1.5 SUL Markings

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 jparr

jparr
  • Forum Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 07:12 PM

My new 1.5 SUL showed up today, but the sail is marked 1.5 SLE. Is this correct? It has the lightweight spectra bridle, and the Professional Use Only spars, but is this the right sail?

#2 monkey

monkey

Rev Guru

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 07:15 PM

This is correct, the only two sail markings I have seen with 1.5s is either the EXP or SLE versions.
David Hathaway, Revisionist
-~ REVisions
-~ www.simian-studios.ca
-~ www.teamiquad.com
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis!

#3 Stephen Hoath

Stephen Hoath

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 09:11 AM

Just a quick tip for you and your new bridle.  The spectra can slip and this will change the bridle.  We have had these SUL's for 3 years now and most of the team have had a slip to some degree or other.  It is ok if both sides move the same but this does not usualy happen.

So the tip, firstly using a permanent marker, put a mark on the bridal where the knot now is.  Secondly, dab a little bit of super glue on the knots.

Has anyone else experienced this situation?

Stephen Hoath

<a href="http://www.baidesign.net" rel="nofollow">Bai Design</a>

cappalatte-150x90.jpg

#4 Hans

Hans
  • Forum Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 05:04 AM

I replaced the spectra bridle for the standard bridle.
Didn't notice a difference when flying in real low wind conditions.

Good winds,

#5 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 05:21 PM

i dont have a 1.5 sul but im gonna get one and thanks for that advise my 1.5 sle is fitted with a exp leading edge and that gives my kite great light wind pefromance
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#6 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 03:33 AM

I just replace the bridle also, but I've seen people tie an extra overhand knot behind the originals, so they can't slide around.

SUL 1.5 is their best model, you'll love it!

#7 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 06:15 PM

ive done that on some of my dual line kites
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#8 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 10:57 AM

I avoid spectra bridles all together... Not enough flight difference to me for the hassle of slipped knots.

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#9 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 06:12 AM

Once again the more I read the more confused I get. If this spectra bridle is so bad why would Rev continue to ship it that way? I should be getting my SUL any day now. I am told the shipping process starts today. I think from what I can gather from above. I will put a dab of super glue on the knots. I hope that works. What a great forum. Problem solved before I even have the kite in my hands. I was surprised to read that the SUL will come with SLE on the sail! I wonder why.At least now I won’t go nuts.

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#10 lummas

lummas

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 07:03 AM

I was surprised to read that the SUL will come with SLE on the sail! I wonder why.

Basically, when they redesigned the Rev 1.5 a few years back they came out with the SLE (Super Leading Edge). This had a slight redesign to the panel layout and most importantly came with the much thicker Super Leading Edge rods for the leading edge. Since then, all 1.5 sails that of this same design are marked SLE. When you order an SUL it comes with 1/4 inch narrow professional use leading edge, but the sail is still the same sail, hence it is still marked SLE.

Did that help...... I'm not sure but it was fun to write!?

Thanks,

Mark.

#11 play365

play365

The Flying Squad

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 07:58 AM

Basically, when they redesigned the Rev 1.5 a few years back they came out with the SLE (Super Leading Edge). This had a slight redesign to the panel layout and most importantly came with the much thicker Super Leading Edge rods for the leading edge. Since then, all 1.5 sails that of this same design are marked SLE. When you order an SUL it comes with 1/4 inch narrow professional use leading edge, but the sail is still the same sail, hence it is still marked SLE.

Did that help...... I'm not sure but it was fun to write!?

Thanks,

Mark.

Also my sul has a ripstop leading edge not dacron :rolleyes:
GARY

Posted Image

#12 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 08:46 AM

If I am reading this right. I can put my SLE frame on my SUL and have a SLE or vice versa.

