• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 macbuzz

macbuzz
  • Forum Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 08:30 AM

wow macbuzz i thought it was bad here

Antman - took me a while to work this one out.  I take it you are referring to the price of gas/petrol in NL...

:cry:

Still over in the US for 10 days starting next week - time for a dose of US culture (2* baseball, 1* football, 1* soccer).  Visit to the Alamo... all on cheap petrol!

:D
Regards,
MacBuzz

#22 nckiter

nckiter

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 09:08 AM

Frodos,
Check this web site, it may help.
www.gwtw-kites.com/extras/revs/rods.htm
Kip Clement
Apex (land of light and variable wind) NC

#23 Frodos Majik

Frodos Majik
  • Forum Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 02:31 PM

Thanks Kip

Ken

#24 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 01:26 PM

Not sure if this helps, I did a decorative venting on my RevII that had some interesting side effects. It allowed me to fly in as little as 3-5 mph winds very easily. Also added a little to the top end. Sorry not the greatest picture (cam phone) but you get the idea.

Attached Thumbnails

• 08_22_06_1748.jpg

Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#25 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 03:34 PM

it seems to be a new thing i see fliers doing.. this circle hole venting.. is it as good as the vent panels rev does ??
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#26 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 04:00 PM

it seems to be a new thing i see fliers doing.. this circle hole venting.. is it as good as the vent panels rev does ??

To be honest it seems to work a little differently as the circles somehow add lift (in my experience).

I don't know how to sew or I may have tried the traditional way of venting.

What I can say is that it flies in lighter AND heavier wind then my other RevII does. I'm looking forward to buying a Factory Vented RevII in the future to compair the 2.
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#27 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 03:11 AM

You don't need to know how to sew to add venting. It can be done quite simply with 3M 9460 double faced adhesive tape in a 1/4 inch width. (It's designed to adhere two pieces of metal together!)

Buy some black 1/2 ounce icarex or 3/4 ounce nylon to outline the venting material. Hot cut (or cold cut) the material in long strips to a half or three-quarters of an inch in width. Score the fabric in half by pinching it inbetween your fingers and pulling it over a the edge of the table or a piece of glass.

Make a paper bag template of the size and position 'em onto the sail indicating where you want to add a vent. Mark the parameter with a light pencil line. Match each side of your two wings so they are equal.

You'll edge bind the venting strips by folding over a 1/4 inch seam and sealing it with an iron, .... go slow and watch the adhesive smooth out the ripples. You'll absolutely known when it's the correct temperature, GO SLOW!

I'd line the edge binding material with the tape, expose the adhesive and carefully lay the venting onto it, sliding it into the score line, then fold over the other half and stick it down with light finger taps along the parameter.

You line the edges of your bound venting strips with another line of tape, all the way around the four sides.

Then stick it down on the BACK of the sail,
you can reposition it if you don't press down too hard, even peel the whole thing up and do it over again if necessary. The adhesive rolls off like rubber cement, it will not be permanent unless you wait 1 - 24 hours or iron it.
It's stronger than any kind of sewn seam and stronger than the fabric itself, sewing is not necessary at all.

Now's the tough part, you want some scissors that are as sharp as razors, or brand spankin' new. Little tiny blades, like for embroidery as they're easier to work with. You are going to take a straight pin and carefully slip it in-between the layers. Now open the jaws of the scissors ever so slightly and slide them into the material, next to the pin. Hold the fabric tight and the blade will effortlessly slice away the original sail revelling the venting underneath. Try to hold the scissors vertical as you move forward.

BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL, or you'll slide thru the bottom fabric layer as well as the top piece, cutting an ugly slit all the way thru, which will require a patch or a re-do of the whole thing, now slightly bigger to cover your screw-up!

Practice this action on a scrap of kite fabric. It's called applique back-cutting, a vital technique to any kite builder.

Go onto the kitebuilder.com forum and check with the "masters" about no-sew, applique and back-cutting.

The vents are all straight lines, so this isn't going to be like re-creating the space shuttle in your garage. You can do this perfectly and the first time too!
You're well on the way to being the next national champion kitebuilder and it all started with a couple of vents on a Revolution.

"NO", I won't do it for you, my plate is full already. I betcha' if you weren't in a big hurry the REV factory would do it for you also, but then you've gotta' pay two directions worth of shipping and you didn't learn anything either! At least you know it would be returned to you eventually and the workmanship & materials selected would be perfect.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users