Photo

Vented or not?

Best Answer Bazzer, 05 January 2008 - 10:11 AM

A Vented Rev, of any Kind, is a Must have for any Rev Flyer....

My personal favorite is to run a vented B with either race rods or 2 wrap. Then as the wind climbs change up through the spars. Then throw the 3 and four wrap in the leading edge. Then if you must the SLE. This will of course mean taking down your small banner that you have made to retrieve this broom stick :kid_smartass:
So I would suggest a vented B ( comes with three and 4 wrap)with a set of race rods.
Bazzer Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Clin

Clin

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 11:28 PM

Hi folks,
I have a std B-series. Am contemplating a vented 1.5. The winds in my area are typically <13mph. Mostly in the 5-10mph range. I find the std B to be overpowering when winds are close to 10mpish and I've got both 2 and 3wraps LE together. It's too twitchy for my preference.

I'm thinking of a vented with 3wraps. I can add the 2 wraps from the B-series when needed. Do you guys fly with a vented in 10mpish winds? I've read the thread abt UL frames in venteds. Like the idea too.

Cheers
Clin

#2 DWayne

DWayne

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 06:27 AM

I really like my 1.5 vented with a 3 wrap frame. It's so smooth in the 8 to 12 mph range. Really nice.

Denny

#3 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 08:51 AM

The B Series Vented is like SILK in 8-12 mph.Buy one.You wont regret it

As D Wayne says above,REALY NICE.

BRIAN...

#4 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 08:59 AM

Do you guys fly with a vented in 10mpish winds? I've read the thread abt UL frames in venteds. Like the idea too.

Cheers
Clin

For sure. A vented 1.5 with two wrap frame flies very well in 10mph, or less. You will find a really big difference and it is very smooth. When the wind comes up, change to three wrap and if needed, simply add your two wrap to the leading edge.

You'll love it.
Fly together! Share the joy, Share the fun

#5 Clin

Clin

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 09:48 PM

For sure. A vented 1.5 with two wrap frame flies very well in 10mph, or less. You will find a really big difference and it is very smooth. When the wind comes up, change to three wrap and if needed, simply add your two wrap to the leading edge.

You'll love it.

Thks guys! That's my plan. I'd skip the 4wraps since I'd hardly meet those types of winds that would render it. The B-series vented is a little too dear. Am settling for a normal vented.

Clin

#6 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 06:35 AM

Thks guys! That's my plan. I'd skip the 4wraps since I'd hardly meet those types of winds that would render it. The B-series vented is a little too dear. Am settling for a normal vented.

Clin

I’m a bit confused. In the UK the standard B comes with Pro Use (2 wrap) and Ultra Light (3 wrap) frames and the vented comes with a second Ultra Light and a Rev Equipped (4 wrap) frame.

Are you considering a special order single “normal vented”, as by default a “normal vented” 1.5 comes with a Rev Equipped (4 wrap) frame with the thicker ˝ inch sle leading edge. By the time you have replaced the leading edge you may as well bite the bullet, get the vented B and then you will be able to have a matched pair that will cover all the bases.
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#7 Jay Nunes

Jay Nunes

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 07:11 AM

Kiting Tampa Bay Web Site

Kitemania

February 7-8 2014 Treasure Island Beach..
The NON_Festival weekend of flying...

#8 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 10:49 AM

I would suggest getting a vented b-series. And I'm sure Ben wouldn't mind setting up a special b-series order. You could get the b-series sail with just 4-wrap set.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#9 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:00 AM

Clin

If you have your choice, choose a non-mylar vented version of the REV 1.5 whether it be a B or the SLE.
I personally have nothing against the SLE rods as they are quite good in very strong winds, however others will try to convince you other wise. If you don't want the SLE rods, I would suggest asking for the 4-wrap(Revolution Equipped) rods. They are great for those rare nastily strong winds.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#10 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 03:17 PM

get both vented and non vented .. the vent will work better for the haevier winds and the non vent wil do well in lighter winds .. haveing both is the best way to make you day last longer
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#11 brad

brad

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 04:59 PM

I bought a solid sle as my first rev.A few weeks later I got a vented.One of each is a minimum. :blue-cool:

#12 Clin

Clin

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 10:07 PM

I'm a bit confused. In the UK the standard B comes with Pro Use (2 wrap) and Ultra Light (3 wrap) frames and the vented comes with a second Ultra Light and a Rev Equipped (4 wrap) frame.

Are you considering a special order single "normal vented", as by default a "normal vented" 1.5 comes with a Rev Equipped (4 wrap) frame with the thicker ˝ inch sle leading edge. By the time you have replaced the leading edge you may as well bite the bullet, get the vented B and then you will be able to have a matched pair that will cover all the bases.

