Photo

Which Rev? (1, 1.5, 2, or B)

Best Answer awindofchange, 16 November 2007 - 10:47 AM

Wow, this is a little more difficult than the question implies. Your basically asking a detailed pros vs. cons about every Rev in the lineup except the speed and power ones. One could write a 100 page book on this....but we'll just try and keep it as basic as possible. You should be able to do a search on each of the kites you are interested in and get the info but I will try to summarize it up in on post for you.

Rev 1:
The Sedgwick is the same kite as the Rev 1 with a different panel layout and no mylar so I will just include it with this response. Some say the no-mylar sail flies a bit better but usually comes down to color choices and appearance. The Rev 1 is slow and graceful. Arguably the most precise kite in the Rev lineup. The Rev 1 is the largest of all the Revs (except the power 2-4 & 4-8) and also has the largest wind range in it's stock form. With changing out the leading edges you can increase the wind range but you may still be limited to the upper wind range unless you go with a vented version as well. The Rev 1 usually comes packaged from Rev with the SLE (super leading edge). Other leading edges can be ordered as replacements for the SLE if desired. The Rev 1 is available with SLE and Standard leading edges for both the standard and sedgwick models, SUL model(special order) & Vented models.
Cons....??? Well, I guess the slowness of the kite is the only con unless you are not a speed freak then there is no cons. Many pilots (including my wife) absolutely love the Rev 1 with its gracefulness and control and would take it over the other Rev's any day.

Rev 1.5 SLE:
At this time Revolution does not produce just a 1.5 so the only option on this model is the Rev 1.5 SLE. The 1.5 SLE is a great kite with a ton of versatility to it and is the best selling model (in our shop). The 1.5 SLE has multiple rods that can be changed in and out of the kite such as the SLE 3 & 4 wraps, standard rods in 2, 3, & 4 wrap and the new Race Rods. This allows the 1.5 SLE (and the vented version) to be able to be flown in nearly any winds from 1-2 mph all the way to a reported 40+ mph with just a simple change of the frame rods. Rod sets average around $60-$70 per set so getting other rods for your 1.5 SLE is very inexpensive and simple. Our shop does offer to exchange out the SLE rods to any other rod you want at no additional charge so if you do not want the SLE you can give us a call. The 1.5 SLE is available in SUL, Standard & Vented models.
Cons...Not quite as precise as the Rev 1 (A qualified pilot has the ability to match the precision of the Rev 1 with this model but the Rev 1 a little easier to do precise maneuvers) The precision issue is very minimal between the 1 and 1.5. The 1.5 SLE is a little twitchier and flies quicker than the Rev 1, especially with the SLE installed.

Rev II:
This kite is very quick and can be a blast to fly. It is not as quick as the speed series but still faster than the 1.5 SLE. It doesn't have near the pull that any of the other models have either so flying it in 15+ mph winds is both fun and easy to do. It is probably the lightest pulling kite in the entire Rev lineup (except the indoor but that is obvious). Because of it's small size it is quick and not as precise as the 1.5 SLE (pilot experience makes most of the difference here as well). It is a fun little bugger to fly. The Rev II is awesome fun to stack. The Rev II is available in standard, Vented and 3 stack configurations.
Cons...It is a limited production model, usually only made once a year so supply is very limited and it may be difficult to get a specific color without a special order. It is quick and twitchy.

B-Series:
The B-series is basically a 1.5 sail with a different panel layout. The sail materials are slightly different and combined with the unique panel layout the B-series flies very smoothly and has a great wind range. The B-series is a kite designed for a Rev pilot who wants the ultimate Revolution kite. The package comes with two complete frame sets:
Standard Version - 2 wrap and 3 wrap frames
Vented Version - 3 wrap and 4 wrap frames
The package also has pre-knotted handles to make adjustments to your flying style very quick and easy. It also comes with a weight kit to help with 3D flying such as axle's, flick-flack's and other advanced tricks. It also carries a logo from John B. himself on the sail. The kite is a great package that will help take your flying experience to the next level.
Cons...The B-series package is the most expensive of all the kites listed and it does not come with lines which must be purchased separately.

