65 replies to this topic

#41 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 10:31 PM

There is an option to use your own materials option I think where rev sell you the branded centre panel. Means they get some money for their copy right I believe. Don't think they would be happy if you ordered 40 a month though!

I was thinking. The angle of attack is massive normally. I suspect the kite behaves like an aerofoil when you do say an inverted float.in which case the belly would be relevant. But the rest of the time is is a big air ram. Reduce the angle of attack of the centre of the sail as you do when the leading edge bends to far and it is very likely to drive like a horse. Think of what happens dead downwind when you loose your pole downhaul. The spin nearly pulls the boat out the water and is a sod to get down.

Sparky - can you not have a word with the committee and get revs as a 2012 Olympic class?

Must try and fly with you guys in the better weather. You sound suitably nuts!
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#42 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 01:29 AM

Must try and fly with you guys in the better weather. You sound suitably nuts!

I was thinking the same thing - you guys would get together and melt our brains too.

Sailor> The inverted stuff you were showing me the other day - is that what they call the float ?

The "bowtie" I mentioned which happens to me sometimes is probably caused by my enthusiam to get the darn thing to lift backwards.... is that what you meant by oversteering/overpowering it ?
Strange that as my tiny wrists aren't used to pulling that hard!

I'll keep practising.
ThanX.
1 of the 47.

#43 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 02:07 AM

The float is slightly different. In fact the float is two different things. One, the inverted float, is similar to an inverted hover, and I am sure being able to hover upside down is really a precursor to it. Stoneintheshoe Bob pointed my in the right direction to learn it, and very happy to show you when there is no wind.

Yes - by over controlling/over steering I do mean getting over enthusiastic with your your wrists and yes it does result in a bow tie. If you put on too much break (and it doesn't take much to do this, certainly even your tiny wrists can do it), then one of the tips will blow round and hey presto! Bow tie. Think about holding the handles really gently and near horizontal, controlling the amount of reverse with just you pinky and ring finger, a smooth pull to your hips to launch with modest reverse, gently does it, let the kite fly itself. At first aim to get just a foot or two off the ground with no wobbles, then gently return back down (Avoid full speed dives into the ground - control that speed as well as you can). Then increase the height you can gently reverse up to in increments, and back down. When that is off to pat have a go at hovering. At least that's the way I got there! Also remember to take a break to rest your wrists and clear you mind - don't let it become a frustration or you will learn nothing. The final stage is to learn to hover at all the angles - upright and vertical (Which you can do of course) but also at 45 degrees both upside down and the right way up.

Remember being able to hover in any orientation is the basis of almost everything else. With out a stable hover you cannot do slides, clockwork, precision, de-powering and controlling the kite (Which you will really love).... Getting the hovers right gives you a hugely increased repertoire I found - a very freeing experience! A few minutes practice two or three times every flying session is one of the best investments you will make in your flying.

BTW - I have no idea why holding the handles horizontal helps, but it does! Mystery of the day.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

#44 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 02:16 AM

here is a cool funsized one that i like

100_1715.JPG

its not a rev but flies alot like one
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#45 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 02:41 AM

The final stage is to learn to hover at all the angles - upright and vertical (Which you can do of course) but also at 45 degrees both upside down and the right way up.

This is why I needed the extra bit of coaching:
Groz & I can hover in all the angles from about 7 o'clock through to the 5 o'clock position but not the upside down one (yet).

When it is a decent wind day, what percentage of time do you dedicate to precision practise compared to freestyle fun ?

Antman> that's a pretty funsized kite, quite a rainbow!
1 of the 47.

#46 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 03:03 AM

Choccy ..

That's a good question... I would be interested to know how people spend their flying time... as a newbie I am finding its all about practice and learning, trying to do the stuff you see in video's and read in these forums.... not so much freestyle fun... don't feel qualified to slack off yet!

With the different kites, lines, rods and handles I use, I find the first few minutes are all about balance and figuring out how twitchy the set up is in the prevailing conditions and tweaking accordingly (ok I used to trim sails for a living I cant help it!!) ... I then seem to spend the next 10 minutes hovering inverted (or trying to) ... for some reason that's the one thing that tells me whether I am set up right/comfortable to try and develop other areas ... currently that means trying to learn clock turns ... always clockwise for me .. just cant get any feel for going anti-clockwise yet which I guess will be the next thing ... work on the weak areas...

Most of my sessions are limited to an hour at the end of the day before its time for bath and story time (young kids can really limit your flying time!) so I normally rig up the Shockwave for the last few minutes to see if Ive learnt anything... going back to the 1.5's then seems like slow motion and I can convince myself driving home that I'm getting it ... dream on! :blue-sleepy:

#47 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 03:43 AM

About 98%. The other 2% is spent going to the loo. But then again I am sad and should get out more.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

#48 play365

play365

The Flying Squad

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 03:46 AM

So the logic to me is the bendier the leading edge the more forgiving the kite will be to gusty conditions and the less it will pull ... Try a shockwave in 20+ knots, all together stiffer structure is very much on/off in terms of power and you can only really control the amount of power via angle of attack/break.

