#1 lasapcheong

lasapcheong

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 01:52 AM

Hi,

I have 2 B-Series, a std and a vented and I"m thinking of stacking them together. Which kite do you recommend to be the leader kite? The std or vtd? I know the front kite takes most of the load in a stack so my instinct would be the vtd cause the venting helps to sheet off some wind off the sail? I might be wrong..so comments welcomed.

Thanks
Darryl

#2 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 04:25 AM

I would use the Vented as the lead Kite, and make sure you connect all 7 points meaning all 6 caps and the middle bridle point.

There is a whole thread on stacking if you need instructions on how to attach them.

Good Luck, You will love them stacked.
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#3 lasapcheong

lasapcheong

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 09:01 AM

I would use the Vented as the lead Kite, and make sure you connect all 7 points meaning all 6 caps and the middle bridle point.

There is a whole thread on stacking if you need instructions on how to attach them.

Good Luck, You will love them stacked.

Thanks Jim...I"m currently on 90# lines now..so in a 2tack do you recommend upgrading the line strenght to maybe 150#, or 90# will work for now?

Darryl

#4 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 09:16 AM

Hi,

I have 2 B-Series, a std and a vented and I"m thinking of stacking them together. Which kite do you recommend to be the leader kite? The std or vtd? I know the front kite takes most of the load in a stack so my instinct would be the vtd cause the venting helps to sheet off some wind off the sail? I might be wrong..so comments welcomed.

Thanks
Darryl

My personal experience is to have the vented as the lead REV. Then followed by the tougher standards(4 wrap then 3 wraps) with the SUL, wind permitting, at the tail.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#5 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 12:23 PM

Agreed John... The simple perspective, as I see it:

The full sail (in the back) holds the whole stack taut, carrying some of the vented's weight.

Switch it around, and the back of your stack will never keep up with the front. ;)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#6 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 02:14 PM

Thanks Jim...I"m currently on 90# lines now..so in a 2tack do you recommend upgrading the line strenght to maybe 150#, or 90# will work for now?

Darryl

90# should be more than enough for just 2 especially seeing as the front one is Vented, by the time the wind gets strong enough for it to be a concern stacks are usually not much fun to fly anyhow ( unless you enjoy tug of war with a truck )

One thing I can suggest from experiance is bring in the top lines on the handles and let out the bottoms a bit from normal, stacks seem to not like much brake but like more lift.

Hope that helps, Jim
Jim,

Posted Image

#7 lasapcheong

lasapcheong

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 11:05 PM

Agreed John... The simple perspective, as I see it:

The full sail (in the back) holds the whole stack taut, carrying some of the vented's weight.

Switch it around, and the back of your stack will never keep up with the front. ;)

Thanks. This is what I'll be planning to go for my stacks

Front Kite: B-Series VTD with Race Rods
Back Kite: B-Series Std with 2 Wrap "Professional" Rods
Lines: 90#, either 85ft or 100ft depending on wind conditions.

I'm trying to toughen up the front kite while conserving weight hence the race rods..Trying to get my stack setup for some light wind condition but while still able to handle the occasional gusts...Anything I should be worried about here? Also I'm quite curious what's the minimum wind speed I should expect in order for this to work..I'm hoping it'll go down to as low as 3mph but being able to handle busts up to 10 + 15mph ish winds..

Thanks
Darryl

#8 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 11:10 PM

On the low end, I'd say 3 mph with a little light wind technique... 3-4 mph for self-sustained flight.

Upper range, using those frames, I'd guess about 12 mph - any other guesses?

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#9 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 06:42 AM

Just so you know I've had 2 Rev 2's stacked that pulled pretty well in 6-8 mph wind, even with a vented kite in front you are theoretically using twice the sail area now.

My usual quick stack is a standard 1.5 vented and a non vented that i throw together now and then just to goof around with and you will be surprised at how much even 2 kites will pull, try it with standard frames first then if you feel comfortable (and lucky) just lighten the rear frame.

I don't think i would chance breaking a set of Race rods or 2 wraps even in light wind. plus the fact the front kite will have added pressure from the second which is why you want to use a heavier LE on the front.

Personally I would go 3 wraps in both minimum it will surprise you how much lift you get with those 2 sails together even if 1 is vented.
Jim,

Posted Image

#10 lasapcheong

lasapcheong

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 06:47 PM

Just so you know I've had 2 Rev 2's stacked that pulled pretty well in 6-8 mph wind, even with a vented kite in front you are theoretically using twice the sail area now.

My usual quick stack is a standard 1.5 vented and a non vented that i throw together now and then just to goof around with and you will be surprised at how much even 2 kites will pull, try it with standard frames first then if you feel comfortable (and lucky) just lighten the rear frame.

I don't think i would chance breaking a set of Race rods or 2 wraps even in light wind. plus the fact the front kite will have added pressure from the second which is why you want to use a heavier LE on the front.

Personally I would go 3 wraps in both minimum it will surprise you how much lift you get with those 2 sails together even if 1 is vented.

Thanks for your replies. Its been very helpful..Maybe I'll start with a 3 wrap on my front kite first to have a try..Looking forward to stacking my revs as I've never done it before..What kind of handling would I expect on a rev besides the added pull? Speed? Would precision be sacrificed greatly? How about reverse flight? Does it need more finesse to move in reverse or its more stable (the wingtip doesn't flip out as easily)?

Thanks
Darryl

#11 steveb

steveb

Occasional Poseur

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 08:17 PM

I was flying my Vented Rev II this afternoon and thought that I'd try making a short stack with one of my other Rev IIs.

I put the Vented Rev II in front on the theory that the full sail has a larger wind window than the Vented, plus it's faster,so it wouldn't lag behind and maybe some of the wind going through the Vent's mesh would push on the back sail too.

It flew very well, I'd like to add another.
vented_revII_stack.jpg

#12 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 11:01 AM

Had my first attempt with a Vented B (4 wrap), standard 1.5 (3 wrap) and Standard B (3 wrap) today ... having read all the posts on here and followed all of the advice I was pleasantly surprised that it all worked straight out of the bag! .. flew on standard 90lb lines as it was only 5-8 knots but still plenty of pull...

Added pigtails and made my own stacking lines from 2mm Dyneema as a test but will definitely make up some proper ones as per Kents suggestion thats assuming I dont buy a custom stack as it was such a hoot to fly!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3568.JPG
  • IMG_3604.JPG

#13 steveb

steveb

Occasional Poseur

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 06:09 PM

I like the look of that stack, Jonesey!
I hope to soon have a 3 stack of gold B-Series in Vented, mid-Vent and Standard sails.
It will be like Chrimbo in June. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users