Flying in OC

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sector9

sector9
  • Forum Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 09:04 AM

As the new guy here i'd like to say hi to everyone and to tell a little about myself. I have worked as a chef for the last 17 years and im glad to say i have left all of that stress behind me and now work at my friends surf shop (kcoast). Since i have more free time i want to get into flying revs! i never knew these existed until a few weeks ago and now its all i can think about.

I have read every post on here and i have decided to get a b series, BUT do i get standard or vented? Since i have been stuck in a kitchen all this time i never really noticed what our average winds are around here. Im guessing somewhere around 5-15 but not sure, so do i get a vented b series and a race frame so all winds are covered or do i get the standard? Im leaning tword the vented cause i have read they just fly smoother. Let me know what you guys think.

I was also wondering if you guys know any rev owners in my area that can give me advice and work with me if needed. Thanks guys! doug

#2 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 12:42 PM

go see Jay at the kiteloft,... He can order what you want and you should support the locals if at all possible.
Tell him you're a member of Wings Over Washington (wowkiteclub.com) and receive a special discount. Our kite club is big supporter of his retail operation. In fact, he's so pleased to see my bride walk in 'cause that means a profitable weekend is about to happen!

There are some folks who go on vacations there and would be happy to assist you as well, besides his staff on site to teach lessons.
Heck, I'd love to teach you myself, but I live about four hours away. My bride and I go to Ocean City at least twice a year though, generally in April (Mike/Maske competition) and Sept (Sunfest)

In your location, the vented would be much more useful Doug.

#3 mcruzzer

mcruzzer

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 02:02 PM

Doug,

You'll be well covered with a b-series and the standard frames. Since you're just starting out, you really don't need to spend the extra for the race rods. Eventually, you'll want a standard b-series too, to complement your vented as there are days when the winds at OC are very light.

Hope that helps!

Jim Hodges
Sky Jewels Kites
Fairfax, VA
Jim Hodges

#4 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 02:38 PM

If you only have room in your budget for one kite, I would suggest getting a B-Series vtd. + some race rods. But it would be best to get both so then you are totally covered. Plus, you'd end up geting both anyway. (Revs are addictive!!)

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#5 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 04:05 PM

get a 1.5 or b series those are the nest 2 kites for a starter package and once you get better they are even more fun to fly
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#6 sector9

sector9
  • Forum Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 04:13 PM

Thanks for the replies, i agree one of each would be sweet but the budget only allows for one right now. Im going to get the vented plus a 2 wrap, that way i have a 2, 3 and a 4, that should keep me in the air. Revflyer i will go talk to jay, i have met him several times around town and he is a great guy.

Thanks for the help, i now have to start thinking about my 2nd, 3rd, 4th .....kite. :kid_drool:

later, doug

#7 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,422 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 04:20 PM

Thanks for the replies, i agree one of each would be sweet but the budget only allows for one right now. Im going to get the vented plus a 2 wrap, that way i have a 2, 3 and a 4, that should keep me in the air. Revflyer i will go talk to jay, i have met him several times around town and he is a great guy.

Thanks for the help, i now have to start thinking about my 2nd, 3rd, 4th .....kite. :kid_drool:

later, doug

I wish I had had such a great selection of REVs to choose from when I started to fly them.
The selection then was a REV I standard, take it or leave it.
A couple years later the REV II and a REV I SUL were finally in the selections.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users