Photo

Vented or not?

Best Answer Bazzer, 05 January 2008 - 10:11 AM

A Vented Rev, of any Kind, is a Must have for any Rev Flyer....

My personal favorite is to run a vented B with either race rods or 2 wrap. Then as the wind climbs change up through the spars. Then throw the 3 and four wrap in the leading edge. Then if you must the SLE. This will of course mean taking down your small banner that you have made to retrieve this broom stick :kid_smartass:
So I would suggest a vented B ( comes with three and 4 wrap)with a set of race rods.
Bazzer Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 Aerochic

Aerochic

Revadelic

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 03:36 AM

After this past weekend in Wildwood, I can honestly say the difference between a standard 1.5 and a vented 1.5 is like NIGHT & DAY in those kinds of winds. I don't own a vented yet, but kind folk were nice enough to lend me their venteds to play with. I used both a vented 1.5, and a vented B. I have to say both were equally smooth from what I observed.

Better Living Through Rev Flying...

Rev Themed Ts & Goodies: http://www.zazzle.co...ckarts/clothing
Aerostakes: http://www.etsy.com/shop/LeshockArts
Rev Galleries: http://www.revkites....=user&user=1408
Flickr Pics: http://www.flickr.co...s/16896184@N05/

#22 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 04:03 AM

vented always the first out of the bag for me, a must in our crazy strong winds.

It's a definite work out!

I actually don't like it when the wind drops off too much now I've built some tone/strength up.
1 of the 47.

#23 steveb

steveb

Occasional Poseur

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 07:41 AM

I've owned a lot of vented dual line [BAN!] kites over the years and never enjoyed flying them. They were sometimes necessary for strong winds, but I always found their performance lacking compared to the standard and ultralight versions.

All that changed with Revs. I spent a blustery WSIKF afternoon with my Vented SLE a few years ago and couldn't get over how well the kite flew. Everything felt smoother and more controlled. For the first time, I could actually fly some precision with a Rev.

It's even better with a B-Series and a lighter frame. My current favourite is the B-Series and Race Rods. It puts a smile on my face every time. :D

#24 jatman

jatman
  • Forum Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 02:33 PM

I've owned a lot of vented dual line [BAN!] kites over the years and never enjoyed flying them. They were sometimes necessary for strong winds, but I always found their performance lacking compared to the standard and ultralight versions.

All that changed with Revs. I spent a blustery WSIKF afternoon with my Vented SLE a few years ago and couldn't get over how well the kite flew. Everything felt smoother and more controlled. For the first time, I could actually fly some precision with a Rev.

It's even better with a B-Series and a lighter frame. My current favourite is the B-Series and Race Rods. It puts a smile on my face every time. :D

I just picked up a B series vented and the guy told me it had 2 and 3 wrap rods. Tried what he said was the 2 wraps in light wind and it was like a feather. Question. Does the B Series come with 3 and 4 wraps Standard or was this a special ? I have an SLE with the standard 4 wrap leading edge and It's abour a 1/4" in diameter. How do you tell the difference in 2,3 and 4 wrap rod ? Picked up the B at Cutting Edge in Ocean Shores.

#25 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 02:58 PM

The Vented B is supposed to come with 3 and 4 wrap, marked "Ultra Light" and "Revolution Equipped" respectively.

The new rods have silver labels, with a corresponding number of feathers printed on it... 3 feathers for 3 wrap, etc.

2 wraps are generally marked as "Professional Use Only", or have two feathers on the new labels. ;)

Please confirm what you actually received with the kite?

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#26 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 04:37 PM

Picked up my first B STD at Wildwood to go along with an old EXP and 1.5. Also have full set of Race Rods and 2 SLE's.

So now that I have all the various sets of rods I guess I now need to get a B Vented sail and Bridle to complete the circle..........for now.

Would Ben sell just a pre bridled Vented sail????

"Cya in the Sand!....."

"Slack lines are fine lines!"

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" BD
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" BM
av-1950.jpg

#27 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 05:37 PM

Only one way to find out, ask him. ;)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#28 Clin

Clin

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 05:45 PM

Since I started this post, I've gotten a vented 1.5 myself too! Love it! I've got a Std 1.5 with Race rods on the way. Now, I can mix-match the Races with the vented! :sign_kitelife:

Clin

#29 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 06:20 PM

There really is nothing like a Vented 1.5 or B-Series with 2 wraps or race rods in low wind once you have gotten some experience with your kite, it's a great teaching tool to learn the flight characteristics of these kites because you HAVE to learn it and once you do its amazing.