I want to point out that the above information is only my opinion and others may experience different results than what I have posted. This post is not to reflect badly on any of the kites listed above or to be taken that one kite is not a very good model. Revolution has done a wonderful job at producing kites that are totally fun for different flying styles and wind ranges (different strokes for different folks). None of the kites in the Rev lineup are really competing with each other as they are all different enough from the others to warrant their existence. It really comes down to personal preference as to which kite is better than the other. I do have all of the models above in my bag at all times cuz they're all awesome to fly!!! I haven't listed many cons on the kites cuz I just can't think of any....... They are all awesome kites. You should just buy them all now cuz you'll probably end up with them all anyways :)

Hope this helps. Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#21 XJJoe01

XJJoe01

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 07:52 AM

John,
I'm generally in the 2-10mph with occasional 13ish winds. Ideally, I'd guess a 2 wrap, 3wrap or 2+3wrap together would do most of the time. Do you think a straight 4wrap would do it as well?

I like Denny's idea as well. A 2wrap + 4 wrap frame would provide some overlap.

Thanks!
Clin

Clin,

If you didn't want a Rev 1, I think a standard B series would do you fine also. I think the B series is an amazing kite to fly and will bring you years of enjoyment. I added race rods for mine to fly in lower wind conditions. It rocks!! :sign_kitelife:

Joe
1 lime and black B standard
1 lime and black B vent
1 20th anniversary edition :)

#22 Clin

Clin

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 04:56 PM

Clin,

If you didn't want a Rev 1, I think a standard B series would do you fine also. I think the B series is an amazing kite to fly and will bring you years of enjoyment. I added race rods for mine to fly in lower wind conditions. It rocks!! :sign_kitelife:

Joe

I have already got the Std B-series. Have plans to get a vented 1.5 and maybe a Rev 1 or 1.5 SUL. Oh yeah, the B-series rocks and I'm loking to rock further! :blue-music:

Clin

#23 jay

jay

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 06:52 AM

Well after reading all of that, I wont post my question, I'll go out and buy a standard B series instead.
Tight Lines
Jade

http://www.kiteworld.co.uk/

#24 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 07:02 AM

Go on mate,fill ya boots.The B series is smashing.Get both std and vented if ya can.

Then go Get a sedgewick for xmas,send it to yourself and open it xmas morning ;) .

BRIAN...

#25 ian4c

ian4c

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 07:21 AM

Go on mate,fill ya boots.The B series is smashing.Get both std and vented if ya can.

Then go Get a sedgewick for xmas,send it to yourself and open it xmas morning ;) .

BRIAN...

I'm just wondering Brian. Who is this guy that asks for information? Then does not reply to any posts offering help.
Seems odd to me.

What happened Bob D?

#26 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 07:18 AM

I got my 2 wrap for the Sedgwick and have now had a chance to fly it in ultra light wind. Love it. :wub: It defies gravity. I would never take it out in any big wind as it feels like a spider web out there. I had people coming up to me asking how I do that with no wind. There were 2 to 3mph winds which were plenty to do anything I know how to do in any wind. I know the Rev 1 will fly in heavy winds with the other wraps in it but it flies so sweet with that 2 wrap I think I will save mine for those light wind days.
Baloo, I still don’t fly “just like John” :angry: but then again no one around here has seen John fly. :D

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#27 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 11:58 AM

I got my 2 wrap for the Sedgwick and have now had a chance to fly it in ultra light wind. Love it. :wub: It defies gravity. I would never take it out in any big wind as it feels like a spider web out there. I had people coming up to me asking how I do that with no wind. There were 2 to 3mph winds which were plenty to do anything I know how to do in any wind. I know the Rev 1 will fly in heavy winds with the other wraps in it but it flies so sweet with that 2 wrap I think I will save mine for those light wind days.
Baloo, I still don’t fly “just like John” :angry: but then again no one around here has seen John fly. :D

:lol:

Hey I just worked out that quote the msg thing. Been trying to do that for ages.

