65 replies to this topic

#1 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 01:26 AM

I would be interested in the science behind the possibility that one day I could own a small-Rev for the smaller framed person.

Most of you guys are average to above in frame and have good ballast (for want of a better word)
when flying your Revs in stronger wind situations/gusts, and therefore don't fall over so much, at all.

I'm concentrating more on not falling over (from the strong gusts) to actually learning how to fly :blue-confused:

I know children have been seen to fly Revs who are obviously smaller and lighter than myself.

I have a similar fear about being dragged over, when flying other types of kites.
I am much more confident flying smaller kites, and at best on a soft beach (which isn't always possible).

If this is a totally ridiculous idea, I'll delete this thread.
Please no flames.
1 of the 47.

#2 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 02:23 AM

Having been dragged all over Dunstable Downs last weekend, I fully understand your concerns. So no flaming coming from this part of the world, and it is not a ridiculous idea IMHO.

There is a downside, as I understand it, to a smaller rev. I would imagine the reduction in size would also lead to a more twitchy kite. Rev already make a kite smaller than the 1.5 (which I am guessing is what you have) in the Rev 2, and this is indeed more twitchy I understand. This is of course exactly the opposite of what someone who is trying to learn wants!

Maybe, not knowing what you are currently flying, the answer for you is to consider a vented version. This would give rise to a big drop in the drag factor and interestingly it often leads to a more stable kite: Just about exactly what you are looking for. The other thing I was going to mention was something David Ellison showed me last weekend - Setting the kite up with much more break that I previously had on it made the whole thing more manageable. Maybe worth experimenting with for you too.

What kite is it that you are flying at the moment Choccy (funsize)? This may help some of the people with more experience than me to target their replies a little.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#3 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 03:50 AM

What kite is it that you are flying at the moment Choccy (funsize)? This may help some of the people with more experience than me to target their replies a little.

Thanks for your interesting reply.
I have only tried to fly the REV 1.5 SLE.
I think we might get a vented one next - so would help as per your information.
Cheers
1 of the 47.

#4 Aerochic

Aerochic

Revadelic

• Forum Member
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 05:26 AM

Thanks for your interesting reply.
I have only tried to fly the REV 1.5 SLE.
I think we might get a vented one next - so would help as per your information.
Cheers

I'm pretty small in stature, Choccy. My Rev 1.5 SLE became much easier to fly when I put 3 wrap rods in it. Just a thought. I'm only going to use the SLE rods for heavy winds now.

Better Living Through Rev Flying...

Rev Themed Ts & Goodies: http://www.zazzle.co...ckarts/clothing
Aerostakes: http://www.etsy.com/shop/LeshockArts
Rev Galleries: http://www.revkites....=user&user=1408
Flickr Pics: http://www.flickr.co...s/16896184@N05/

#5 Stephen Hoath

Stephen Hoath

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 05:48 AM

I would be interested in the science behind the possibility that one day I could own a small-Rev for the smaller framed person.

Most of you guys are average to above in frame and have good ballast (for want of a better word)
when flying your Revs in stronger wind situations/gusts, and therefore don't fall over so much, at all.

I'm concentrating more on not falling over (from the strong gusts) to actually learning how to fly :blue-confused:

I know children have been seen to fly Revs who are obviously smaller and lighter than myself.

I have a similar fear about being dragged over, when flying other types of kites.
I am much more confident flying smaller kites, and at best on a soft beach (which isn't always possible).

If this is a totally ridiculous idea, I'll delete this thread.
Please no flames.

Hi Choccy, a good question and one that we have to deal with in the team having at least one young lady who is smaller than the men.

As mentioned in one of the previous posts, a vented rev with a lighter frame will solve some of your challenges but technique will play just as important a role.

Next time we are at a festival (Weymouth will be the first UK festival) remind me and I will show you some tips on set up and stance that should deal with most of the issues.

regards

Stephen

Stephen Hoath

<a href="http://www.baidesign.net" rel="nofollow">Bai Design</a>

cappalatte-150x90.jpg

#6 Dave M

Dave M

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 08:06 AM

Hi Choccy

How about the possibility of a mid-vent

We picked one of these up at the KTAI in Portland
I am not sure if it was a concept or if they will go into
production.

