Photo

Which Rev? (1, 1.5, 2, or B)

Best Answer awindofchange, 16 November 2007 - 10:47 AM

Wow, this is a little more difficult than the question implies. Your basically asking a detailed pros vs. cons about every Rev in the lineup except the speed and power ones. One could write a 100 page book on this....but we'll just try and keep it as basic as possible. You should be able to do a search on each of the kites you are interested in and get the info but I will try to summarize it up in on post for you.

Rev 1:
The Sedgwick is the same kite as the Rev 1 with a different panel layout and no mylar so I will just include it with this response. Some say the no-mylar sail flies a bit better but usually comes down to color choices and appearance. The Rev 1 is slow and graceful. Arguably the most precise kite in the Rev lineup. The Rev 1 is the largest of all the Revs (except the power 2-4 & 4-8) and also has the largest wind range in it's stock form. With changing out the leading edges you can increase the wind range but you may still be limited to the upper wind range unless you go with a vented version as well. The Rev 1 usually comes packaged from Rev with the SLE (super leading edge). Other leading edges can be ordered as replacements for the SLE if desired. The Rev 1 is available with SLE and Standard leading edges for both the standard and sedgwick models, SUL model(special order) & Vented models.
Cons....??? Well, I guess the slowness of the kite is the only con unless you are not a speed freak then there is no cons. Many pilots (including my wife) absolutely love the Rev 1 with its gracefulness and control and would take it over the other Rev's any day.

Rev 1.5 SLE:
At this time Revolution does not produce just a 1.5 so the only option on this model is the Rev 1.5 SLE. The 1.5 SLE is a great kite with a ton of versatility to it and is the best selling model (in our shop). The 1.5 SLE has multiple rods that can be changed in and out of the kite such as the SLE 3 & 4 wraps, standard rods in 2, 3, & 4 wrap and the new Race Rods. This allows the 1.5 SLE (and the vented version) to be able to be flown in nearly any winds from 1-2 mph all the way to a reported 40+ mph with just a simple change of the frame rods. Rod sets average around $60-$70 per set so getting other rods for your 1.5 SLE is very inexpensive and simple. Our shop does offer to exchange out the SLE rods to any other rod you want at no additional charge so if you do not want the SLE you can give us a call. The 1.5 SLE is available in SUL, Standard & Vented models.
Cons...Not quite as precise as the Rev 1 (A qualified pilot has the ability to match the precision of the Rev 1 with this model but the Rev 1 a little easier to do precise maneuvers) The precision issue is very minimal between the 1 and 1.5. The 1.5 SLE is a little twitchier and flies quicker than the Rev 1, especially with the SLE installed.

Rev II:
This kite is very quick and can be a blast to fly. It is not as quick as the speed series but still faster than the 1.5 SLE. It doesn't have near the pull that any of the other models have either so flying it in 15+ mph winds is both fun and easy to do. It is probably the lightest pulling kite in the entire Rev lineup (except the indoor but that is obvious). Because of it's small size it is quick and not as precise as the 1.5 SLE (pilot experience makes most of the difference here as well). It is a fun little bugger to fly. The Rev II is awesome fun to stack. The Rev II is available in standard, Vented and 3 stack configurations.
Cons...It is a limited production model, usually only made once a year so supply is very limited and it may be difficult to get a specific color without a special order. It is quick and twitchy.

B-Series:
The B-series is basically a 1.5 sail with a different panel layout. The sail materials are slightly different and combined with the unique panel layout the B-series flies very smoothly and has a great wind range. The B-series is a kite designed for a Rev pilot who wants the ultimate Revolution kite. The package comes with two complete frame sets:
Standard Version - 2 wrap and 3 wrap frames
Vented Version - 3 wrap and 4 wrap frames
The package also has pre-knotted handles to make adjustments to your flying style very quick and easy. It also comes with a weight kit to help with 3D flying such as axle's, flick-flack's and other advanced tricks. It also carries a logo from John B. himself on the sail. The kite is a great package that will help take your flying experience to the next level.
Cons...The B-series package is the most expensive of all the kites listed and it does not come with lines which must be purchased separately.

I want to point out that the above information is only my opinion and others may experience different results than what I have posted. This post is not to reflect badly on any of the kites listed above or to be taken that one kite is not a very good model. Revolution has done a wonderful job at producing kites that are totally fun for different flying styles and wind ranges (different strokes for different folks). None of the kites in the Rev lineup are really competing with each other as they are all different enough from the others to warrant their existence. It really comes down to personal preference as to which kite is better than the other. I do have all of the models above in my bag at all times cuz they're all awesome to fly!!! I haven't listed many cons on the kites cuz I just can't think of any....... They are all awesome kites. You should just buy them all now cuz you'll probably end up with them all anyways :)

Hope this helps. Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#61 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:42 PM

I'm a bit of a noob... :blushing: What's a Rev II? Has it been discontinued?

