Photo

WOW's 1st Sunday fly 12-2. Come fly REVS with us!!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 kellykelly

kellykelly

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 08:08 PM

Looking for something fun to do this Sunday?
Join us on the Washington Monument Grounds for WOW's first Sunday fly. Posted Image
It's going to be a fun day of REV flying.
Hope to see you on the Mall!

Kelly

Link to the location:
http://www.nps.gov/wamo

WOW web site-
http://www.wowkiteclub.com

Kelly

Kiting Tampa Bay Kite Club
If you plan on Coming to the Tampa Bay Area. We would love to Fly with you..

Check out Kiting Tampa Bay Web site!
Learn more about our club, events and Lots of great kite links.

Just Friends Flying Kites 

Kite Mania South - 2014 Treasure Island Beach! 

#2 mcruzzer

mcruzzer

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 07:37 PM

Here's a picture that shows where we meet on the Mall. In the picture, North is at the top, and the "pin" is the tree where we all assemble. BTW, the parking lot at the top of the picture doesn't exist anymore...parking in the area is "challenging" to say the least...

Jim

Attached Thumbnails

• Washington_Mall.jpg

Jim Hodges

#3 kellykelly

kellykelly

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 07:53 PM

Thanks Jim. Cool photo.

:w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

Kelly

#4 Jay Nunes

Jay Nunes

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 03:35 AM

Aww Man I wanna Go...
So I can do a Tip stand on the Top of the Monument..
How long do you think the Quad lines would have to be..
its only 555' 5/8" High...

Kiting Tampa Bay Web Site

Kitemania

February 7-8 2014 Treasure Island Beach..
The NON_Festival weekend of flying...

#5 kellykelly

kellykelly

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 05:22 AM

I would love to see that!!!

Kelly

#6 mcruzzer

mcruzzer

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 10:02 AM

Yeah, me too...

US Park Police would probably take a dim view of it though...just no humor in some of those people! LOL

Jim
Jim Hodges

#7 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 10:17 AM

Aww Man I wanna Go...
So I can do a Tip stand on the Top of the Monument..
How long do you think the Quad lines would have to be..
its only 555' 5/8" High...

I would roughly guess 900 to 1000 ft of line. You might need a bit more room so move over to the area of the shadow. Then you would need a REV or REVs with enough sail area relative to the wind strength and line length to lift up to a 45 degree angle necessary to touch the tip. That would probably mean that a single REV 1.5 would not be able to do that. You would be looking into using a REV I or more likely multiple REVs. Now if you were going to attempt this, you could try contacting the relevant authorities, with aid of the media. You might be able to pull it off.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#8 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 06:41 PM

A well flown Power Blast 2-4 would do the trick even in light wind. :kid_smartass:
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#9 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 03:45 AM

Occasionally I've seen fliers showing off by balancing the REVs on top of the golden ball/flag poles surrounding the Washington monument. When a wind change happens though their bridle lines sometimes get entangled and the kite is stuck up there for all to witness. That goes over like a fart in church!!! The park rangers are mad, they warn us again to stay back and we're forced to cut the darn tangle out of the sky by kevlar or rok battle lines.

I've backed-out friends kites from the entanglements a couple of times successfully, if it's not too tangled.

Our prime location is pretty close to National Airport, so we can't get our kites up too high or they show-up on radar. There's also the presidential helicopters too, which require everything to be grounded before arrival. They fly a three-some so you don't know which one is the one carrying the big-cheese.

There are the secret-service snipers on roof tops in case of a ground assault, security cameras all about and roving spys looking for something that's newsworthy to write about in the style section of the washington post newspaper.

All in all though, it's a colorful environment to fly kites plus there are always crowds about, regardless of the weather or activities scheduled that day.

There's no place to park unless you get up before GRAVITY is activated (also know as "oh-dark-thirty" locally). You can't drive a stake into the ground, music shall not be so loud as to offend our chief in the white house, sometimes the bathrooms are locked or under construction which becomes quite painful as the afternoon approaches. Snow fences can restrict the access points too!

Still, I've been going down there almost every month since 1993. It's worth all the hassles and restictions when the crowds stops and watches us, claps or converses with us. Almost nothing beats a flock of REVS decending upon an unsuspecting stroller, or tapping the bike riders' helmets when they get a drink of water <LOL!> We have a grand time together, please join us!!!

Attached Thumbnails

• paul2.1.jpg

#10 Jay Nunes

Jay Nunes

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 05:45 AM

Great Converstaion Gang...

John You and I were thinking the Same thing..
About 1000 foot of line and Multipal Rev 1's or the New Progressive stack might do it as well..
With Such long lines it will be very Slugish for sure.. but it might fly..
RevFlier..I figured the Local and National Law enforcement.. Might not take too kindly of the attempt..

When I saw the Pictures the Thought came to me :kid_devlish:
As I am sure it has been in Many other Rev Flyers Heads as well..

Kiting Tampa Bay Web Site

Kitemania

February 7-8 2014 Treasure Island Beach..
The NON_Festival weekend of flying...

#11 brad

brad

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 06:18 PM

Occasionally I've seen fliers showing off by balancing the REVs on top of the golden ball/flag poles surrounding the Washington monument. When a wind change happens though their bridle lines sometimes get entangled and the kite is stuck up there for all to witness. That goes over like a fart in church!!! The park rangers are mad, they warn us again to stay back and we're forced to cut the darn tangle out of the sky by kevlar or rok battle lines.

I've backed-out friends kites from the entanglements a couple of times successfully, if it's not too tangled.

Our prime location is pretty close to National Airport, so we can't get our kites up too high or they show-up on radar. There's also the presidential helicopters too, which require everything to be grounded before arrival. They fly a three-some so you don't know which one is the one carrying the big-cheese.

There are the secret-service snipers on roof tops in case of a ground assault, security cameras all about and roving spys looking for something that's newsworthy to write about in the style section of the washington post newspaper.

All in all though, it's a colorful environment to fly kites plus there are always crowds about, regardless of the weather or activities scheduled that day.

There's no place to park unless you get up before GRAVITY is activated (also know as "oh-dark-thirty" locally). You can't drive a stake into the ground, music shall not be so loud as to offend our chief in the white house, sometimes the bathrooms are locked or under construction which becomes quite painful as the afternoon approaches. Snow fences can restrict the access points too!

Still, I've been going down there almost every month since 1993. It's worth all the hassles and restictions when the crowds stops and watches us, claps or converses with us. Almost nothing beats a flock of REVS decending upon an unsuspecting stroller, or tapping the bike riders' helmets when they get a drink of water <LOL!> We have a grand time together, please join us!!!

Nice picture

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users