Not had a chance to fly it yet though

Could be the best of both worlds perhaps

Mid_Vent.JPG

regards

Dave M :sign_kitelife:

#7 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 08:18 AM

Hi Choccy, a good question and one that we have to deal with in the team having at least one young lady who is smaller than the men.

As mentioned in one of the previous posts, a vented rev with a lighter frame will solve some of your challenges but technique will play just as important a role.

Next time we are at a festival (Weymouth will be the first UK festival) remind me and I will show you some tips on set up and stance that should deal with most of the issues.

regards

Stephen

ERM,,,,,WEYMOUTH IS THE FIRST SOUTHERN SOFTIES KITE FESTIVAL :kid_devlish: .Thers also Beverley spring kite festival on that weekend.North of the border.Just gives ya another option.That said,ther wont be any ex world champs at Beverley.Just folk that will help ya,just the same :blue_wink: .
The need for REV to produce a vented kite or a more vented kite should i think be priority.Last weekend at one stage the sky was full of homemades,redesigned,holed,quads.The std vented revs couldnt match the stability of the Mega vented kites.Im a larger fellow[watch it]than normal.I was dragged around at times flying my B Series.The guys with ,,mega venteds had a distinct advantage in the conditions,conditions which are quite common here.

BRIAN...

;

#8 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 08:42 AM

Im a larger fellow[watch it]than normal.I was dragged around at times flying my B Series.The guys with ,,mega venteds had a distinct advantage in the conditions,conditions which are quite common here.

I'm a big boy too, and couldn't agree more about the priority. Mind you I suspect my southern softyness was also a factor in being dragged around. :kid_content:
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

#9 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 09:22 AM

I'm a big boy too, and couldn't agree more about the priority. Mind you I suspect my southern softyness was also a factor in being dragged around. :kid_content:

Thanks for all your replies and help.
Stephen> I've made a note in my diary already. ;)
Ah, that doubly explains the factor of being pulled around then - SS.

I think I've just found the perfect REV for myself, it is so cute:

<a href="http://www.aeolian.co.uk/kites/kites03/portsmouth/pm.php?image=g13259" target="_blank">http://www.aeolian.co.uk/kites/kites03/por...hp?image=g13259</a>

(I hope that works).
Lovinly presented by The Flying Squad.
It is a 3rd scale replica.
Also reported to be twitchy. :P
1 of the 47.

#10 AdventureAng

AdventureAng

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 09:26 AM

I think the vented rev is the way to go. I've been wanting one because I too am tiny and can't handle the regular Revs in strong winds because a) it pulls me too hard, or B) my thumbs want to fall off while I'm flying it because it's so strong, or c) I can't really do anything but hover above because the winds are too stong and we all know that lofting isn't really too much fun (that's what single-line kites are for). haha. Anyway, I've been saving up, so hopefully I can get a venter Rev soon. You'd be amazed at the decrease in pull in strong winds, AND it filters out all that crapy turbulance that comes with stronger winds too. All in all, I think it's a great kite to add to the collection. Good luck.
-blue skies and steady winds at your back
~AdventureAng
Happy flying to everybody. Now get off the computer and get a kite out! hehe

#11 Chris Michaud

Chris Michaud
  • Forum Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 10:26 AM

revs have the ability to dump the power, and the skill is necessary in team flight, i would reccomend that you invest time into practicing it, as life gets so much easier as soon as you do, and good luck!

p.s. i learned on a rev 2 and did just fine, longer lines i have found produce less "twitch"

#12 Stephen Hoath

Stephen Hoath

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 11:25 AM

Hi Choccy

How about the possibility of a mid-vent

We picked one of these up at the KTAI in Portland
I am not sure if it was a concept or if they will go into
production.

