Rev 2 alternate spars

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 vinceherman

vinceherman
  • Forum Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 05:30 AM

I have several Rev 2's and I want to take one with me on my motorcycle vacation this summer. It would help to have a 3 piece leading edge so that the max length is in the 25" range.
What are my options? This will be for beach flying, so weight can be similar to the original, but strength needs to be there.

Also, I have one set up for light wind days, with Skyshark 2p spars and short lines for catch and toss type flying. A buddy broke one of the spars, and 2p's are no longer available. What light weight solutions are there now for a 74" leading edge? Can be 2 piece or 3.

I have gone out and looked a bit at some of the kite shops on line, but I have to admit that I am a bit unsure about the spars. If I take a 32" spar and take off 5", am I going to lose the reinforced end, and run in to problems?

Thanks,
Vince

#2 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 08:44 AM

Doesn't a 3-siece LE come with the rev II? If not, you can always call Ben or Lolly and see if they could make you come 2 wrap or mabye even a rece rod 3-piece LE for it. I've never asked about something like that, so I'm not sure what they'd say.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#3 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:39 AM

Doesn't a 3-siece LE come with the rev II? If not, you can always call Ben or Lolly and see if they could make you come 2 wrap or mabye even a rece rod 3-piece LE for it. I've never asked about something like that, so I'm not sure what they'd say.

It is a two piece leading edge. The two rods each are longer then the REV I rods. Only the down rods are shorter.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#4 pudsli

pudsli

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 10:44 AM

Hi Vince.
get yourself some p200 or p400 and cut it and ferrul it to the sizes you require.
you can have a 3 or 4 piece leading edge.
all the best steve.
Member of British S.T.A.C.K winter league pairs champs 2006/2007

#5 vinceherman

vinceherman
  • Forum Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 12:48 PM

Great information!
That will be easy to do, with the 32" straight sections, I can cut them down to length. I was worried about that.

Since that was so easy, let me add another question. I have a stack of 3 Rev 2's. Probably my favorite thing to fly. For the second and third kite, I would probably be able to get away with the same 3 piece LE as I am looking to use on my single. But the first kite I run reinforcements (.240 pultruded) inside the stock Revolution spars. Do you think I could get away with a 3 piece LE on the first stack as well, if I put similar reinforcements in the spars for the first kite?

Maybe go with some .240 inserts like this pic? (sorry for the MS Paint style pic)
Posted Image

#6 vinceherman

vinceherman
  • Forum Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 12:52 PM

My leading edges are 2 piece, 37" spars, for a total of 74". I am thinking of making 3 25" spars (or close enough to make 74 total)

#7 vinceherman

vinceherman
  • Forum Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 02:34 PM

I guess that the stack question would be more proper in the stack forum. I'll go post it there.
My North Coast to South Coast trip will not be complete without my favorite kites, and the 3 piece LE makes that doable on the motorcycle.
Vince
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users