Photo

Which Rev? (1, 1.5, 2, or B)

Best Answer awindofchange, 16 November 2007 - 10:47 AM

Wow, this is a little more difficult than the question implies. Your basically asking a detailed pros vs. cons about every Rev in the lineup except the speed and power ones. One could write a 100 page book on this....but we'll just try and keep it as basic as possible. You should be able to do a search on each of the kites you are interested in and get the info but I will try to summarize it up in on post for you.

Rev 1:
The Sedgwick is the same kite as the Rev 1 with a different panel layout and no mylar so I will just include it with this response. Some say the no-mylar sail flies a bit better but usually comes down to color choices and appearance. The Rev 1 is slow and graceful. Arguably the most precise kite in the Rev lineup. The Rev 1 is the largest of all the Revs (except the power 2-4 & 4-8) and also has the largest wind range in it's stock form. With changing out the leading edges you can increase the wind range but you may still be limited to the upper wind range unless you go with a vented version as well. The Rev 1 usually comes packaged from Rev with the SLE (super leading edge). Other leading edges can be ordered as replacements for the SLE if desired. The Rev 1 is available with SLE and Standard leading edges for both the standard and sedgwick models, SUL model(special order) & Vented models.
Cons....??? Well, I guess the slowness of the kite is the only con unless you are not a speed freak then there is no cons. Many pilots (including my wife) absolutely love the Rev 1 with its gracefulness and control and would take it over the other Rev's any day.

Rev 1.5 SLE:
At this time Revolution does not produce just a 1.5 so the only option on this model is the Rev 1.5 SLE. The 1.5 SLE is a great kite with a ton of versatility to it and is the best selling model (in our shop). The 1.5 SLE has multiple rods that can be changed in and out of the kite such as the SLE 3 & 4 wraps, standard rods in 2, 3, & 4 wrap and the new Race Rods. This allows the 1.5 SLE (and the vented version) to be able to be flown in nearly any winds from 1-2 mph all the way to a reported 40+ mph with just a simple change of the frame rods. Rod sets average around $60-$70 per set so getting other rods for your 1.5 SLE is very inexpensive and simple. Our shop does offer to exchange out the SLE rods to any other rod you want at no additional charge so if you do not want the SLE you can give us a call. The 1.5 SLE is available in SUL, Standard & Vented models.
Cons...Not quite as precise as the Rev 1 (A qualified pilot has the ability to match the precision of the Rev 1 with this model but the Rev 1 a little easier to do precise maneuvers) The precision issue is very minimal between the 1 and 1.5. The 1.5 SLE is a little twitchier and flies quicker than the Rev 1, especially with the SLE installed.

Rev II:
This kite is very quick and can be a blast to fly. It is not as quick as the speed series but still faster than the 1.5 SLE. It doesn't have near the pull that any of the other models have either so flying it in 15+ mph winds is both fun and easy to do. It is probably the lightest pulling kite in the entire Rev lineup (except the indoor but that is obvious). Because of it's small size it is quick and not as precise as the 1.5 SLE (pilot experience makes most of the difference here as well). It is a fun little bugger to fly. The Rev II is awesome fun to stack. The Rev II is available in standard, Vented and 3 stack configurations.
Cons...It is a limited production model, usually only made once a year so supply is very limited and it may be difficult to get a specific color without a special order. It is quick and twitchy.

B-Series:
The B-series is basically a 1.5 sail with a different panel layout. The sail materials are slightly different and combined with the unique panel layout the B-series flies very smoothly and has a great wind range. The B-series is a kite designed for a Rev pilot who wants the ultimate Revolution kite. The package comes with two complete frame sets:
Standard Version - 2 wrap and 3 wrap frames
Vented Version - 3 wrap and 4 wrap frames
The package also has pre-knotted handles to make adjustments to your flying style very quick and easy. It also comes with a weight kit to help with 3D flying such as axle's, flick-flack's and other advanced tricks. It also carries a logo from John B. himself on the sail. The kite is a great package that will help take your flying experience to the next level.
Cons...The B-series package is the most expensive of all the kites listed and it does not come with lines which must be purchased separately.

