Photo

On the subject of Rods / Spars that are bent.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ian4c

ian4c

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 12:07 PM

On the subject of Spars / Rods. I broke one of mine a couple of days ago. Last night I decided to open a new Professional pack that came with my recent new 1.5 B.

I immediately noticed that one of the rods had a bend in it and on further checking another had a bend. So then I checked a new pack of Ultra Light that came with my new 1.5 B Vented. And one of these has a bend.

My question to the pros. Are all rods supposed to be straight? Or more or less? If one or two have a bend can this have any effect on the flight of the kite?

If I run the rods along a plate glass table or level floor the straight rods will roll. The rods with a bend won't roll.

If a rod is placed on a flat surface and held down on middle of one side, how much gap from the surface to rod on the other end would be acceptable. Straight 1.5 rods show little or nothing.

#2 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 12:20 PM

On the subject of Spars / Rods. I broke one of mine a couple of days ago. Last night I decided to open a new Professional pack that came with my recent new 1.5 B.

I immediately noticed that one of the rods had a bend in it and on further checking another had a bend. So then I checked a new pack of Ultra Light that came with my new 1.5 B Vented. And one of these has a bend.

My question to the pros. Are all rods supposed to be straight? Or more or less? If one or two have a bend can this have any effect on the flight of the kite?

If I run the rods along a plate glass table or level floor the straight rods will roll. The rods with a bend won't roll.

If a rod is placed on a flat surface and held down on middle of one side, how much gap from the surface to rod on the other end would be acceptable. Straight 1.5 rods show little or nothing.

My rods date back 16 years, going to date. I would say about 50% of my "Professional Only" rods have a minor(1-2mm) bend in them. It is less noticeable as the rods get thicker, meaning 3 and 4 wrap rods. I do believe that they get this bend in the curing process where they are heated in an oven type device.
Personally the slight bend really does not matter to me, nor do I think it has ever had any effect upon how the REV flies for me.
In theory I would presume they could sell only perfectly straight rods, however I suspect it would dramatically increase the costs.
That is my personal opinion.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#3 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 12:30 PM

I've never checked the straightness of my spars since we're dealing with a variable wing in the Rev, I'd say its never really been of any concern to me.

But as JM mentioned, I would assume cost has a great deal to do with it... If they start tossing out those rods with a variance, that cost has to come back to the customers.

I have checked the spars in my dual line kites though (rigid structure and airfoil - in theory), going so far as to align the curve a certain way with the kite.

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#4 ian4c

ian4c

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 12:59 PM

I've never checked the straightness of my spars since we're dealing with a variable wing in the Rev, I'd say its never really been of any concern to me.

But as JM mentioned, I would assume cost has a great deal to do with it... If they start tossing out those rods with a variance, that cost has to come back to the customers.

I have checked the spars in my dual line kites though (rigid structure and airfoil - in theory), going so far as to align the curve a certain way with the kite.

Well JB and Jm. That's good enought for me. Damm, I won't be able to blame the spars in future!

#5 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 01:47 PM

Even more bad News for your Flying Ian.I have some P200 & 400 BLEMS.These are rods that are not Cosmetically perfect and some do have a slight turn or curve.I bought them for a project a few years ago as BLEMS.Blems means ther not perfect or for Retail use.I know they arent the spar in question,but seems to prove the bend theory isnt much of a problem if any.

NEVER HAD A MOMENTS WORRY WITH THEM :P :lol:

BRIAN...

#6 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 02:40 PM

I have noticed bends in my old Skinny Rev Indoor rods, as well as some of my Race rods. They don't seem to affect my kite at all, so I just don't worry about it.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users