22 replies to this topic

#21 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 05:13 PM

I think there is a whole different approach as well so I will throw it out there. End caps and bridles are not expensive and dragging a tip, throwing a turkey tail of sand and water is a ton of fun. It takes quiet a bit of dragging to get them to the point of having to be replaced. Don't get me wrong, I don't abuse the kite for the sake of abuse but if I wanted to fly in circles high in the sky I would get a cheap 2 liner. :kid_devlish:

As long as you do all of this on soft and/or smooth surfaces it will take quite a while to wear out end caps, bridles or put holes in your LE. However on rough concrete or asphalt you can wipe them out in less then 30 minutes.
There are many other things you can play with or do if you ground surface is abrasive. Play around with a soccer(foot) ball. Try pushing it landing on it using wing tip stands or the LE upside down. Then work down to small objects such as a tennis ball.
In the air there is so many things to do outside of just flying around like a cheap two liner. Try rolling from side to side like bicycle wheel but in the air. Then do something similar touch the ground with the wing tips. Try flying upwards in reverse or fly circles or rectangles in reverse.
How about tricks. Your JB's come with weights which you can use to improve axels(flat spins) and back flip landings. Your Race rods also have bit of an advantage with tricks. Watch out with back flip landings on solid surfaces. I think you could pop a down rod rather easily if you get it wrong(quite often) and the rod smacks the ground on the flip.
What I am saying is that I will fly my REV per the prevailing conditions of the ground, weather and wind.
If I have a rough abrasive surface, I stay away from ground work and do other things with my REV.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#22 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 05:24 PM

OK John,glad yr not upset.

Never was. I was just expressing my point of view and experiences.

I dont cover mine though when ther frayed now.I prevent the fraying.I do it from NEW,NEVER FLOWN.I find it helps and almost stops the fraying altogethether.I have covered them when frayed and burned them back.My first two revs i did this and it also keeps it well and like new.
It makes no diffrence to the kites flight,ya cant see it,its replaceable when or IF it also wears.

It is nice to hear you take such exceptionally good care of your REVs. I have seen to many who really don't take much care of their kites, including REVs.

prevention rather than cure :sq-thumbs:

ENOUGH SAID :)

Yep!

BRIAN...

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#23 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 10:49 PM

So you are Bad and Glad. Brian you are a poet, and dont even know it.

I have recently flamed the ends of my Revs. Looks a lot tidyer now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users