Photo

Rev Handles Pt. II

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Poll: Which Handles? (36 member(s) have cast votes)

Which do you prefer?

1. 9 inch (1 votes [2.78%])

Percentage of vote: 2.78%

2. 13 inch (26 votes [72.22%])

Percentage of vote: 72.22%

3. other (9 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 SynTaks

SynTaks

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 02:47 PM

I was wondering which handles are your favorites and why.

I wanted to add something that my better 3/4 forgot to mention...

The only issue I have with the standard rev handles is the material that the grips are made of.

I don't know if this happens anywhere else, because I have only flown for 2 weeks outside of Alaska, but the moisture we have in the air here seems to cause the handle grips to get sticky and start shedding, so it feels like I have fine sand in my hands when I use them. I started taping them with masking tape, but that has it's own disadvantages, as they are then rather slippery to handle when flying.

Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, what did you do to solve it?

--TaK

Posted Image
AlasKiters kite club

There's two of us crazies here.... which one is this?
He's into the B series, choreography and coloring.
She's into a bridleless SUL and skiing with a Blast.

#22 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:04 AM

No, can't say I have but I'm wondering if it may be due to them being porous. If they absorb moisture that freezes and expands in the cold air damaging the structure of the foam which then crumbles when the moisture thaws, in the same way repeated freezing breaks up a poorly maintained road. I am thinking the only way to stop it in such extreme conditions (assuming my first assumption is correct is to stop the foam from absorbing any moisture, maybe those aerosols used to reproof outdoor clothing may help to stop the rot but I don't really know what is in them or how they will react with the grips. I'm guessing that the re proofing stuff is at least partly oil based which would not be good if the foam grips contain any rubber.

Perhaps others on the forum may be able to help further.

Edited by Stone in Shoe Bob, 26 July 2010 - 09:07 AM.

Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#23 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:59 AM

You certainly have an unusual problem, but the weather has got to be the difference up there, I agree. Replacing the foam grips is possible, hack the old ones off, clean as well as you possibly can with solvent. Then affix new ones.

A guy that makes fishing grips is who you want to seek out. You want a set fishing grip foams made for your REV handles and there's got to be a guy making custom fish poles up in Alaska! The stuff comes in different densities, porous sounds like a bad choice. Try a thinner diameter of foam that is very firm.

Here's a picture of mine (glenn haynes foam) They're red, white & black diagonal foam strips, assembled it's much longer than a regular grip on a REV handle. Since the handles basically "drag on the ground" 'cause they are so long, 17 inches between the two attachment points, (19" grade 5, titanium tubes, 3/8 diameter) A long piece of foam doesn't look unusual. Eventually I'll have to get around to making 'em "no-snag" thru the nail technique.

You could also go the way of the TC Ultra Handles, they are plexi and the winder's built in!

You could wrap your handles with synthetic leather (or some funky hide available no where else?) instead of using foam.

The coolest set of handles I've ever seen are made by Mike Van Meers, Wood layers with a pistol grip that fits your finger outlines, . . .... you can rock 'em on different fingers, so comfortable. I'm still waiting for Burka to have sympathy on me and donate his extended length set to me in an effort to further my education in quad. Jeff has the only long set I'm aware of, I'm so envious of him!

Attached Thumbnails

• Ti-handles.jpg

#24 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:01 AM

Another idea is a golf grip - keeps its tackiness when damp, but still is reasonably soft to the touch??

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users