DWayne

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 08:20 AM

Hi all,
I've decided on a 1.5 SLE and it should be here next week. :clap;
I was wondering how many extra spars, if any, I should get?
The kite is coming with 3 wrap 1/4" rods rather than the SLE rods.
Should I get a 2 wrap frame? What about race rods? :huh:
And are there any other parts I'm likely to break in the learning process?
I'd like to have everything on hand so I don't have too much down time. :P

Thanks for your input.
Denny

#2 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 08:33 AM

The SLE is a good buy and a nice,nice kite to fly.Any Rev is.
.Myself,,, i would have gone for the B Series.I just think the package is better value for a new or seasoned flyer.Its a good package and would solve the RODs question for you.Thers also a Kewl Dvd,Better Handle set up and basically,ITS SEXIER to fly :lol:

Can you change the purchase would be my Advice :huh: and you solve a few probs before you have any.Sorry,but its what I would do,and not probably what you would.I just wondered if you had looked at the B Series the way ive explained

BRIAN...ps,spare end caps are handy to have and a bridle if ya dont like tying Knotts,like me.

#3 DWayne

DWayne

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 10:48 AM

I'm sure everyone would like to have a B model. But not everyone can afford a B model. If it wasn't for dumb luck & accident, and a very kind kite store owner (this is where I put in a shameless plug for Kent @ a wind of change) I'd still be in the market for a used EXP. And believe it or not, used Revs are hard to find. It seems most people that get a Rev tend to keep it.
Thanks for the advice on the end caps & bridle. ;)

Denny

#4 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 11:14 AM

AWCH, :boxing:
didnt mean to offend Denny,sorry if it has in any way.Kent doesnt need any plug here.Im nameing my next five Children after him :) .

BRIAN...

#5 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 11:27 AM

Must admit knowing what I know now I would bite the bullet and go for a B series as Bri suggests. You get MORE for your money.

FOR a B Series----------Neat kite, 2 wrap and 3 wrap spars, neat Handles, weights, and that wOw DVD.

Against a B Series------1.5 is neat too, can buy a second set of spars later when you can afford it, you still get the handles and can make your own pigtails pretty easy, may not need the weights till after you have lost them.

I just dont believe I have just tried to argue against a B series, forgive me everyone please.

I can FEEL where you are coming from Denny, if money is tight then you have to get what you can afford. My main advice would be go with what Kent advises, he has forgotten more than I will ever know.

However for what it is worth.

The 1.5 with 4 wraps will fly well in sensible winds. I have taken my EXP out in SILLY winds and it is still with me. I wouldnt worry about Race Rods just yet (however I do have some on my wish list). On some of my older kites I have popped a bungee a couple of times howeve the sails are worn so I would not expect you to have this problem. Maybe a bridle and end caps, if Bri suggests it then he must have had a problem with them in the past.

Best thing you can do is get the kite and some lines and go FLY it. Stay within the reccomended wind range and enjoy it. I have had some SERIOUS crashes and maybe I am lucky got away with it till now. FLY it, dont be frightend of it. Try to find someone to fly with so that they can help you out with the basics like set up then FLY it.

Hope you get me drift FLY it. Dont worry about it FLY it.

I shoot some clays once in a while and standing next to folks with them talking about what choke to put in thier barrel for this shot and that, they talk themselves out of hitting the clay. Then it is allways the wrong choke is at fault.

BUY THE KITE, GET OUT THERE AND FLY IT. Revs are stronger than thay look.

Good luck.

#6 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,410 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 11:41 AM

Hi all,

Thanks for your input.
Denny

If you are hard up for cash go for an EXP(EXtended Pleasure) which has 3-wrap rods standard. Add the 2-wrap later.
If you got the cash go for the standard JB as it has the 2 and 3 wrap rod sets included and handles with pig tails. It is a good bargain for the price.
In between the two lies the SLE. The SLE rods do make it a bit more radical and not quite as precise, but not as bad as it is put out to be. Most recommend the 3-wrap 1/4" LE. Adding the 2-wrap LE will probably take you close to or over the price of a JB.
As for RACE Rods. Wait until you can fly the REV good, then you would really appreciate them.
The EXP is usually easier to learn on as it has a nylon sail which is softer and more forgiving.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#7 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 11:46 AM

