Rev 1 (Sedgwick) in low wind

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Bob D

Bob D
  • Forum Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:35 AM

I have a Supersonic and it needs a good 5 MPH or more to get going. I'm picking up a Sedgwick from a friend because it's more precise and doesn't need as much wind to get going. How low will it actually go wind-wise? And how much lower will it go with 2 wrap rods? (I'm also buying his vented Sedgwick too. How would 2 wraps help with the vented's lower range?)
Bob

#2 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 08:17 AM

Just ordered a pair myself Bob. Will be interested in the replies. Gone for a 2 and 3 wrap set with a 4 wrap LE. Hope this will suit most wind conditions.

I suppose it depends on how fast you can run :-)

#3 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 08:32 AM

Fisrt let me say,youve bought/snagged, a very nice pair of kites Bob.Ive had mine a while now and wouldnt part with them for nothing.I LOVE UM

Ive seen the sedgwick flown Indoors.Havent tried it myself,but ive flown the none vented outdoors in little more than a breath of wind.I would consider getting some low poundage lines Bob[50lb].These will help you fly all the way down to zero, or as near as.With a little practice and effort it is possible.
Last weekend we flew our Sedgewicks in around 2mph and up to around 7mph and it was superb.The lite lines dont have as much drag as the higher poundage lines and help alot.I have flown my vented in as low as a 7 mph and tend to only use it up to around 13 mph.Then get the Rev one vented out with a 4 wrap in or a 1.5 B Series vented.

Bob, these are my prefernces and a personal choice through flying the Sedgewick.I know the kites spec when framed correctly will far exceed my personal preference in higher winds.I just prefare to fly other Revs in higher winds.To be quite honest.I usually reach for another option once the winds blow over 10mph ,i just prefare other Revs in higher winds or gusty,lumpy winds .

FOR ME,
FULL SAIL, 2mph upto 10mph,i use other kites after 9 or 10mph
VENTED SAIL,7mph upto 13mph,then i use other kites for higher winds.

Both kites will fly in lower and higher winds.I just prefare the range ive mentioned with the SEDGEWICKS

Hope this helps Bob

BRIAN...

#4 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:13 AM

<~~~I have a Sedgwick and added the 2 wrap frame. When the wind goes under 5 mph I smile a lot :P :D :lol: and take it out. No backward running. I have found I use it with the 2 wrap and in ultra low wind almost exclusively which makes me think I should change out the bridle with one like on the 1.5s. The kite has a heavy pull in normal winds and has a heavy bridle but it seems to be overkill and heavy for the flying I am doing with it. Like most when the wind goes up I take out the 1.5s. Hey Ben, does Rev makes a low wind Rev 1 bridle?

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#5 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:23 AM

Often thought that myself Denny.I may even try my hand at makeing a finer bridle for the Sedgewick.The bridle line is a little Tow Rope ish on them.Easy to reknot though with my Fat Fingers :lol: ;)

Great point mate,good shout.

BRIAN...

#6 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:39 AM

Last I heard, there IS a low wind (spectra) Rev bridle available... Give 'em a call.

I'm anxious to try the Rev I with Race Spars... I imagine they'll be a hair fragile for it, but AWESOME in skilled hands and extreme light winds. ;)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#7 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 10:03 AM

Last I heard, there IS a low wind (spectra) Rev bridle available... Give 'em a call.

I'm anxious to try the Rev I with Race Spars... I imagine they'll be a hair fragile for it, but AWESOME in skilled hands and extreme light winds. ;)

I don't know whether the low wind bridle is available today, but they did have them available and installed on the REV I SUL(nylon) back before 1996. The REV I SUL then was all around built lighter. Sail material was lighter nylon, LE material lighter. Bungees were thinner. Lighter end caps were introduced which are common today. And they introduced the 2-wrap Professional Use Only rods with the REV I SUL.

Ben said Race Rods for the REV I are not in the planning.
Wouldn't it be nice if they were?

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#8 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 10:16 AM

Ther in the 20yrs Ans kite.Race Rods that is John.Mine arrived Today and i have had a little play with it.
The flex in the rods is,,,,well lets say im PRAYNG for a nice 4 mph this weekend.

NICE KITE BEN.

BRIAN...

#9 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 11:05 AM

Ther in the 20yrs Ans kite.Race Rods that is John.Mine arrived Today and i have had a little play with it.
The flex in the rods is,,,,well lets say im PRAYNG for a nice 4 mph this weekend.