I actually have very little use for full sails now and of the 15-20 non vented that I have most will be vented in some way soon as I've discovered a great sew master is coming out of retirement in my area :kid_smartass:

Give it a chance and work at it you'll be amazed in the long run how it helps you all around.
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#30 steveb

steveb

Occasional Poseur

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 08:00 PM

If you get a set of B-Series kites, you get a 2 wrap Professional Use Only 2 wrap and an Ultralight 3 wrap frame with the standard sail and another Ultralight 3 wrap and Rev Equipped 4 wrap frame with the Vented: giving you 2 sets of the 3 wrap ULs.

I'd rather get a Race Rods set instead of 2 identical frames for the pair of kites.

#31 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 10:08 PM

Fortflyer - venting a sail is not a big deal sewing wise. If you look on kitebuilder there are quite a few threads on how to do this mod professionally. I have to say I agree about the vented kites getting all the use!
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#32 jatman

jatman
  • Forum Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 02:12 PM

The Vented B is supposed to come with 3 and 4 wrap, marked "Ultra Light" and "Revolution Equipped" respectively.

The new rods have silver labels, with a corresponding number of feathers printed on it... 3 feathers for 3 wrap, etc.

2 wraps are generally marked as "Professional Use Only", or have two feathers on the new labels. ;)

Please confirm what you actually received with the kite?

Checked the rods and they are 3 and 4 wrap. Not the 2 and 3 wrap that I was told. Explains why my expectations of the handleing with the 2 wraps the guy told me were already in it was so bad. No bigge, you learn something new everyday. Thanks for explaining this for me.
Hmmm.... Where can I get some 2 wraps with my online gift card.

#33 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 09:03 PM

Glad you got the correct package. If you do go for another frame set I would suggest a set of race rods rather than the 2 wraps.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#34 andelscott

andelscott

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 07:08 AM

Not denigrating the Vented SLE in any way as it's a great kite, but I had the opportunity to fly my wife's vented SLE and my vented B-series last weekend. The B-series felt much lighter to control and jumps enthusiastically to take air, when requested. The vented SLE, by comparison, felt a little more sluggish and just needed a puff more wind to perform.

So, as others have said, having two sets of rods - rather than an extra set of flying lines - is a good exchange: if you already have a Rev with lines, I would unhesitatingly go for the B series. Extra cost maybe, but value for money is not only about cost.

I'm just wondering whether I need to save up for a *non*-vented B series now for those low wind days.... :kid_content:

Andy
Andy

#35 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 08:28 AM

Not denigrating the Vented SLE in any way as it's a great kite, but I had the opportunity to fly my wife's vented SLE and my vented B-series last weekend. The B-series felt much lighter to control and jumps enthusiastically to take air, when requested. The vented SLE, by comparison, felt a little more sluggish and just needed a puff more wind to perform.

So, as others have said, having two sets of rods - rather than an extra set of flying lines - is a good exchange: if you already have a Rev with lines, I would unhesitatingly go for the B series. Extra cost maybe, but value for money is not only about cost.

I'm just wondering whether I need to save up for a *non*-vented B series now for those low wind days.... :kid_content:

Andy

Unless you have a couple of mylar panels on your vented SLE, it should fly very similar to the B vented when using the "same" rods. The SLE rods are stiffer and heavier thus do not allow the sail to bellow thus could seem a bit sluggish on take off. It will also need a bit more wind because of the flatter sail using SLE rods.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#36 Yippiee

Yippiee

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 03:49 AM

This opinion comes from a new Rev flyer (about 10 hrs). I have the standard John Barresi B-Series and the full vent. The full vent is quite a bit slower - but more stable given it has enough wind. Both fly great and I recommend that a new flyer get both a vented and a non-vented kite with a compliment of different rods. I could see where the mid vent would fill a gap as well. Being new to Revs - I find that it does take quite a bit of wind for the vented to fly right with my present skills. Most of my time was at the beach with clean wind.

But when I tried flying inland at a park with swirling and gusty winds - the standard was a little twichy. And there just wasn't enough wind for the full vent sail. So for me with my present skill - I think a mid-vent would have been the perfect choice. I know most of you are old pro at Revs - so I thought you might like to hear a newbies point of view.

With these setups you should be able to fly the way you want in any condition. And lets face it - one kite just can't effectively meet every condition. Just as one car or boat cannot meet every need. (You certainly wouldn't run a dragster car in a offroad race)
"I've never met a person that doesn't enjoy a kite dancin on a breeze" Yippiee - Mike

My Photo Gallery

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users