co.uk/iskcb/

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#30 DWayne

DWayne

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 05:53 PM

If it was about 3,000 miles closer I'd be on it like a duck on a june bug. :P

Denny

#31 kellykelly

kellykelly

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 06:27 PM

Thanks Jay you are the best! B)
Dennis and I will try to come back down and fly with you this year!!!

Kelly

Kiting Tampa Bay Kite Club
If you plan on Coming to the Tampa Bay Area. We would love to Fly with you..

Check out Kiting Tampa Bay Web site!
Learn more about our club, events and Lots of great kite links.

Just Friends Flying Kites 

Kite Mania South - 2014 Treasure Island Beach! 

#32 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 12:51 AM

All the judges gave me positive feedback (even if it was just to say they liked the colour of the kite :kid_content: )

Somebody said they liked the colour of my kite when we all got together at dunstable - now I know what they meant :kid_brooding:

Being a newbie myself, and having come on leaps and bounds with my skills at the recent training day here in the UK, you cannot let a great offer like Jay's pass you by. At the start of our training meet I stuggled to make the kite hover. By the end, and with a little help from my new friends, I was doing 7 person team flying, shoulder to shoulder with members of the Flying Squad. As Stephen says, only by trying to do thing you can't do will you learn things you can do!

When did your attorney last offer you the benefit of his skill and training for free? Has your accountant recently popped round to your house to mention a quick tax tip? Did your surgeon do the last 'nip and tuck' on interest free credit? Yet here is Jay offering all of his hard earned expertise for nada, not a cent, zilch. It's got to make sense.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#33 TeeCee

TeeCee
  • Forum Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 04:12 AM

Good morning all!

I have read this thread with interest. I'm not a quad flyer myself, but I don't begrudge anyone a choice of kite because we're all kitefliers.

Jay is making a generous offer here to share his time and talents, and that kind of stepping up deserves some dedicated time at MFRSKC II (The Deuce). I haven't talked about it with the folks on the ground in Clearwater yet, but what I would like to do is make The Deuce a two day event to accomodate and enable Jay's flying clinic so that nobody feels rushed. Day one would be dualline events, and day two would be quad day. The folks who run Sand Key Park may already have plans for the beach on Sunday, so stand by for word on that. Steve or Sherri, call me.

Assuming we CAN do quad day on Sunday, we could do field setup and registration according to Saturday's schedule. Jay and I will huddle and plan out a flight schedule for the Clinic, First-Time Competitor Precision and Ballet, and OMB/OMP. More to follow.

MFRSKC policy is that the winner of each First-Timer event wins a kite. I already have a kite donated by a different kite company as a prize for one event, but maybe one of you more senior Rev fliers has a gently - used kite in your bag that's not getting as much flying time as it should? Donations are always welcome at MFRSKC.

Registration for The Deuce is free to First - Time Competitors and a flat $10.00 fee for current Competitors. The Registration form is available at the Eastern League Web site, or e-mail me and I'll send you one.

#34 Jay Nunes

Jay Nunes

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 04:34 AM

Jay, I have worked close with Roy on the latest animated versions of the ISK Compulsories. He has all of them and they have been confirmed to be correct. You will find all of the present and obsolete compulsories animated by Roy Reed at: http://www.reeddesign.co.uk/iskcb/

Thanks John,
I have made my choices based on novice Skills and what I think I can Accomplish at a Clinic..
It is Irrelivent to me if they are Obsolite.. :ani_wallbash:
So Please Can We get on the Real Topic here. :ani_giveup:
Helping New Rev Fliers!!

I haven't talked about it with the folks on the ground in Clearwater yet, but what I would like to do is make The Deuce a two day event to accomodate and enable Jay's flying clinic so that nobody feels rushed.

Tee Cee,
I do not think it is worth all the Set up for another day..
If I get 4 - 8 Fliers I can take them down the Beach and Do the Clinic in about 2 - 3 Hrs or so....

Everybody..
This is a simple thing I am trying to do..
Lets not Make it more complicated then what it is..

I chose Simple figures and am willing to Give my time for Free..
So Lets Move it on to..

WHO WANTS IN?????

Kitemania

#35 TeeCee

TeeCee
  • Forum Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 08:01 AM

Good enough, Jay. I'll hold out lattitude for a change though if there's a groundswell of requests before February 8; after that the schedule is carved in stone as a one-day event.

#36 monkey

monkey

Rev Guru

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 08:09 AM

Not trying to beat a dead horse or take this thread too far off topic, but I thought about entering some competitions here until I found out I'd have to compete against the likes of you, David, and John.