#28 Bob D

Bob D
  • Forum Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 10:19 AM

Sorry, guys! I didn't mean to be rude. I forgot the logon ID I created and never got around to checking my email history to retrieve it. Now I feel bad! My apologies for bad behavior!

I'm leaning towards the Sedgwick based on what everyone was saying. I'd like something slower and more precise. I have a friend that may be selling a std and vented Sedgwick. I'll have to try it out when the weather improves. (It's been cold, snowy, rainy, and icey.)

Thanks for all the responses. (I'll have to find out more about the different types of rods that you can use.)
Bob

#29 DWayne

DWayne

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 12:14 PM

Good to see you're alive and well and still have Revs on the brain. :P
A pair of Sedgwicks sounds like an awesome beginning. ;)

Denny

#30 Bob D

Bob D
  • Forum Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 04:01 PM

I can't believe it! I've been pinned! And I'm the new guy too! I feel like I won the lottery!

Update: I just picked up my std and vented Sedgwicks today. Beautiful kites. I got a 2 wrap in the std, a 3 wrap in the vented and a spare 4 wrap. I'm looking forward to trying them out! Thanks for all the advice!
Bob

#31 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 10:22 AM

egg-saktly wot I got Bob. Nice and crispy, postly delivered them in time for the weekend.

Winds gusting anything from 10 th 30+ish mph. Sedgwicks stayed in the bag. Vented B got plenty of exersise though.

#32 NeilW

NeilW
  • Forum Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 01:48 AM

Hiya, I have a similar dilemma, Im looking to get my first revolution and am torn between a RevI Sedgwick and RevII Barresi. With line, handles and everything else they come out at exactly the same price. The Sedgwick has a 2 and 4 wrap frame while the Barresi has a 2 and 3, so I think this gives them pretty similar wind ranges (with the RevI having a slight edge at both the upper and lower end).

A lot of people seem to really love the Barresi - could you give me some idea what it is about it that you prefer over the RevI? I've read that the RevI is more precise, so is the Barresi faster/twitchier? would this mean that it is potentially not the best kite to learn the ropes on?

Finally a lot of people have recommended trying to meet up with an existing flyer, does anyone live near to Guildford who would be willing to give me a hand setting up and getting flying once I take the plunge?

Thanks for all the helpful info on the forums!

P.S. what exactly is a 'wrap'? and how/why does it effect the wind speed you can fly in?

#33 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 05:40 AM

Rev I is referred to as "more precise" simply because of it's size... Larger kite absorbs larger inputs, but the response isn't nearly as crisp... Think road bike (cruiser), compared to a racing bike... Can't drive a road bike around corners the same way, but it sure cruises along nicely.

B-Series has more sail in the center of the kite (proportionately), which equals more sail pressure and usable power in the center of the kite, which is where all the control and drive comes from... Also, the B-Series comes pre-configured with very necessary adjustments on the handles and TWO frames (more wraps for high wind - less wraps for low wind).

I'll let everyone else comment and provide suggestions, wouldn't want to appear biased. :)

Pssst... Get a B, you won't be disappointed! :D

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#34 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 06:40 AM

Finally a lot of people have recommended trying to meet up with an existing flyer, does anyone live near to Guildford who would be willing to give me a hand setting up and getting flying once I take the plunge?

If a Rev person does live close by, I suggest that you try different ones before you buy. Although you will totally enjoy which ever one you decide on they are very different. Most of the folks I know who have a Rev or two would love to help you out and let you fly what ever they have. If your like most of us you will have several before you are done anyway. One more thought. If there are several Rev people in your area, or you plan to fly in groups, the Rev 1 will likely be the odd man out as most team stuff is done with 1.5s.