I want to point out that the above information is only my opinion and others may experience different results than what I have posted. This post is not to reflect badly on any of the kites listed above or to be taken that one kite is not a very good model. Revolution has done a wonderful job at producing kites that are totally fun for different flying styles and wind ranges (different strokes for different folks). None of the kites in the Rev lineup are really competing with each other as they are all different enough from the others to warrant their existence. It really comes down to personal preference as to which kite is better than the other. I do have all of the models above in my bag at all times cuz they're all awesome to fly!!! I haven't listed many cons on the kites cuz I just can't think of any....... They are all awesome kites. You should just buy them all now cuz you'll probably end up with them all anyways :)

Hope this helps. Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#41 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 02:50 AM

There are a bunch of us 'Hampshire Hoverers' around here so a short trip up or down the A3 should get you sorted

For sure. Hardly any distance at all.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#42 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 04:46 AM

Ya, can't beat a side by side comparison with someone who is properly familiarized with the equipment.

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#43 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 05:01 AM

Ya, can't beat a side by side comparison with someone who is properly familiarized with the equipment.

Oh so not Jeremy or me then ;)

#44 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 05:09 AM

Actually I'm fine on that. Since I lost weight I have become familiarsized with the equipment again.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

#45 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 05:10 AM

or me then ;)

Maybe not, seeing as your rev seems to go around demolishing world famous landmark buildings in the process (in your updated avatar!) ;)

P.S. hello Neil.... Welcome.
Like others have said you won't be disappointed starting out on a 1.5 B.
The rev 1 is slow and graceful and the rev II is fast but you can tame the twitchiness.
All are good fun.
1 of the 47.

#46 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 06:24 AM

John,

You forgot the rest of the story ... "and, whose equipment kite is properly set up."

My first flight was on a properly set up vented B-series kite. The owner's comment was something along the lines of "are you sure you've never flown before?"

After my own kite arrived it was two weeks of trial and error before I achieved the same level of controllability. There really should be a little yellow book for beginners ... "Kite Setup for Dummies". Many new flyers are being talked into starting with the B-series, and although the DVD covers many topics well, it doesn't really address how the handles should feel in your hands. But, on the other hand, I'd of missed the excitement of chasing the kite around the sky if the setup would have been correct.

Cheers,
Tom

#47 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 09:51 AM

Maybe not, seeing as your rev seems to go around demolishing world famous landmark buildings in the process (in your updated avatar!) ;)

Well spotted Choc ...That's me yielding to pressure from my son William 'make them all blow up daddy :kid_devlish: .....

Pleased to say contact has been made with Neil and a meet-up to take place shortly .... anybody got any ideas of how we explain/introduce/account for Jeremy with new members??

#48 LS Kite Stakes

LS Kite Stakes

Make it Custom!

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 10:28 AM

Just don't explain anything, let them get the full Sailor experience with no warning.........
LS Custom Kite Accessories

Maker of the Original Marble Kite Stake
And Revolution Snagless Pro Handles
http://www.Kitestakes.com

Posted Image

#49 david ellison

david ellison

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 10:32 AM

.... anybody got any ideas of how we explain/introduce/account for Jeremy with new members??

you might try the care in the community/ outreach charity / missionary work approach. Alternatively he responded well to Cornish pasties yesterday.

#50 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 08:19 PM

Ooooo. What with your comments on Monkie's language skills, didn't we wake up snarky today Jonesey. What's wrong?

BTW. Are you sure you will be allowed to go out to play on the day you organize to meet this new chap? Or will you have to do the hoovering that day? ;)

I didn't realise they were Cornish pasties. Had I done so I of course would not have eaten them, not wanting to deprive a 3rd world area of vital food. ;)
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

#51 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 09:30 PM

.... anybody got any ideas of how we explain/introduce/account for Jeremy with new members??

I always find a kind smile and a gentle shake of the head seems to work . :devil:

#52 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 11:43 PM

or me then ;)

Oh look Jonesey. You turned into an enigmatic man of few words. Who'd have thought.

I really hate it when you shake my head Baloo. It makes my brain ache. :)
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

#53 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 09:16 AM

I didnt mean your head silly

If I had meant your head it would not have been a gentle shake ;-}

#54 lamrith

lamrith

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:11 AM

Any new/updated information on this subject? 1st post was 2007, last was 2009..

New models, etc?

I have been flying quad line power kites since August. Flew dual line before that. HOOOKED good and proper and looking to expand the quiver with a Rev for the lighter days that the Open cell foils will not fly. My local flying spot the winds are usually from 2mph-8mph. So I need an initial package that will fly in almost nothing. My 8m open cell will fly 4-5mph up.

Sounds like a 1.5 is a great all around starter? It looks like there is SLE version, and SUL version of the sail, as well as spars (2,3,4 wrap)?