Heh, well, honestly, with all the iQuad flying lately, I doubt John and I will see much comp this season, but, it wasn't that long ago when I was a n00b at competing as well, and I just got used to be clobbered by John, and truly thats part of the learning process. Each comp I did, I learned a little more and gained a little ground and confidence. I got blown out the first few comps I entered but, by the end of that season, I'd grabbed the Experienced precision AKA title and VERY NEARLY swept ballet away too. The next year? I got my butt handed to me in nearly every Masters comp I entered save for one. :D

I like competition, its fun, and a good way to meet more people. And learning the precision figures will do WONDERS for any quad flyer's skills.

And, yes, I HAVE seen Barresi blow a figure in precision, but, as a 4 timesinarow AKA Masters Precision champ, we can cut him a little slack I think... ;-) (actually, i never cut him slack in competition, I always aim to beat him and one day, somehow... ;-)

I'd agree that many of the figures are brutally tough, theres a few that still give me issues some days, but, they are all doable and the AKA did add a few easier ones a couple of years ago. What we have seen in the northwest is a splitting of Masters and Experienced classes, with easier figures being chosen for the experienced people.

(evil monkey - sometimes, watching experienced precision on hard figures can be pure comedy GOLD! Camel backs in particular. And, I say that with the full knowledge that I have reeeeally blown that figure as well over the years. But, I can say with 100% confidence that if you work on them, you will get them right.
David Hathaway, Revisionist
-~ REVisions
-~ www.simian-studios.ca
-~ www.teamiquad.com
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis!

#37 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 09:26 AM

2) .................................

That in it's self is reason enough.

While experienced competitors discuss the finer points of weather this figure or that is the better one for a novice to practice to bring up his skill level, it is very easy to forget that notation that you take for granted can appear as Ancient Greek to a novice. You can show a score to a musician and it has meaning but if someone canít read music a recording makes much more sense.
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#38 DWayne

DWayne

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 10:09 AM

Heh, well, honestly, with all the iQuad flying lately, I doubt John and I will see much comp this season, but, it wasn't that long ago when I was a n00b at competing as well, and I just got used to be clobbered by John, and truly thats part of the learning process. Each comp I did, I learned a little more and gained a little ground and confidence. I got blown out the first few comps I entered but, by the end of that season, I'd grabbed the Experienced precision AKA title and VERY NEARLY swept ballet away too. The next year? I got my butt handed to me in nearly every Masters comp I entered save for one. :D

I like competition, its fun, and a good way to meet more people. And learning the precision figures will do WONDERS for any quad flyer's skills.

And, yes, I HAVE seen Barresi blow a figure in precision, but, as a 4 timesinarow AKA Masters Precision champ, we can cut him a little slack I think... ;-) (actually, i never cut him slack in competition, I always aim to beat him and one day, somehow... ;-)

I'd agree that many of the figures are brutally tough, theres a few that still give me issues some days, but, they are all doable and the AKA did add a few easier ones a couple of years ago. What we have seen in the northwest is a splitting of Masters and Experienced classes, with easier figures being chosen for the experienced people.

(evil monkey - sometimes, watching experienced precision on hard figures can be pure comedy GOLD! Camel backs in particular. And, I say that with the full knowledge that I have reeeeally blown that figure as well over the years. But, I can say with 100% confidence that if you work on them, you will get them right.

All good points. But personally I'd rather meet you guys on the beach at an iQuad clinic. I think I'd learn more and have a lot more fun than I would getting my arse handed to me on the competition field. :P But that's just me. Don't get me wrong, I'm really into learning, just not real big on public humiliation. :lol:

Denny

#39 monkey

monkey

Rev Guru

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 01:59 PM

All good points. But personally I'd rather meet you guys on the beach at an iQuad clinic. I think I'd learn more and have a lot more fun than I would getting my arse handed to me on the competition field. :P But that's just me. Don't get me wrong, I'm really into learning, just not real big on public humiliation. :lol:

Denny

I have a special secret that will nearly always guarantee you a victory in quad precision.

Run thru the figures a few times before the event. This will put you ahead of many of the competitors. ;-)

Personally, I tend to prefer simply going to a festival and flying all day as well, but, I do feel that some competition experience is very very valuable, and fun, as well. I can very safely say that without the experience I picked up competing, I wouldn't be doing the iQuad thing right now. :sign_kitelife:
David Hathaway, Revisionist
-~ REVisions
-~ www.simian-studios.ca
-~ www.teamiquad.com
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis!

#40 Jay Nunes

Jay Nunes

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 06:35 PM

We have till Friday to gain 4 flyers for Tee Cee to Host a Multi-line Precision event...

Kitemania

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users