Or is it the smaller B2 (JohnBarresi 2)?

I've not been able to find anything on the current Revkites product line-up other than the B2.

No problem!

The B2 is a scaled down REV 1.5 B series to about the size of a REV II.
For information and a history of the REV II look here: http://johnnmitchell...history/r2.html
Sometime I will get around to writing more on the B2.

Also take a look at the REVOLUTION web site at: http://www.revkites.com
It should give you most of the information on the present products available.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#62 Moggy

Moggy
  • Forum Member
  • 38 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:36 PM

The B2 is a scaled down REV 1.5 B series to about the size of a REV II.
For information and a history of the REV II look here: http://johnnmitchell...history/r2.html
Sometime I will get around to writing more on the B2.

What a great site, a wonderful encyclopedic history and evolution of the Rev lines. Certainly feel I know a good deal more now. :) Ty!

#63 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:39 PM

What a great site, a wonderful encyclopedic history and evolution of the Rev lines. Certainly feel I know a good deal more now. :) Ty!

I am very pleased to hear you like it. Thank You!

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#64 Moggy

Moggy
  • Forum Member
  • 38 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:06 PM

I am very pleased to hear you like it. Thank You!

Really interesting to see how the designs have changed and evolved over time, pinpointing specific eras, some advancing through the years to become classics, others that made brief appearances before falling by the wayside though no less important. Nice that they've been catalogued so the rare ones are not lost in time.

The masterpieces are sublime. Think my favourite has got to be The Dark Lady by Randy Tom. Would go very well in Whitby (England), one of my favourite places to stay, as that's where Bram Stoker was inspired and wrote 'Dracula', and there's a really great goth vibe there.

#65 jean-francois

jean-francois
  • Forum Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:42 AM

Hi,

Rev 1.5 SLE:
The 1.5 SLE is available in SUL, Standard & Vented models.

I wonder if the 1.5 SLE is still available in SUL?

I can't find the SUL version here:

http://www.revkites....te-products/sle

Do you know if this version has been stopped?

Thank you!

#66 SparkieRob

SparkieRob

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:58 AM

It's not listed on the Rev website but many shops stock the SUL in the same colours as the SLE. Some have them in custom colours too!

"Inbetween heaven and earth, there are kites."

#67 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:01 AM

The SUL was the second Rev I bought and I loved it, we'll actually I still do but, now in low wind my weapon of choice is a printed Rev.
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#68 jean-francois

jean-francois
  • Forum Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:17 AM

Thanks for your prompt replies!

In fact I was looking for the differences between the 1.5 SLE STD and the 1.5 SLE SUL : frame? fabric? wind range? anything else?

I couldn't find on revkites.com and it is quite difficult to find detailed "up-to-date" informations about it on the web...?

#69 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:30 AM

Lighter frame, two wrap (Professional Use Only ) as opposed to 3 wrap (Ultra Light) in the standard, spectra bridle (more trouble than its worth IMHO) and (I believe) lighter sail.
Stone in Shoe Bob

#70 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:32 AM

The SUL has been discontinued.  Rev no longer produces this model.  We have a few SUL's left in stock and you may be able to find some in some other stores but once they are gone, that will be it.

The differences between the standard and the SUL:

Sail Material: Std=Nylon | SUL=Poly

Bridle: Std=normal bridle line | SUL=Spectra

Leading edge material:  Std=normal reinforced dacron | SUL=ripstop nylon

Frames are interchangeable but SUL usually comes with 2 wraps.   Standard comes with SLE and 3 wrap LE.

Hope that helps.

#71 jburka

jburka

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:37 AM

The SLE STD and SUL are basically identical, except that the SLE has the Super Leading Edge and 3 wrap verticals, while the SUL is a full two-wrap frame. They share the same sail (ripstop poly). Frankly, I can't recall if a lighter weight bridle is used on the SUL, but I don't believe so. There's absolutely no comparison in wind range -- the SUL with 2s will fly in very light wind, as you'd expect from the name. The SLE will perform much better in higher winds, but is still not a frame choice selected by many people any more (too stiff, not worth the weight, etc.)<br /><br />The advantage to buying the SUL is that if you want, you could always purchase an SLE leading edge and use it in the same kite.<br /><br />The biggest downside to the SUL is, if you're new to the Rev, it's a more fragile frame to be learning on. Not that it can't be done. But it's worth pointing out.

#72 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:44 AM

That's sad news, though I can understand the reasoning.

RIP sul.

