25 replies to this topic

#1 dave b

dave b

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 11:46 AM

Was flying my REV1 Sedgwick yesterday for a few hours on the beach, totally love the kite but one thing i have a problem with is the dive/stop. As the kite gets about 1/2 way down the dive it will often veer off to the left or right, the lines will go slack & the kite falls out of the sky. Don't have this problem with any of my other rev's only the rev1.

Any ideas!

Thanks'
Dave.

#2 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,409 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 12:28 PM

Was flying my REV1 Sedgwick yesterday for a few hours on the beach, totally love the kite but one thing i have a problem with is the dive/stop. As the kite gets about 1/2 way down the dive it will often veer off to the left or right, the lines will go slack & the kite falls out of the sky. Don't have this problem with any of my other rev's only the rev1.

Any ideas!

Thanks'
Dave.

The REV I Sedgewick is definately a good flying REV I. If it was not, it would not carry the Lee Sedgewick signature.

Did you try your other REVs at the same place at the same time?

I have never experienced anything so dead hard as that and I do fly REV I Sedgwick very often including back flip landings. The closest thing I could guess is that the wind was dead at that area of the window. A flat area upon the top of a cliff with the wind coming from the cliff could cause something similar or even a large object in the path from the wind. Try flying it on very open flying area with no objects in the winds path for a long way.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#3 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 09:30 AM

Try a little more break, I've not had a lot or time with my Rev 1 but I find it needs more break than my 1.5s. It may be gravity is bringing the kite down to fast, rather than allowing the wind drive it down.
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#4 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 11:07 AM

I would agree with John, has to be the wind conditions. On a dive stop you usually have gravity working with you as the kite goes down towards the ground. There should be no reason at all why the kite would veer to one side or the other or for the lines to go slack unless you had some kind of swirling wind that was pushing the kite towards you (or to one side) as it went down.

Were you flying in steady winds, stronger winds or super light winds? I have found that if you walk backwards quickly during a dive stop that you get a faster and more pronounced dive stop. This may also help with more forward drive of the kite in less-than-desirable wind conditions.

I would try moving to another area and see if it still happens. Sometimes moving just 30-40 feet one way or the other will fix the problem. The Sedgwick is a great kite and I am sure it is not the kite that is at fault. If it was then the kite would react erratic all the time, not just during one maneuver.

Hope this helps. Let us know what you find out.

#5 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 11:24 AM

Just a thought,but would how the kite was spared up make any diffrence.I think Daves Sedgewick is the same as mine and has three wrap in it[rev equipped].I find that after around 6 or 7 mph.The kite doesnt like the dive stop to be to agressive.I wont fly the kite after 9 or 10 mph,[i have the vented Sedgewick]
Ther is something in the idea Kent has in the movement of the person.Walking toward or away as the move is performed.Reduce or increase sail presure[wind]
Good idea i reckon Kent.I shall try the next time me and the Sedgewick Fly.

BRIAN...

#6 dave b

dave b

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 01:23 PM

Thanks for the advice, will try Kents suggestion about walking backwards to give more sail pressure.

Thanks,
Dave.

#7 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,409 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 01:32 PM

Thanks for the advice, will try Kents suggestion about walking backwards to give more sail pressure.

Thanks,
Dave.

If you don't have enough wind in the sail, you will have to create it by moving physically backwards.
Anyone who has seen me fly a REV, will have noticed that I am constantly moving to smooth out the speed of the REV.
When doing tricks with a REV, you also have to move rapidly, if you want to do the trick reasonably.

International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

#8 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 02:09 PM

Me to John,my Mrs says i can dance quite well with a Rev[kite] :mf_party:

I was trying to master the ELAVATOR[Reid designs stack figures].First reverse inverted up to the top of the centre of the window and then back down.Trying to keep the kite steady and level[DIFFICULT].
In a light wind[3-5mph]the Sedgewick was nice,very nice and at times when the wind dropped i had to walk Backwards a few steps to maintain the presure.
A few day later with the same kite in the same place,but in a good 8-10mph i had to walk steadily forwards so to ease the sail presure and to get a reasonable result.
The kite veard off if i didnt walk or ease the presure.

Hey,still no good at it though :rolleyes: ,but getting ther

BRIAN...

#9 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,409 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 02:46 PM

Me to John,my Mrs says i can dance quite well with a Rev[kite] :mf_party:

otherwise not at all or ?

I was trying to master the ELAVATOR[Reid designs stack figures].First reverse inverted up to the top of the centre of the window and then back down.Trying to keep the kite steady and level[DIFFICULT].

I designed that compulsory along with several others.
If you see a shaded JNM in the lower right corner, I am the guilty one.

