• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Thomas

Thomas
  • Forum Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 12:19 PM

Hi to you all,

I have a problem with my Rev. 1.5 exp. At the right end cap the sail fray out more and more (Please see the attached picture). How can I stop it?

Thanks,

Thomas

Attached Thumbnails

• Rev_1.5_Exp._right_end_cap__side.JPG

#2 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,448 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 12:33 PM

Hi to you all,

I have a problem with my Rev. 1.5 exp. At the right end cap the sail fray out more and more (Please see the attached picture). How can I stop it?

Thanks,

Thomas

This subject has been discussed a number of times on this forum and other forums.

This can happen to any stunt kite that that uses this type of material on the leading edge which happens to cover the majority of them.
This fraying definitely will NOT effect how your REV flies.
The main suggestion is, if needed, first cut off the excessive fraying and then use a cigarette lighter flame to seal the ends.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#3 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 01:05 PM

tape_001.jpg Thomas,to try and avoid this in future and help protect your NEW B Series[thats comeing] try some of this stuff[SPINNAKER REPAIR TAPE] .I use it on all my REVS.It wont totally iliminate it,but will help protect the leading edge when doing ground work,on sand,and stops nearly all the fraying if applied well.Its also almost unoticeable on the kite,removeable,Washable,and can be replaced with new tape without much problem.tape_002.jpg Its actually ripstop Nylon Cloth and thers enough in one pack to do Two 1.5 s full Leading edge.

The E Mail Address is
www.admiralpsp.co.uk

HOPE IT HELPS,
any problems or worrys applying the stuff,JUST ASK FOR HELP :blue_wink: Ive had alot of practice.

BRIAN...

#4 Thomas

Thomas
  • Forum Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 03:41 AM

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your help.

I have searched the web and have found a distributer in germany who sells PSP marine tapes. I think I will order a black PSP-tape.
I don't want to flame my Rev. - sorry JM - but thanks for your answer too, even this question has been discussed a lot.

Thomas

#5 Harrier

Harrier

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 05:39 AM

Thomas if you are nervous putting flames near your kites try using a small soldering iron it will tidy the sail up just fine.

#6 Aerochic

Aerochic

Revadelic

• Forum Member
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 05:51 AM

Thomas if you are nervous putting flames near your kites try using a small soldering iron it will tidy the sail up just fine.

Or heat up the flat edge of a butter knife. :)

Better Living Through Rev Flying...

Rev Themed Ts & Goodies: http://www.zazzle.co...ckarts/clothing
Aerostakes: http://www.etsy.com/shop/LeshockArts
Rev Galleries: http://www.revkites....=user&user=1408
Flickr Pics: http://www.flickr.co...s/16896184@N05/

#7 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,448 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 11:59 AM

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your help.

I have searched the web and have found a distributer in germany who sells PSP marine tapes. I think I will order a black PSP-tape.
I don't want to flame my Rev. - sorry JM - but thanks for your answer too, even this question has been discussed a lot.

Thomas

After going through over fifty REVs, I do have some experience with this.
I would not use tape on any of my REVs leading edge except maybe in the case where the leading edge is wearing from rubbing the ground. Then I would already be considering first replacing the leading edge.
Don't worry(keine angst) about flaming your REV. All you want to do is lightly melt the threads on the end of the leading edge similar what you would do to a nylon rope.
If you have a soldering iron, that would be the better way to go. If not carefully use a lighter.

International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

#8 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,448 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 12:02 PM

Or heat up the flat edge of a butter knife. :)

Use a cheap butter knife because the heat will discolor it. You could also use a spatula for plaster.

#9 Jason

Jason
  • Forum Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 12:49 PM

Hi to you all,

Thanks,

Thomas

Simply trim off the fray and place a small amount of crazy glue along the edge, I just did mine and it works great with no burning required. Be carefull to not let the opening stick together.
Jason "long may ur big jib draw"

#10 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 01:02 PM

I'd recommend the flame or glue methods myself... Flame is often better, as glue gets brittle if not applied just right. ;)

I agree with John regarding tape, it's just unnecessary besides.

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#11 nobodyspecial

nobodyspecial

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 09:45 PM

The lighter is a good bet, I have had to do it to my b series allreaedy and it is fine, though not something I like either, but it seems to be the most effective. Just a steady hand and a low to no wind enviroment would be best.

#12 Thomas

Thomas
  • Forum Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 11:30 AM

Hi,

Today I have finished the repair of my Rev.

I have trim off the fray and have used a soldering iron to seal the sail. The result looks quite good (see attached picture).

Thanks again for all your help and tips. :)

Best regards,

Thomas

Attached Thumbnails

• Rev_1.5_Exp._left_end_cap_side.JPG

#13 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,448 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 12:09 PM

Hi,

Today I have finished the repair of my Rev.

I have trim off the fray and have used a soldering iron to seal the sail. The result looks quite good (see attached picture).

Excellent!

#14 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 05:43 AM

After going through over fifty REVs, I do have some experience with this.
I would not use tape on any of my REVs leading edge except maybe in the case where the leading edge is wearing from rubbing the ground. Then I would already be considering first replacing the leading edge.
Don't worry(keine angst) about flaming your REV. All you want to do is lightly melt the threads on the end of the leading edge similar what you would do to a nylon rope.
If you have a soldering iron, that would be the better way to go. If not carefully use a lighter.

