6 replies to this topic

#1 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 11:09 AM

Lynn and I are headed for Pismo Beach this coming Sunday. On Wednesday we are going to Buellton for tha balance of the week. Looking for a place to fly in the Buellton/ Lompoc area.

Thanks, Jim
Fly together! Share the joy, Share the fun

#2 HedgeWarden

HedgeWarden

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 03:40 PM

OK, I know this thread is older than premium scotch, and no help to Jim any more...

But since the thread exists, and I've relocated from 20+ years in Lompoc, I'll add a few words.

The wind in Lompoc is a real bother (OK, I wasn't flying kites at that time) - cold, gusty, and usually 15-25 MPH in the afternoon to evening, or so it seemed. However, I wish I were there to try the beach at *Surf*. It should be about as good as it gets, at some time during most days. I used to walk the mesas or beaches of VAFB every noon for over 2 decades - usually some moderate winds. But you probably will not have access to VAFB - I was a contractor employee.

From Buellton, take hwy 246 to Lompoc, and drive straight through town until you hit the ocean. You will pass through Vandenberg AFB, the main ICBM missile test center of the world, so respect any restricted signs. Hwy 246 and the beach within a mile or so of Surf are public access. However, there may be seasonal restrictions, especially regarding the dunes areas and dogs, for the protection of the Snowy Plover. Information is clearly posted at the entrances to these areas.

In Buellton, I suppose you could try the Santa Ynez river bed. It's dry most years, and used to be accessible. (The state may have restricted access now - liability and all that cra*) Lots of hills around the Buellton area, so I don't know about wind quality.

There are lots of beaches north of VAFB, from Santa Maria up to Morro Bay and beyond. I cannot remember any inland areas with public access and long flat approaches for the wind.

Wish I were back there, to visit anyway, now that I've contracted Kite Fever.

Hopes that helps anyone passing though the area.
-Howard
No, this is my first childhood!

#3 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:07 PM

Howard

Guess what?

Lynn and I are headed through that same area again next Friday, a week from tomorrow.

We will be in Pismo Wednesday and Thursday, and may head south on Friday. May stay in Santa Maria and give the beach north of VAFB a shot.

Thanks

#4 HedgeWarden

HedgeWarden

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 04:46 PM

Howard

Guess what?

Lynn and I are headed through that same area again next Friday, a week from tomorrow.

We will be in Pismo Wednesday and Thursday, and may head south on Friday. May stay in Santa Maria and give the beach north of VAFB a shot.

Thanks

Please post what you find, Jim. :)

Pismo used to have several kite shops, from one of which I bought a Trilby. But, without help, I never learned to launch and fly it successfully for more than a few loops before crashing. (And most the loops were not intentional. :wacko: )

Having spent 1/3 my life in the area, and now infected by kites, I must return some day soon to re-explore.
-Howard
No, this is my first childhood!

#5 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 09:32 PM

Please post what you find, Jim. :)

Pismo used to have several kite shops, from one of which I bought a Trilby. But, without help, I never learned to launch and fly it successfully for more than a few loops before crashing. (And most the loops were not intentional. :wacko: )

Having spent 1/3 my life in the area, and now infected by kites, I must return some day soon to re-explore.

We spent a week and a half over Christmas at Pismo Coast Village. Lots of beach to fly on both sides of the pier. Wind is up and down this time of year. Will be there again the end of April.

#6 FLY TILL YOU DIE

FLY TILL YOU DIE

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 07:18 AM

Hi Jim & Lynn, Here's some of your neighbors you should check them out.

John

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00767 (Small).JPG
  • DSC00768 (Small).JPG

#7 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 10:16 AM

Right John. We'll have to check them out on our next trip to Pismo. Don't know for sure just when that will be, but it could be soon.

We've heard that the butterfly preserve is great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users