NICE KITE BEN.

BRIAN...

That is correct, the 20th Anniversary REV is suppose to come with Race Rods. But, isn't it a REV 1.5 not a REV I? The initial announcement said it was to be a REV 1.5 and the photo I saw, indicates to me it is a REV 1.5. Personally I never saw one, so I am not 100% positive it is a REV 1.5.

International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

#10 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 11:08 AM

That is correct, the 20th Anniversary REV is suppose to come with Race Rods. But, isn't it a REV 1.5 not a REV I? The initial announcement said it was to be a REV 1.5 and the photo I saw, indicates to me it is a REV 1.5. Personally I never saw one, so I am not 100% positive it is a REV 1.5.

Now, it couldn't be asymmetric or ?
The Rev I side the size of a REV I and the REV 1.5 side the size of a REV 1.5.

#11 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 11:57 AM

I bought a full sail Sedgwick on Ebay and bought a Pro Use frame for it to take me down below my 1.5sul but to be honest I have not had much time with it yet and now my sul has a Race Frame I think the Rev I may have been trumped a bit in the low wind stakes. I certainly donít regret buying it though and when we get more daylight and airtime in the summer it will be out of the bag again.
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#12 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 12:32 PM

Yes John, you are correct.It certainly is a 1.5 in size.I was trying[badly]to suggest.That if a 1.5.Why not a rev 1.I know the stress would be diffrent because of the extra leading edge length,but i would like to try one.The thought of it with Race Rods is very tempting.

BRIAN...

#13 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 02:50 PM

Yes John, you are correct.It certainly is a 1.5 in size.I was trying[badly]to suggest.That if a 1.5.Why not a rev 1.I know the stress would be diffrent because of the extra leading edge length,but i would like to try one.The thought of it with Race Rods is very tempting.

BRIAN...

Brian, all is clear now!
In my opinion, I doubt there is enough demand for a REV I Race frame to justify the costs to develop it.
However, you never know what the REV gang will do.

A REV I with PUO 2-wrap rods will definitely fly in a lighter wind then the REV 1.5, with either PUOs or Race rods.
The weight to size ratio of the REV I to REV 1.5 tends to favor the REV I.
Now, if you really want a zero wind REV, go after the REV NOWIND. It is about the width of a REV 1.5, but a bit taller.
John B and Watty can tell you all about it, if you haven't already read it here in another thread.

#14 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 04:08 PM

what a great topic i just ordered a sedwick with a 2 wrap so this info helps alot.. it should be here soon i hope.. as for the spectra bridle they are eazy to make as most rev bridles are
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#15 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 01:05 PM

It is a great topic and a great kite.Im gona have a go at the bridle.Fat fingers anall :)

Watched Lee Sedgewick on some video clips over on Kitelife. A KEWL FLYER.

BRIAN...

#16 Clin

Clin

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 01:54 AM

I'm awaiting Kent to have those warm Sedgicks in stock. Will have a extra set of 2wraps to go with the std 4wraps. :sign_kitelife:

Any news on it yet Kent? :)

Clin

#17 Bob D

Bob D
  • Forum Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 04:24 AM

Looks like I'll be ordering some 2 wraps from Kent! I can't wait! I have a 65' 150# lineset and a 100' 90# lineset. I'll probably have to order some line to build a 50# lineset. Since the longer the line the heavier it is, what's (in your opinion) the best length? I'm thinking 50' is probably too short and 65' is still pretty short. What about 85' or 100' for lighter wind - in the 5-6 MPH range or less? (Much less than that I can see using shorter lines.)

Kent, keep the cash register warmed up for me!

I can't wait for warmer weather! (I did fly in cold weather for the first time last week and I didn't turn into a popsicle! I know I can handle 31 degrees now!)
Bob

#18 pudsli

pudsli

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 09:12 AM

Hi Bob D.
for my sedgewick flying i use 120ft of 50lb shanti spectra line.
loads of room in the sky.
also have a set of 120ft of 110lb line, this is not as good in lower winds.
with the 50lb line you can fly in 2mph winds, may have to move a bit.
all the best steve.
Member of British S.T.A.C.K winter league pairs champs 2006/2007

#19 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 11:05 AM

I use 30' 80' and 120' depending on where I am flying. Each is a bit different but it's all good! I think what ever your favorite id for you 1.5 would hold true for your 1.

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#20 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 11:29 AM

50 X 50 lines get you movein.

BRIAN...