In a light wind[3-5mph]the Sedgewick was nice,very nice and at times when the wind dropped i had to walk Backwards a few steps to maintain the presure.
A few day later with the same kite in the same place,but in a good 8-10mph i had to walk steadily forwards so to ease the sail presure and to get a reasonable result.
The kite veard off if i didnt walk or ease the presure.

Hey,still no good at it though :rolleyes: ,but getting ther

BRIAN...

Try all the ISK(sometimes called IRBC) multi line compulsories. They are all possible and really not that difficult. They just look difficult. The problem is to fly them precisely and score good points at a competition. If you have a problem with a particular compulsory, take the element of that compulsory you are have trouble with and work only on that element until you have it down pat. Then work on the other elements and finally the whole compulsory.
If you have questions concerning the ISK compulsories book, you may consult me or anyone else on the IRBC. I probably know the ISK books the best as I was the person who reworked, with the approval of the IRBC, all version since 2004.
ISK means International Sport Kite.
IRBC means International Rules Book Committee.
There are three books from the IRBC. They are:
- ISK Rules Book
- ISK Judges' Book
- ISK Compulsories Book
These are the documents recognized for competitive flying by the primary kiting associations AJSKA(Japan), AKA(N.America) and STACK(Europe).

#10 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 03:49 PM

I had sorta figured you wear the Guilty :) Party John.For a large part of the material.I am growing to Love and Hate the stuff all at the same time :wub: :angry:

No, normally i dont dance[SOBER anyways],

I knew you had alot of involvement with Stack Europe John and beyond,and i hope my earlier post wasnt patroniseing or trying to teach anyone how to suck eggs.Just thought it may help the original poster see the movement aspect and why.

Thanks for offering your Help and advice on the Comp/ISK stuff John.

Cheers

BRIAN...

#11 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 08:30 AM

Dave B... Try more brake on the Sedgwick (i.e. extend your top lines a little bit at a time, until the problem goes away).

You'll need to be smoother and more subtle with your reverse input once you make this adjustment, but you WILL find improvement. ;)

FYI, I am responsible for some of the new compulsories as well (note the "JB" on the reverse octagon)... Sorry, but they are very possible with practice! :)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#12 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,409 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 09:06 AM

FYI, I am responsible for some of the new compulsories as well (note the "JB" on the reverse octagon)... Sorry, but they are very possible with practice! :)

And that is not the only compulsory he is guilty of!

Actually the IRBC gave John and I the job of cleaning up, deleting and adding the multi line compulsories. The characters in the lower right corner are the initials of the one who submitted the idea of the compulsory. John and I took it from there, redrew the figures, created the text and etc. We then submitted our work to the rest of the IRBC for their critique. There definitely was some, in particular from AJSKA(Japan). It took us around 8 months to complete the revised Compulsories book including the approvals from AJSKA, AKA and STACK.

#13 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 10:02 AM

However do you guys have time to PRACTICE or just Fly a kite :)

BRIAN...

#14 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,409 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 10:32 AM

However do you guys have time to PRACTICE or just Fly a kite :)

BRIAN...

IRBC work is down now after we finally cleaned up all the books. We now have time to practice and fly a bit more.

#15 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 10:36 AM

Practice? What's that?

I never practice, but I do fly at events almost every weekend. <grin>

John Barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#16 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 11:40 AM

Practice? What's that?

I never practice, but I do fly at events almost every weekend. <grin>

It's a hard life then?
Stone in Shoe Bob

#17 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 01:55 PM

It's a dog's life, and I'm wearing milk bone underwear. ;)

John Barresi

#18 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 09:51 PM

"milk bone underwear." ?
Sorry you've lost me, is that some S&M thing or are we back in the "what's a jumper" / “two countries divided by a common language” territory?
Stone in Shoe Bob

#19 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 05:30 AM

Any ideas!

Thanks'
Dave.

When I first flew my Sedgwick the same thing happen. I thought I was nuts :kid_drool: . The kite would actually come toward me when I did a dive I would end up with slack lines. I must agree with Stone in Shoe Bob's idea of adjusting the lines. As I the day went on, I adjusted lines and that were set for the 1.5s and the problem was gone and the kite became rock solid :kid_smartass: .

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#20 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,409 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 08:58 AM

When I first flew my Sedgwick the same thing happen. I thought I was nuts :kid_drool: . The kite would actually come toward me when I did a dive I would end up with slack lines. I must agree with Stone in Shoe Bob's idea of adjusting the lines. As I the day went on, I adjusted lines and that were set for the 1.5s and the problem was gone and the kite became rock solid :kid_smartass: .

Sorry guys, I did not think to tell you that as I automatically, without thinking extra about it, adjust my lines each time I change to a different REV. Even REV 1.5s need the adjustment from version to version. example: SUL to vented
I also adjust lines for the type of flying I want to do. If I want to work on tricks I like to shorten the lower lines. If I want to fly precision figures, the lower lines will be longer then for tricks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users