Good times :kid_devlish:

Sorry I disagree when the wind picks up I tend to go with a SLE leading edge in my teabag it pulls less because the sail is not bagging in the middle, and is less twichy ?
GARY

Posted Image

#49 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 07:12 AM

Hmm .. SLE hadn't factored that in ... so what we need is a unified theory of everything ... interesting

Ok my simplistic sailing brain (sorry haven't developed a kite brain yet) says that the amount of leading edge bend is the key in relation to the curve/shape (what we would call luff curve) of the leading edge ... like any sail/spar combination the relationship between these too elements is key to control and power delivery/generation ... so depending on what kite/design/sail at some point the SLE comes into play as any loss of gust responsiveness will be offset by a better flying shape in the sail ... (if I'm starting to contradict my earlier posts then that's because I'm thinking out loud ... always dangerous in my case) ...... and again this is complicated by bungee tension and general ability of the sail and frame to hold the designed sail shape in higher winds .... sails on boats getting progressively flatter (less drag) and less 'powerful' as wind speed increases and I cant see why the same wouldn't be desirable in a kite?

Actually thinking about it I will put my hand up and admit that for the first 3 weeks I had my rev I flew it with the vertical spars in front of the sail (duh ... read the instructions stupid!) ... in any breeze control was 'interesting' as the sail was too full and able to 'pull' the kite around the sky .... as soon as I reversed them all was well and I was suddenly back in control (relatively) ... no change in anything but sail shape .... or was it just that the break lines were as a result connected to the sail via the bungees in this set up so all controls had a built in delay/vagueness .. tweak break line, stretch bungee then pull sail as apposed to tweak line pull rod together with sail.....

Discuss!

#50 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 08:08 AM

Actually thinking about it I will put my hand up and admit that for the first 3 weeks I had my rev I flew it with the vertical spars in front of the sail

Not an uncommon problem... many folks have fallen to this mistake.
We saw someone up "Watership Down" last year struggling because of the very same error.
Even the best.... have to start somewhere ;)
1 of the 47.

#51 steveb

steveb

Occasional Poseur

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 08:19 AM

Choccy- have you tried tails on your kite in higher winds?
The kite's air speed generates pull; adding drag slows it down and reduces pull, not to mention looks great in the sky!
I sometimes attach a pair of 100' ribbon tails or 36' tube tails to the ends of the vertical spars when the wind picks up.
The only trouble is they can easily tangle on bushes or other things on the ground and can be a handful to put away when the wind is blowing hard.

#52 kiteslinger

kiteslinger

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 02:39 PM

Micro rev

Posted Image

#53 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 03:08 PM

my next project lol
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#54 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 01:05 AM

Micro rev...

So cute kiteslinger ;)

Steveb> nice idea we shall get some more tails/tubes.
Cheers.
1 of the 47.

#55 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 12:36 PM

Micro rev
Posted Image

Interesting :g:

Not spared in Rev Equipped I hope :)
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#56 kiteslinger

kiteslinger

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 02:29 PM

it was one of the first things I stitched together and was trying the monogram mode but i never got around in framing it

I done another from the middle section from a rev 2 { i striped down to make another custom sail} framed that one but never bridled it

#57 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 06:13 AM

Vented Rev II - smaller sail, plus the vents reduce the pull and twitchiness, making it quite manageable in blustery winds.

;)
1 of the 47.

#58 Aerochic

Aerochic

Revadelic

• Forum Member
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 07:10 AM

Micro rev

Hee hee! That's adorable!

Better Living Through Rev Flying...

Rev Themed Ts & Goodies: http://www.zazzle.co...ckarts/clothing
Aerostakes: http://www.etsy.com/shop/LeshockArts
Rev Galleries: http://www.revkites....=user&user=1408
Flickr Pics: http://www.flickr.co...s/16896184@N05/

#59 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 01:56 AM

Hi Choccy, a good question and one that we have to deal with in the team having at least one young lady who is smaller than the men.

This is a very interesting case... I'm wondering how your petite flyer copes when taller team memebers are standing fairly close to one another and perform for example after the benefits in your "Daydream" routine the "to the edges" cross over bit.

I find my handles mash against the next persons/vice versa but more importantly their lines lay ontop of mine thus making it harder for me. Maybe I am going too far over ???!

any tips.

On the funsized issue, in our fairly strong wind I can just about cope with the vented B but really need the mega vented.
Even BigBri's old EXP teabag was pulling me up hill in 30mph+ :(
I am going to learn to sew and make myself a FLIC style mega star vented kite for those strong wind days, seeing as no one wants to start producing and selling them.
1 of the 47.

#60 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 01:58 AM

If you can find one, I would recommend a Rev II as a nice kite for someone who likes a lighter pulling kite. It is very quick and a bit manic, but longer lines help.

Thanks to this thread and the generousity and kindness of Steve, I now own a cute funsized REV II

thanx Steve ;)
1 of the 47.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users