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#35 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 07:20 AM

I've read that the RevI is more precise, so is the Barresi faster/twitchier? would this mean that it is potentially not the best kite to learn the ropes on?
P.S. what exactly is a 'wrap'? and how/why does it effect the wind speed you can fly in?

Hi Neil,
I like to think of it as the Rev I is the big boy. Slower, but can be quite precise. the way John puts it is great. The Rev II on the other hand, is very fast and tends to be kind of twitchy. The rev 1.5 Barresi is in the middle of these two. It has the precision of a Rev I, and the fast crisp movements of a Rev II.

Wraps simply show the thickness, weight, and strength of the rods. A two wrap frame is very light and is good for those light wind days, but they will break if they are put into wind that is too heavy. The four wrap is heavy, but quite strong. A lot of times, people go as far as putting in two leading edges when the wind is really heavy. This not only strengthens the kite, but gives it some more weight to reduce the pull.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#36 Jynx

Jynx

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  • Location:West Allis (Milwaukee) WI ...and... New Smyrna Beach FL winters

Posted 03 May 2009 - 07:26 AM

B-Series has more sail in the center of the kite (proportionately), which equals more sail pressure and usable power in the center of the kite, which is where all the control and drive comes from... Also, the B-Series comes pre-configured with very necessary adjustments on the handles and TWO frames (more wraps for high wind - less wraps for low wind).

I'll let everyone else comment and provide suggestions, wouldn't want to appear biased. :)

Pssst... Get a B, you won't be disappointed! :D

Not biased and as a beginner... I totally agree! GET a "B"!

"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power,

then there will be peace"

Jimi Hendrix

Posted Image

#37 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 04:59 PM

Rev 1 for sure. I've only flown with the 4 wrap frame. But the 1 while being slow will help you learn all you need to know.
After flying the 1, I get on the 1.5 or B or B Pro and I'm in total control.
I learned not only how to axle with the 1, but how to pull out early leading to other things. Go to the 1.5 series and you'll do it all with speed and ease.

Dean B)

#38 Clin

Clin

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 09:35 PM

I'd wholeheartedly recommend the 1.5 or B-series. It's much more "even" feeling and feels nimble and crisp. You can get good slow precision with the 1.5 too! Overall, much more intuitive and relaxing to fly and I believe it being the most common Rev kite out there, esp if you were to meet fellow flyers for team fly.

A 2wrap Rev 1 is nice for floaty stuff in light winds. I fly my Sedgwick 1 with 4 and 2 wraps. It's got a bigger presence and more suitable for slow, graceful flying. The 1.5 is just better overall in that you can do both spectrums well.

I remembered one description of the Rev 1 being " 2 wings fighting for control" (was that from John? :P ). I agree with that. You need to keep the 2 wings in "sync" to tame the beast :blue-grin: .

Cheers
Clin

#39 LS Kite Stakes

LS Kite Stakes

Make it Custom!

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 09:52 PM

The vented Rev1 I flew at White Rock was sweet though. Steady as a rock hover, put the kite where I wanted and kept it there. I was even tapping a leading edge tip on top of a metal light pole to get peoples attention underneath, then tip standing on the pole, then flying a tight slow circle and tip landing again. Had all kinds of folk looking up and pointing, it was a blast!
LS Custom Kite Accessories

Maker of the Original Marble Kite Stake
And Revolution Snagless Pro Handles
http://www.Kitestakes.com

Posted Image

#40 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 02:42 AM

Neil..

Hello and Welcome

Personally I think the choice is B series everytime (John you have my Bank details dont you?) ... however I also think the try before you buy is sensible, and assuming you mean Guildford UK then send me a PM and we can arrange a meet up and let you try most things in the Rev range ...

There are a bunch of us 'Hampshire Hoverers' around here so a short trip up or down the A3 should get you sorted

Jonesey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users