WOW John M :sq-ohno: ,I am Sorry if my efforts to help seamed contradictory to yours. :argue: was NOT my intention to be at all Derogatory ,especially towards yourself who i ,and many others have sought advice and wisdom from :ani_notworthy: . ITS ME JOHN WHOS THE OVER ZELOUS ONE,,anyone thats scene my REVS knows i cover them all.I do this as i mainly fly on SAND, and as weve both said.It avoids wear and protects the Leading edge.I havent the skill to replace a leading edge like yourself and can HIGHLY recomend the tape as a way of avoiding most of the wear the edge will get.
I didnt bother to mention the flameing of the fraying as you had explained the best method so well.WITH HIENSIGHT,perhaps i should :blushing:

PLEASE take this as my APPOLS JOHN.

BRIAN...ps, :sign_oops:

#15 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 02:49 PM

I'd recommend the flame or glue methods myself... Flame is often better, as glue gets brittle if not applied just right. ;)

I agree with John regarding tape, it's just unnecessary besides.

Mmm,
I agree John,to a point though.If this has been a topic for a while as youve said.Years infact,why is it still happening would be a reasonable question to ask.I dont think it should be necessary to Burn/Tape/Hot Knifes/an exspensive piece of equipment,but as we all agree,it is Necessary to maintain your equipment in this way or prevent it.Just a trate of the kite and Kites in general and the materials used.
I fly on a course sand and in some areas ther are shells,and other pieces of beech combers delights.Ive flown ther for a while now.I am not alone useing this method ,several of us do and find it Necessary.It was shown to me a few years ago and ive used it since.EVERY REV I OWN i cover with the tape.

I have two kites i bought at the very same time a few years ago and they both have been taped at least once.The leading edge under the tape is LIKE NEW.I doubt very much if that could be said,had the tape not been present.I consider myself fairly compitant[only fairly :) ] with a REV and i also keep my kit in very good order to the point of Obsession at times.

I was taught PREVENTION IS ALWAYS BETTER THAN CURE.Perhaps its an oldfashioned view,but i was also taught to lookafter my stuff and as a prevention i find this works in my circumstances.

Opinions.thats mine :) .

BRIAN...

#16 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,448 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 01:45 PM

WOW John M :sq-ohno: ,I am Sorry if my efforts to help seamed contradictory to yours. :argue: was NOT my intention to be at all Derogatory ,especially towards yourself who i ,and many others have sought advice and wisdom from :ani_notworthy: . ITS ME JOHN WHOS THE OVER ZELOUS ONE,,anyone thats scene my REVS knows i cover them all.I do this as i mainly fly on SAND, and as weve both said.It avoids wear and protects the Leading edge.I havent the skill to replace a leading edge like yourself and can HIGHLY recomend the tape as a way of avoiding most of the wear the edge will get.
I didnt bother to mention the flameing of the fraying as you had explained the best method so well.WITH HIENSIGHT,perhaps i should :blushing:

PLEASE take this as my APPOLS JOHN.

BRIAN...ps, :sign_oops:

Nothing to be sorry about!
Flaming the end, I found is much better then covering up the frayed section.
I see your point on covering the leading edge for protection. However, I see this would be really useful for me when I fly on rough hard surface which I try to stay away from. If I do fly there, I refrain from dragging the leading edge or tips on it as I know these surfaces will damage if not destroy the LE, end caps and bridle.
I don't really understand why you would cover the leading edge for a sandy beach whether it has lots of shells, wet or dry.
I have flown a lot on these types of beaches. I have never seen any LE wear. Maybe it has a lot to do with how I take care of my REVs at the end of the day. I like you keep my REVs in excellent shape. They are always clean as whistle and carefully rolled up. That probably comes from the cleanliness and neatness habits I inherited while living in Germany.

#17 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 02:30 PM

I think there is a whole different approach as well so I will throw it out there. End caps and bridles are not expensive and dragging a tip, throwing a turkey tail of sand and water is a ton of fun. It takes quiet a bit of dragging to get them to the point of having to be replaced. Don't get me wrong, I don't abuse the kite for the sake of abuse but if I wanted to fly in circles high in the sky I would get a cheap 2 liner. :kid_devlish:

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#18 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 02:38 PM

OK John,glad yr not upset.

I dont cover mine though when ther frayed now.I prevent the fraying.I do it from NEW,NEVER FLOWN.I find it helps and almost stops the fraying altogethether.I have covered them when frayed and burned them back.My first two revs i did this and it also keeps it well and like new.
It makes no diffrence to the kites flight,ya cant see it,its replaceable when or IF it also wears.

prevention rather than cure :sq-thumbs:

ENOUGH SAID :)

BRIAN...

#19 pudsli

pudsli

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 02:54 PM

hi all.
sorry to upset you again john,but i think you are on a hiding to nothing with big bri.
i fly regular with him, and his kite bag's (yes he has more than 1) are some of the best the world has ever seen.
and may i say he flys them as well,he has drowned a few revs in the sea.
we are talking here about someone who is dedicated to his rev flying, his kit is alway spot on.
a place for everything and everything in it's place.
this is a man who if he had to would iron the creases out of his rev's because he did not fold them to his fastidious specifacation.
all the best steve
Member of British S.T.A.C.K winter league pairs champs 2006/2007

#20 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 02:59 PM

Am i that BAD.

IM GLAD :lol: :lol: :lol:

BRIAN...