I reckon the SUL was the Rev that turned me from a bloke that flies a Rev, into a true Rev Flier.
Stone in Shoe Bob

#73 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:49 AM

I have had an SUL for several years now and use it in really light winds! With its lighter LE pocket, 2 wrap frame, spectra bridle, it weighs about as little as you can get away with and still hold up to gusts at times! With skill, you can get this to fly in very low wind conditions, but it doesn't fly itself, you need to have some practice on light winds to enjoy!!

You can put a stronger frame in it, but you also risk stretching the sail out! (My experience!)

It did make an affordable option for light winds over a Zen, but I'm saving my pennies for that one next!!

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#74 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:08 AM

The SLE STD and SUL are basically identical, except that the SLE has the Super Leading Edge and 3 wrap verticals, while the SUL is a full two-wrap frame. They share the same sail (ripstop poly). Frankly, I can't recall if a lighter weight bridle is used on the SUL, but I don't believe so. There's absolutely no comparison in wind range -- the SUL with 2s will fly in very light wind, as you'd expect from the name. The SLE will perform much better in higher winds, but is still not a frame choice selected by many people any more (too stiff, not worth the weight, etc.)<br /><br />The advantage to buying the SUL is that if you want, you could always purchase an SLE leading edge and use it in the same kite.<br /><br />The biggest downside to the SUL is, if you're new to the Rev, it's a more fragile frame to be learning on. Not that it can't be done. But it's worth pointing out.

Just as a correction to the above....

The 1.5 SLE is now made of ripstop nylon, not ripstop poly.  The 1.5 use to be produced with the ripstop poly sail just like the B-Series but in 2010 Revolution changed the packaging up a little on the 1.5 to include both the SLE leading edge and the standard 3 wrap leading edge and also changed the sail material from poly to ripstop nylon.  All of the 1.5 series kites produced since 2010 are made from ripstop nylon with the exception of the SUL which was still produced in the poly.  If you have a 1.5 that has a poly sail, it was produced before 2010.

The SUL bridle is a 100% spectra line.  The standard 1.5 bridle is spectra core bridle line which is heavier.

*****It is still possible to get a 1.5 SLE sail in poly but it is a custom order and usually includes an upcharge in price.  Available colors may also be limited and some color combinations may not be possible.

#75 jburka

jburka

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:52 AM

Thanks for the correction, Kent. Just goes to show how little I pay attention to the 1.5 SLE!

#76 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:55 PM

Anytime buddy, it gets confusing with all the different models and types, then whey they go and change it up on us it adds even more confusion.  It is awesome that we have this forum to help us all keep on top of things.

#77 jean-francois

jean-francois
  • Forum Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:49 PM

Wow, thank you all! So many details!

It's good to have experts sharing their knowledge!

I am trying to understand the whole range and will probably have other questions soon ;-)

This post is useful.

Thank you.

#78 Phlexipus

Phlexipus
  • Forum Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:47 AM

Well slightly off topic maybe but what is the difference in quality between ripstop polyester and ripstop nylon?

thx.

#79 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:49 AM

POPULAR

There are different flavors of each type.  All the way from uncoated nylon on one end to polycarbonate coated polyester on the other.  

There are different weights of materials available as well.  Icarex is about .6 ounce per square meter, not counting the coating's additional weight.  Some folks feel white is lighter in weight than other colors because it's not carrying the dye.  Dacron on the leading edge sleeve is 3.9 ounces per sq/meter.  Banner fabric is usually 1.5 ounce nylon.

You could buy a kite made out of polyester fabric, but one crafted of Icarex will certainly cost you more.  Some materials are laminated together to incorporate multiple objectives.  Scrim in the mylar, or a mylar back nylon, for example.

Poly doesn't gain weight as quickly when wet compared to nylon, nor does it stretch and return to shape.  Surely you could see applications where both of these treats are desirable.  How about in competition and you want the kite slower?, wetting a nylon kite is not news!  Or you're just jacking around in bad weather, chasing seagulls on the boardwalk, then a more responsive poly kite is called for.

Orcon can not be sewn or come to a sharp right angle in construction,yet  it has uses for indoor kites despite these limitations.

Many kite builders in my club begin with tyvek (like a Fedex envelope, synthetic paper) prototype.  It might be stapled onto a dowel wood frame or duct taped together.  The kite will explode and the stress points can be identified, subsequently reinforced and tested again with a more complete prototype.

Different fabric colors can be combined, but mixing fabrics is a no-no for most builders.  Some of the best do it anyway, it's all about color selection.  If you needed 12 purples on your design you will have to mix fabrics.  Different stretch and bias characteristics will need to be thought thru and planned for.

I'm no scientist, but some materials are worth more time to use and funds to acquire in my experience.  I live in the land of no-wind, I'll take catastrophic failure over stretch anytime.

#80 Phlexipus

Phlexipus
  • Forum Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:27 AM

Thx, for clearing that out, REVflyer. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users