Denny

Welcome to the quad lifestyle.
My first Rev was an EXP. It has a three wrap frame, making it just about like your 1.5 SLE. I learned to fly with it, and have flown it since 2001. It has hundreds of hours on it. You should be able to learn to fly, and continue to fly for some time without any spare parts. A set of two wrap spars will help you in light winds, but until you learn how to fly, you should stick with moderate winds to make life easier. In time, the bungies will need replacing. Bungies come with end cap sets. About $4 for a set of two. One or two extra three wrap spars are not a bad idea, but unless you step or sit on your kite, or close it in a car door or trunk lid, you probably won't need them. Revs are pretty tough.

I don't know what the wind conditions are in Corning, but you will probably be adding a vented 1.5 to your bag and an SUL 1.5 at some time. SULs come with a set of two wrap spars.

Have fun, Jim
Fly together! Share the joy, Share the fun

#8 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 11:53 AM

Hi all,

Thanks for your input.
Denny

I would suggest getting a race rod set, and a 4 wrap set. (Good job going with the 3-wrap LE instead of the SLE.) If you want you may also want to get one extra of race rod, 3 wrap, and 4 wrap.

You may also want some spare bungee, because they snap occasionally. Also, you may want extra bridal line just in case something happens, it probably wont, but you never know.

After you have all that you will be all set for most winds. Next you just need to get a vented 1.5, with all of this stuff again, and you'll be set for neat=rly any wind condition.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#9 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 11:53 AM

I was not sure what a set of spars would cost back in the home of Rev John. I sort of thought buying a second set would put a SLE up to near the price of a B.

With you on the EXP Jim, mine is WELL worn out, about third hand now I would think. Use it as a lender now.

Main reason I didnt comment on the EXP was that Denny had decided on a SLE with 3 wrap spars so thought it might already be a done deal.

At the end of the Day, when you get your Rev Denny we ALL know you will LOVE it and have a ball. (Sorry you wont have a ball at all, you will have a Rev)

#10 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 01:16 PM

Yip,Kent knows his stuff.Its kewl here.Thers loads of ideas and opinions.They all help.
SO,
Lines.Get some quality ones.Again Kents your man.I have a good idea what he will recomend,but one BLACK EYE a days plenty for me Denny :lol:. :lol: :lol:

Dont be underestimateing your lines affect on a Rev.Keep um equalised and clean.

BRIAN...

#11 DWayne

DWayne

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 01:53 PM

AWCH, :boxing:
didnt mean to offend Denny,sorry if it has in any way.Kent doesnt need any plug here.Im nameing my next five Children after him :) .

BRIAN...

Hey Brian,
You didn't offend me at all mate. If B models were an option I'd have got a Std & a vented. I'm happy for those that can buy them. But for me it's just not an option. Besides, I'm way too happy about getting the 1.5 SLE to get offended. :blue-grin:

Baloo,
Thanks for the reply. I'm not afraid of breaking the kite. Just want to be prepared so I don't have a week of down time waiting for replacement parts. :P

JohnM,
I was thinking I would start with an EXP but the 1.5 SLE seemed like a better quality kite.

Jim,
Thanks for the welcome. And the advice.
The wind here is usually under 5mph or over 15mph. I was thinking that adding a 2 wrap frame set or a set of race rods would extend the lower & upper wind limits. I didn't plan on using them alone until I've learned to fly. Was thinking more of stuffing them with the 3 wrap LE for the 15 + mph winds.

Watty,
My next purchase is going to be a vented 1.5 with a 4 wrap frame. I just got an email from someone suggesting the race rods too. They only cost $2.00 more than a set of 2 wrap. :confused!:
Sounds like a bridle, some bungees, and a couple of end caps would be good things to have in the bag.

Thank you all for your replies. I haven't been excited about Christmas in years. But this year there's a Revolution coming.