Sorry for the confusion. I'm trying to get a non-mylar vented with all 3wraps rods. I've tried the SLE rods but don't like it, while the 4wraps would be overkill for the winds I have, I think. I can add the 2wraps in if required, much like Jim Foster's suggestion.

Cheers
Clin

#13 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:00 PM

Hi Clin,

As you already have a 2 and 3 wrap frame with the B I wonder if it is worth considering ordering your non-mylar 1.5 V with Race rods?? I know it will cost you a few $ more but will further extend your flying flexibility??

As I understand it Race rods are almost in between 2 and 3 wrap for weight and fleibility with a slightly different "(re) action". I may be wrong though.

#14 Bazzer

Bazzer

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 10:11 AM   Best Answer

My personal favorite is to run a vented B with either race rods or 2 wrap. Then as the wind climbs change up through the spars. Then throw the 3 and four wrap in the leading edge. Then if you must the SLE. This will of course mean taking down your small banner that you have made to retrieve this broom stick :kid_smartass:
So I would suggest a vented B ( comes with three and 4 wrap)with a set of race rods.
Bazzer

Eat ...make Revs ....sleep......repeat!
Maker and designer of B Pro, Zen, XTRA VNT and Masterpiece kites.
Are you "Glued To The Blue"
I am.
Come visit me
www.gluedtotheblue.comgallery_170_47_48984.gifgallery_170_47_18974.gifgallery_170_47_3948.gif
http://www.teamiquad.com

#15 XJJoe01

XJJoe01

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 02:25 PM

The vented B flies fly’s like a dream in 10ish winds when equipped with Race Rods!!! I know the B-series cost more, but I think it is worth it for its flying characteristics. :kid_smartass:

My 2 cents,

Joe
1 lime and black B standard
1 lime and black B vent
1 20th anniversary edition :)

#16 Clin

Clin

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 06:37 AM

The vented B flies fly's like a dream in 10ish winds when equipped with Race Rods!!! I know the B-series cost more, but I think it is worth it for its flying characteristics. :kid_smartass:

My 2 cents,

Joe

I'd def love to have a matching vented B but alas, finance rules :blue_wink:
Btw, would you guys think a vented B or 1.5 would be more similiar compared to a std B against a 1.5? Since the vents are almost similar and I guess the venting position/size would dominate more, I'd guess the flight characteristics would be closer?

Anyone?

Clin

#17 pudsli

pudsli

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 11:56 AM

hi all.
vented rev, b series or other = best kite in the bag.
with the correct wind.
all the best steve.
Member of British S.T.A.C.K winter league pairs champs 2006/2007

#18 XJJoe01

XJJoe01

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 07:44 PM

I'd def love to have a matching vented B but alas, finance rules :blue_wink:
Btw, would you guys think a vented B or 1.5 would be more similiar compared to a std B against a 1.5? Since the vents are almost similar and I guess the venting position/size would dominate more, I'd guess the flight characteristics would be closer?

Anyone?

Clin

I think the difference would be the same as between B-series standard and a 1.5sle. But, I have never flown a 1.5sle vented, just my B vent. :confused!:

Joe
1 lime and black B standard
1 lime and black B vent
1 20th anniversary edition :)

#19 Jay Nunes

Jay Nunes

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 04:05 AM

Bazzer

Right on Bazz... :ani_victory:

Although It seems more expensive to purchase a B Series Vented Rev..
But It is not and here is why :g:

You Receive two Full sets of Rods.
A 3 wrap set and a 4 wrap set.
These two sets were created for three different wind conditions
3 Wrap for med to high Winds 7 - 10 Mph (Give or take)
4 Wrap for high winds 10 - 15 Mph
Combining the 4 and the 3 wrap for Very High Winds. 15 Mph and Above
It's like have three kites..
If you Purchase a set or Race Rods it flies Fantastic in Med winds 4 - 7 Mph

Also the B Series Kites come with Handles that have Knotted Leaders
for increasing or decreasing the Amount of brake desired.

Basicly, your getting more Stuff for the money and it is Relatively the same price.
The Difference is... you get what you need from the start..
For me....This is the Kite to Purchase.

Kiting Tampa Bay Web Site

Kitemania

February 7-8 2014 Treasure Island Beach..
The NON_Festival weekend of flying...

#20 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 05:31 AM

I definaly agree with the above. Of course if you cant afford a B, but can afford a 1.5 with rods of your choice. Then buy the additional rod sets when you can. that is the way you have to go.

The Knotted leaders are EASY and CHEAP to make yourself.

The down side YOU DONT HAVE A B SERIES.

I have quite a few Revs in my bag. If I had been able to buy a B and a Bv as my first kites then I would not have as many kites!! Good for me, bad for Rev.

With the 2 B's in my bag I have Revs for ALL flyable wind ranges. 2 wrap, 2 x 3 wrap and 4 wrap with full and vented sails, a NEAT sail layout, what else could you need? Oh yes a Race Rod set and some flying lines!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users