25 replies to this topic

#21 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 02:25 PM

My style (and iQuad's) is a bit different... We always fly with our top lines extended (bottom lines shorter). ;)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#22 ian4c

ian4c

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 05:44 PM

My style (and iQuad's) is a bit different... We always fly with our top lines extended (bottom lines shorter). ;)

In my first two months of flying I just did not understand the benefit of line adjustment. Read David Hathaway's article on handles and made new pigtails with knots, And even though I read posts, I just did not get it! That is until it was explained to me by an expert Rev pilot.

And, what a difference. And what a great pleasure now. Actually I feel very strong about this, even annoyed, that when I bought my first Rev the level of instruction, although good, missed this vital information. And what about the EXP handles with a couple of 2" pieces of cord topand bottom of the handles. How can somebody new to a 4 line Rev have proper control of his new EXP in any wind over about 8mph?

Just my two pennyworth!

#23 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 12:03 AM

Agreed Ian, I'm working on getting Rev to include the information, if not the adjustable knot system, in all standard Rev kits.

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#24 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 12:13 AM

Hello Ian,,,CHILLL :blue_smile: .

ITS ALL ONE BIG LEARNING CURVE my Freind and its great to see your learning.

BRIAN...
ps,ile try and send my new vid again later.

#25 Mike

Mike

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 01:29 PM

... And what about the EXP handles with a couple of 2" pieces of cord topand bottom of the handles.

When I'm helping beginners on their EXP, I usually tie a knot right at the base of their bottom pigtail. If you attach the flying line right there, it works well. Anyone reading this and owning an EXP, give it a try, you'll like it!
Mike Kory:
Posted Image and Posted Image

#26 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 01:47 PM

You all are so lucky having this REV forum!

I really wish I had had all of this help and information when I was learning to fly my REV I back in 1991.
All I had was the REV video which was in NTSC(USA) format which I saw only once in the USA before returned to my home in Germany. There we had PAL(EUR) format for our televisions. Video recorder with PAL and NTSC format at that time ran several thousands of dollars.
I also did not have anyone around me to teach me how a REV is flown. At that time we only had the news group rec.kites, which still exists. Hardly anyone had ever flown a REV.
It was rough going until I spent a week on vacation in the Canary Island with my girl friend. We both learned how to fly the REV in nice smooth winds.
Years later when I finally flew REVS with Joe Hadzicki he remarked how differently I flew the REV from others. As he had said, I had developed my own style.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users