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#13 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 10:02 AM

There are other differences in the SUL vs. the standard SLE. As mentioned, the leading edge material is different (and lighter duty) as well as sail material which is a lighter oz. than the standard, the bridle is different and of course, the rods are the SUL rods (pro use only). When Rev has their logo printed on the center section of the 1.5's, they are all printed the same and at the same time, that is with the SLE marking, they do not have a second printing process for the SUL. The center panel is the same on all 1.5 models, most everything else is different.

Hope that helps clear things up a bit.

#14 lummas

lummas

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 10:08 AM

If I am reading this right. I can put my SLE frame on my SUL and have a SLE or vice versa.

Well basically. However, as pointed by someone else, the SUL sail is delivered with a lightweight leading edge material too to help make the sail lighter. I had forgotten to mention that.

The bridle is made of spectra to lighten it up too.

I see someone mentioned that the sail material is also lighter, but in fact that is not the case any more.

Revolution used to do this but have since changed to using the same 3/4 oz sail material for all sails.

Thanks,

Mark

#15 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 11:42 AM

I hope one of the REV guys jumps in and sets us all straight. There are just too many contradictions here. If the sail is now the same. Then it is just the same kite with a lighter :huh: frame.

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#16 monkey

monkey

Rev Guru

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 12:01 PM

I hope one of the REV guys jumps in and sets us all straight. There are just too many contradictions here. If the sail is now the same. Then it is just the same kite with a lighter :huh: frame.

Im not sure I count as a REV guy for this however...

The difference between the SUL and the Standard as as follows : (given I haven't seen a 2007 SUL, this counts for earlier ones ;-))

SUL - ripstop leading edge as compared to the SLE's Dacron
SUL - no SLE rod, just a frame of 2 wrap (Professional Use Only) rods.
SUL - lightweight Spectra Bridle
SUL - no mylar panels

Beyond that, the label is the same but, the kite is definitely lighter than an SLE, even if framed in the same rod set.

Does that help? And yes, any frame can be interchanged into another sail, John and I frequently will fly vented 1.5s with SUL rods.
-~ REVisions
-~ www.simian-studios.ca
-~ www.teamiquad.com

#17 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 12:45 PM

Monkey,
Even I understood that.
I guess one of the reasons I want to KNOW all of this is because I will now have a SUL, SLE,and Vented. I feel like with all the changing around of rods and leading edges I will have about 9 different kites available to fly on any given day. That was my goal and it would seem that I did good.

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#18 monkey

monkey

Rev Guru

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 12:58 PM

Monkey,
Even I understood that.
I guess one of the reasons I want to KNOW all of this is because I will now have a SUL, SLE,and Vented. I feel like with all the changing around of rods and leading edges I will have about 9 different kites available to fly on any given day. That was my goal and it would seem that I did good.

And indeed, thats exactly right, so much variation is available. I've joked before I could fly in anything at all with a std sail, a vented sail, 1 set of 2, 3 and 4 wrap rods. Of course, I could never travel with so little, im always at my bags the night before "hmmmm, well, ok, maybe this one too..."

;)

if you want some real fun, start swapping rods around even more. IE, I tend to almost always use 2 wrap verticals no matter what the leading edge is. Or, try a 3 wrap center and two wrap edges on the leading edge. Etc, etc.
-~ REVisions
-~ www.simian-studios.ca
-~ www.teamiquad.com

#19 CLTKiter

CLTKiter

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 08:54 AM

I just got to reading this thread, and for sure I'm gonna mark and superglue my bridle on my SUL. I have the spectra bridle and haven't had any trouble [yet]. However, I did tie a short pigtail on each of the 4 attachment points for the lineset so I could larkshead the lineset onto the kite - it kept slipping off the spectra. I didn't figure the heavier weight line would make much difference for such short pieces of pigtail.

Thanks for the hints...

Doug
W.A.C.K.O.S. - Wings Across Carolina Kiting and Okra Society

#20 Kitezen

Kitezen

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 08:35 AM

Seems John has the right idea, (in his street flying video) for the SUL, use it without the bridle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users