28 replies to this topic

#1 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 07:21 AM

I would like to learn to fly one handed. I donít need to do tricks or be a champ at it. I want to be able to hold a position with one hand long enough to take a picture with the other. I have extra handles right here by the computer so I can try what ever you one handed flyers can share with me. Right now I havenít a clue. :confused!: I can not move them in different directions while holding them in one hand. :confused!: HELP! :confused!:

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#2 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 08:20 AM

Think chopsticks, sort of.

Index and middle fingers hold most of the pull, around the top of both handles...

Then I use my ring finger and pinky in-between the two handles, to keep them independent.

==

SL270353.JPG SL270354.JPG

==

Using my left hand:

Basically, I fly the right handle with my thumb, plus the ends of index and middle fingers.

The left handle is controlled using the main body of my hand, with the pinky and ring fingers.

Should have a decent amount of brake in your tuning, so turns are quicker and easier.

==

Using this method in decent winds, I can perform 1/4 clockwork, side slides, bicycle rotations and much more.

It takes some getting used to, but do not get discouraged! The biggest problem will be the tendency to drop one of your handles.

Hovering is the easiest part to do.

I hope that helps! ;)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#3 nobodyspecial

nobodyspecial

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 09:07 AM

kewl, thanks for the info John, looks like there might be a challange for smaller hands.. something else to try and learn.

#4 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 09:19 AM

OOooo, I think I see what was going wrong. I kept ending up with all my fingers over the left handle. I see when I keep it to 2 I have much more individual movement. It works in the living room which is a step up. I canít wait to try it with the kites. Thanks John.
Once I get it down, I have to learn to take a picture with my left hand. The button is on the wrong side.

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#5 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 09:24 AM

Odd thing is, I'm right handed... But can only fly Revs one-handed with my left. :wacko:

John Barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#6 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,409 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 09:32 AM

Think chopsticks, sort of.

Index and middle fingers hold most of the pull, around the top of both handles...
snip...

I hope that helps! ;)

Definitely a better technique then I have been using over the years.
I will try changing my technique right away.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#7 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 09:37 AM

Odd thing is, I'm right handed... But can only fly Revs one-handed with my left. :wacko:

Sence I am just learning it I will try to learn it lefty.

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#8 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 10:08 AM

my coach demanded I learn my weaker hand first,... been doing it now for like three years.

I place both handles directly next to each other, balanced across on my index finger.

I rotate my thumb from one handle to the other, to effect changes.

Like johnny B said,
a big dose of "down" in the tuning, so movements are small and crisp (the long throw handles really help with one-handing it)

Time to address all those snag-points on your handles, the metal triangles, the extra knots on the top leaders, even if the leaders are too thick. Everything is magnified when using only one hand.

Jeff Burka can fly one handed with either of his two hands and NOT LOOK AT THE KITE while he talks to you!

The first trick is always the hardest,... don't imagine you are flying one handed. Instead do a "toss" with shorter lines, notice how both handles are already in one hand? Probably your weaker hand too. At the end of the toss, just leave the handles in that one hand and hold the toss inverted & rock steady. now slowly walk backwards as you point the handles at the kite. Just a slight change in orientation is all that's necessary to backup inverted. This looks way cool in flight. You are jackin'-around doing your slack line crap, then jerk the kite out of the sky with a catch, then begin flying one handed after the throw.

I used to compete in experienced multi-line as a soul flier and loved it. One day a judge told me I had to move up, 'cause if you're flying one-handed in competitions you are a certainly master material! That was a sad day for me, everybody is really good in that group!

#9 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 10:36 AM

Due respect to different styles, but I find the longer handles more difficult as they require more leverage to operate in moderate to high winds.

If you apply enough brake, the longer handles aren't necessary... Although there are those that prefer them.

John Barresi

#10 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 03:29 AM

Agreed John,
We REV fliers outside of the Washington DC Metro area so seldom have middle or high wind speeds that I find using my regular length handles pretty much resigned to team flying at the beach. We only can use long lines locally on rare occasions. I generally teach lessons on 50 to 65 feet of length. So many folks want to squeeze the handles, that limits sensitivity. I try to get them to gently hold 'em, almost to the point where a stiff breeze will rip them from their grip.

Have you'll seen Steve Santos fly one-handed?, he coordinates both of the grips by manipulating his entire hand. It looks uncomfortable, but obviously he has mastered it 'cause he can fly 2 Decas at the same time INDOORS with great control!

The technique is less important than the practice necessary to master the effects and there's no correct single answer to the challenge either.

#11 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 09:07 AM

Santos is AWESOME with those Decas indoors... Saw that in Ocean City, the year he went out of bounds. :(

The technique is less important than the practice necessary to master the effects and there's no correct single answer to the challenge either.

Indeed... Ever watch a a whole bunch of people using chopsticks? 1/2 of 'em are holding them differently. ;)

John Barresi

#12 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 07:07 PM

I tried using your method of one-handed flying today John B. It works quite well indoors! I was amazed at the thigs I was actually still able to do!

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#13 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 07:13 PM

Without fail, it's been much easier for me to hold an inverted hover indoors with one hand as opposed to using two hands.

I think it has to do with the handles staying side by side, and using smaller movements.

Certainly, the Indoor Rev does not respond well to pulling with R or L, even less than with the outdoor versions.

One of my favorite tricks is to fly the kite in reverse, start an up and over (flying backwards), then jog around the room while keeping the kite overhead, still in reverse.

I also use a 6" to 7" extension on the top lines of my Indoor Rev... WAY more reverse than anyone I know, but I find the flatter sail generated way more lift (less work) once I got used to it.

John Barresi

#14 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 07:20 PM

I learned a couple thigs today for indoors today too. I was able to bounce the corner of the V on the botton of the kite off my forehead, then let it go back out and continue flying, and I played around with floating and ground pancakes a lot.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#15 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 02:46 PM

it is pretty tough to learn and will kill your wrist by the the end of the day but it does drawl a crowd
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#16 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 12:41 AM

How kewl is the one handed malarky,Tried it for five mins and after a little while started to get it quite OKish.

Cheers for the chopsticks tip John,

BRIAN...

#17 Wobbly

Wobbly

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:23 AM

As with most thing's involving a Rev there is more than one way to do anything, this method is particuarly useful if you want to warm a hand up in your pocket, also comes in handy if you want a bite to eat or drink a cup of coffee

kites_20013.jpg

#18 Aerochic

Aerochic

Revadelic

• Forum Member
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 04:00 PM

Ha! I'll have to try that with my camera! :clap;

Better Living Through Rev Flying...

Rev Themed Ts & Goodies: http://www.zazzle.co...ckarts/clothing
Aerostakes: http://www.etsy.com/shop/LeshockArts
Rev Galleries: http://www.revkites....=user&user=1408
Flickr Pics: http://www.flickr.co...s/16896184@N05/

#19 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 05:31 PM

Ha, that's really funny Wobbly... :D

I've done the same thing, standing on one of my handles, or holding one in my teeth. <grin>

John Barresi

#20 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 05:50 PM

As with most thing's involving a Rev there is more than one way to do anything, this method is particuarly useful if you want to warm a hand up in your pocket, also comes in handy if you want a bite to eat or drink a cup of coffee

kites_20013.jpg

Looks like you've got your brake setting just perfect ... the handle balances about where your index finger would end up.

Cheers,
Tom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users