Returning to the Revolution

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MVS

MVS
  • Forum Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 02:31 PM

Hello, all. Long time reader, first time poster ;)

Almost 15 years ago, I had a Rev I, then purchased a Rev II as a followup. They both lasted until life got in the way, and parts were broken/lost/misplaced in a move.

Now, I want to get back into kiting, but also have my wife participate.

What's the best Rev for someone who had experience flying a Revolution, but will also be gentle enough for an absolute beginner?

I live in an area of California where afternoon wind gusts of 5-12 mph are quite common. And in 20 minutes, I could be in an area where the Santa Ana winds were clocked at 84 mph last weekend. This explains why I broke some things years ago.. a 30+ mph gust nuked my kite as it was just lifting off. It (and I) were dragged across the field.... (No, I won't be flying in those! Posted Image

-Joe

#2 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 03:17 PM

I would suggest a vented B-Series, then later a standerd B-Series. This kite has great precision, and is a great kite to fly. Plus, it is great on beginners. The winds where you are seem to be fairly heavy right?? So a vented would be more practicle at the moment. Later you should get the standard for those light wind days. ;)

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#3 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 03:43 PM

watty is right there that or a 1.5 .. and as for that rev 2 get that up and running too its a blast to fly in high winds
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#4 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 11:01 PM

I agree with my learned friends, and second the Rev 2 bit. If you still have the parts, get em fixed.

Whichever Rev you get you will have fun with. I wish I could get my Wife interested, suppose I should just be glad that she is happy that I am happy with flying.

#5 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 11:06 AM

We've got all the parts to put your Rev 1 and Rev II back together. Both of these kites are still awesome fun to fly and are capable of doing nearly everything that the other rev's can do. This is the least expensive way for you to get back into flying again. The 1.5 SLE and the B-series are pretty close to the same kite as far as size but the B-series comes with two frame sets to give the kite a larger wind range. The B-series is claimed to have a better precision and it is believed to be from the panel layout and the sail construction. Both kites are awesome to get back into flying and can be used by a beginner or the most advanced pilots.

Hope this helps.

#6 Jay Nunes

Jay Nunes

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 03:47 AM

I Still like my Standard Vented SLE.
Especially in an Area where the Big Winds are common.
The Fat Boy leading edge might be just right for your Specific situation..

Yes the Barresi Revs are Awesome and I fly them myself.
But there are times when the Wind get into the Low Teens..
Thats when my Old school Vent is just right.

My Suggestion:
Have a Fun Fly and Invite all the Rev Flyers from your Area to fly on the Home field.
Then you can Try Out the Kites and See whats best for you...
Any Exuse for a Rev Fly is a great Idea...

Jay

Kiting Tampa Bay Web Site

Kitemania

February 7-8 2014 Treasure Island Beach..
The NON_Festival weekend of flying...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users