Not had a chance to fly it yet though

Could be the best of both worlds perhaps

Mid_Vent.JPG

regards

Dave M :sign_kitelife:

The only problem with this kite is that it has iQuad printed all over it (rather than The Flying Squad) - and yes, of course I'm jealous :sign_kitelife:

Stephen Hoath

<a href="http://www.baidesign.net" rel="nofollow">Bai Design</a>

cappalatte-150x90.jpg

#13 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 11:49 AM

I think you will find that is the EXP333333 Choccy. Neat kite, but I don't fancy 'owning the hover' with it. ;)
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

#14 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 12:18 PM

The smaller the kite the faster / twitchier it becomes.

I have a mini Rev, it is past my skills to fly properly. Not that I have much skill mind.

How about a vented Rev 2, smaller sail area so twitchy, venting calms it down. you could then get away with the lighter frame to calm it more, and longer and heavier lines.

The problem will be that eventually the Rev will be so calm it will not fly.

Try as many Revs as you can B4 you decide to buy one. It may be that you need a special design. Just to suit you.

Definatly suggest you try a vented 1.5 and see how you get on with it though.

#15 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 05:50 AM

Thanks to your advice we went and bought a vented Rev.
After much too-ing and fro-ing we decided on a B-series vented 1.5.

I have just come back from my first flight with the B-series vented and I am over the moon. :wub:

This petite-featherweight funsized Choccy is no longer scared of the wind pulling her around.
It was gusting to 20mph today!

We are so amazed at the difference the B vented makes to flying/learning.
And I am picking up the feel for flying much quicker than I ever thought possible!

It was so nice to fly along side Groz with the standard SLE too.
So much so, that we can't wait to purchase a second B-series vented!

Looking forward to flying more now, whatever the wind. :)
1 of the 47.

#16 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 07:38 AM

Really pleased it all worked out for you.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

#17 AdventureAng

AdventureAng

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 08:36 AM

Glad to hear the vented rev is working for you. I have yet to buy one (though I want one SOOO bad). I've flown them a few times and love how easy it is to handel so now I just have to save up my money.
~AdventureAng
Happy flying to everybody. Now get off the computer and get a kite out! hehe

#18 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 08:56 AM

Glad to hear the vented rev is working for you. I have yet to buy one (though I want one SOOO bad). I've flown them a few times and love how easy it is to handel so now I just have to save up my money.

Thanks I am relieved too as you say you have to save up for them... and it would be a lot of money to waste if I didn't get along with it!

Your piccie looks like you are with a vented (that's the cheeky clever design I suppose).
I hope it isn't too long before you are enjoying your own vented B :kid_content:
1 of the 47.

#19 steveb

steveb

Occasional Poseur

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 11:32 AM

I love the Vented 1.5 and will often use Race Rods to fly it in lighter winds. Pull and speed is reduced and it seems to filter out a lot of oopses in my inputs, making it easier to fly precisely.

If you can find one, I would recommend a Rev II as a nice kite for someone who likes a lighter pulling kite. It is very quick and a bit manic, but longer lines help.

There is also a Vented Rev II which may be ideal as it slows the kite down and seems to be less twitchy. It doesn't need a gale to fly either; I often fly it once the winds get up around 10 knots or so. Pull is feather light and it's quite smooth for a smaller kite.
vented_revII_2.jpg

#20 leewillcox

leewillcox
  • Forum Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 06:58 PM

I think the vented rev is the way to go. I've been wanting one because I too am tiny and can't handle the regular Revs in strong winds because a) it pulls me too hard, or B) my thumbs want to fall off while I'm flying it because it's so strong, or c) I can't really do anything but hover above because the winds are too stong and we all know that lofting isn't really too much fun (that's what single-line kites are for). haha. Anyway, I've been saving up, so hopefully I can get a venter Rev soon. You'd be amazed at the decrease in pull in strong winds, AND it filters out all that crapy turbulance that comes with stronger winds too. All in all, I think it's a great kite to add to the collection. Good luck.
-blue skies and steady winds at your back

Are you still looking for a Vented?
I have a red/while/blue one for sale.
lee@willcoxwebs.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users