Would a SLE standard sail with 2 wrap bar fly as low as 2mph? If that requires a 1.5 SUL sail what are that sails limits for top end wind? Beach trips are higher wind, not 100% sure the avg wind but I would guess it is 10-15mph typically and some days higher...
Rev B full sail, Mid & Full Vent
Rev SLE
Rev Blast
Large Duffel bag full of frameless ripstop and lines

An ear to ear grin when the trees are moving

#55 LS Kite Stakes

LS Kite Stakes

Make it Custom!

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:45 PM

A B series full sail would be best, for the initial investment. It comes with 3 wrap and 2 wrap frame sets, a great training video with John B himself, and is plenty tough for a beginner.

Sounds like you are flying at Kitehenge, also known as Chambers Creek Central Meadow. Do not expect low wind flying to be easy with a Rev, you will need a bit of time on the handles and maybe some help from an experienced flier before it "clicks". A good learning wind would be at least 5mph, and not much more than 15mph. Flying on a 2mph breeze is not impossible, and can be done with ease by a experienced flier with a kite that has been tuned for those conditions. A B series full sail (I have one and fly light wind with it) is a very capable kite for light winds.

Posted Image

#56 lamrith

lamrith

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 07:54 PM

A B series full sail would be best, for the initial investment. It comes with 3 wrap and 2 wrap frame sets, a great training video with John B himself, and is plenty tough for a beginner.

Sounds like you are flying at Kitehenge, also known as Chambers Creek Central Meadow. Do not expect low wind flying to be easy with a Rev, you will need a bit of time on the handles and maybe some help from an experienced flier before it "clicks". A good learning wind would be at least 5mph, and not much more than 15mph. Flying on a 2mph breeze is not impossible, and can be done with ease by a experienced flier with a kite that has been tuned for those conditions. A B series full sail (I have one and fly light wind with it) is a very capable kite for light winds.

Yup you got my flight location exactly. Never heard of it called Kitehenge though! It is a popular local spot though, many weekday evenings there were 2-3 of us out flying.

Would a SUL sail and 2 wrap fly much better in those low winds? How about an EXP, they are 2oz lighter than the sle, and on par with the B for weight? I have a couple kids and a wife I want to get going as well and they have no real kite experience, so the tamer exp may be a good 1st option?(and much more in my price range)

Baring that does anyone have a used "B" they would part with? A new rtf is gonna be out of my range for a while!
Rev SLE
Rev Blast

#57 LS Kite Stakes

LS Kite Stakes

Make it Custom!

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:19 PM

It is not how light the sail is, it is a matter of where the weight is on the kite, and the abilities of the flier. The EXP is not "tamer", it is a Rev that is made with less expensive materials, and, IMHO, is not as precise as a B series.

Kitehenge is my main field where I fly, we should meet up sometime. I haven't had the time to go recently, lots of thing to do on my plate. I am sure that you can find a used 1.5B by posting in "open Topic", there are plenty of fliers here that could part with a old kite.

Posted Image

#58 lamrith

lamrith

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:41 PM

It is not how light the sail is, it is a matter of where the weight is on the kite, and the abilities of the flier. The EXP is not "tamer", it is a Rev that is made with less expensive materials, and, IMHO, is not as precise as a B series.

Kitehenge is my main field where I fly, we should meet up sometime. I haven't had the time to go recently, lots of thing to do on my plate. I am sure that you can find a used 1.5B by posting in "open Topic", there are plenty of fliers here that could part with a old kite.

Sounds good. I can bring my bag of power kites you can try if you have not done that before. Though they will not be nimble like a Rev they will make you know you are harnessing the wind!

Is it just me or has the wind been TERRIBLE the last few months? I have not been able to get in the air since the 1st week of Dec!

I live very close to you based on member map, are there any spots out our way that are flyable, maybe on short lines? It's just so hilly, not sure if there is any clean spots in the new commercial area behind Boeing?
Rev SLE
Rev Blast

#59 lamrith

lamrith

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:38 PM

Well It's kid @ christmas time now. I just ordered a Blue/black Rev B! Kent @ Awindofchange is hooking me up with one of his demo units. Any luck it shipped today and I should have Monday! WOOOT!
Rev SLE
Rev Blast

#60 Moggy

Moggy
  • Forum Member
  • 39 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:06 PM

I'm a bit of a noob... :blushing: What's a Rev II? Has it been discontinued?

Or is it the smaller B2 (JohnBarresi 2)?

I've not been able to find anything on the current Revkites product line-up other than the B2.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users