:mf_party: :rev_clockwork: :sign_kitelife:

Denny

#12 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 02:18 PM

Viva la Revolution

#13 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 03:22 PM

I use a two wrap leading edge along with a three wrap often when the wind is high, but only on my vented. I have never tried using both on a full sail. If the wind is high enough to put two LEs in a full sail, it is strong enough to fly vented. But,,,,,,,If you only have a full sail, I would certainly try a double leading edge in your full sail 1.5 in high wind. Your arms may grow a few inches during the flight, but look at the bright side, you'll be able to reach the cookies on the top shelf easier. :lol:
Fly together! Share the joy, Share the fun

#14 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 03:26 PM

Father Christmas must fly a REV.What else does the guy do with all the spare time he has. He must be a kiter to snag that J ow B :) .
Then again,he does fly a stack on his work DAY,,, :clap;,,I thought it was funny.

Some guys have all the luck.

BRIAN...

#15 John F

John F

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 03:28 PM

Hey Brian,
You didn't offend me at all mate. If B models were an option I'd have got a Std & a vented. I'm happy for those that can buy them. But for me it's just not an option. Besides, I'm way too happy about getting the 1.5 SLE to get offended. :blue-grin:

Baloo,
Thanks for the reply. I'm not afraid of breaking the kite. Just want to be prepared so I don't have a week of down time waiting for replacement parts. :P

JohnM,
I was thinking I would start with an EXP but the 1.5 SLE seemed like a better quality kite.

Jim,
Thanks for the welcome. And the advice.
The wind here is usually under 5mph or over 15mph. I was thinking that adding a 2 wrap frame set or a set of race rods would extend the lower & upper wind limits. I didn't plan on using them alone until I've learned to fly. Was thinking more of stuffing them with the 3 wrap LE for the 15 + mph winds.

Watty,
My next purchase is going to be a vented 1.5 with a 4 wrap frame. I just got an email from someone suggesting the race rods too. They only cost $2.00 more than a set of 2 wrap. :confused!:
Sounds like a bridle, some bungees, and a couple of end caps would be good things to have in the bag.

Thank you all for your replies. I haven't been excited about Christmas in years. But this year there's a Revolution coming.

:mf_party: :rev_clockwork: :sign_kitelife:

Denny

My impression on rods is:
If you get a race rod set then you are covered to the very lowest winds (1or2 nonvented; 4or5 vented) up thru the normal range for a 3 wrap. Above that you double stuff or go to 4 wrap. At the very highest it would be 4 wrap double stuffed with race or 3 wraps. So if this is case?? wouldn't best bargain be buy rev 1.5 with race rod set and have a spare 4 wrap LE.

Use the race rods on verticals no matter what the wind. I don't think there is much strain on the verticals.

This is just my speculation but it is based on the fact that Race Rods are strength of 3wrap at the weight of 2 wrap. If this is the case it should be the way 1.5's are kitted for sale. It would make things much simpler.

I have some Race Rods on order so I have not tried the above out yet.

#16 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 04:26 PM

The race rods may be strong, but they can't quite take as much stress as the 3 wraps.

Spence "Watty" Watson

#17 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 10:54 PM

Father Christmas must fly a REV.What else does the guy do with all the spare time he has. He must be a kiter to snag that J ow B :) .
Then again,he does fly a stack on his work DAY,,, :clap; ,,I thought it was funny.

BRIAN...

Will someone Laugh at my joke please above.

As someone said early in the thread.Welcome Brad to the world of REV flying.Now youve been bit.here is where the fun begins.
Race Rods are Hot BTW.I have to agree with Baloo and JM though.I would wait awhile until your Precission flying makes full use of them.Then you will see Why they are HOT and what they got designed to improve.

Have a good one guys,merry Christmas.

BRIAN...

#18 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 11:58 PM

HA Ha ha

Is that OK Bri ;)

#19 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 12:02 AM

Morning Chris,

Thanks for the encouragement.I wont give up my day job though.Unless its to swop the Big Guy for his JOB.

Have a good weekend.

BRIAN..

#20 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 11:52 AM

Then again,he does fly a stack on his work DAY,,, :clap; ,,I thought it was funny.

BRIAN...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!
:lol: :lol: :sq-lol: :sq-lol: :cat_lol: :cat_lol: :rainbowwave:

How's that??? :kid_smartass:

Spence "Watty" Watson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users