Tensioning the sail

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jason

Jason
  • Forum Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 03:18 AM

At what point is the sail too taught for the B-series. I was trying to fly inverted and had problems so I let out on the top lines and put on more brake... a little difficult to get off the ground in light wing. Then I tightened my bunjies on the vertical.

There was another guy flying a B-series inverted no prob near my location. I did notice he had a nicer billow in his sail than me, maybe i have it too tight??????

Any help guys with this?? Thanks
Jason "long may ur big jib draw"

#2 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 03:29 AM

do you similar skills?

same handle set-up, frames, kite models?

did you swap kites & compare the two?

I prefer a tight sail and generally fly in the land of no-wind. The Rev indoor has a pretty tight sail, so I don't think that's the only difference. On kites we build ourselves we add belt-loops to prevent the frame from moving around on the back of the sail.

The important part of sail tensioning is to insure you don't push the vertical endcaps UP above the leading edge when tightening the bottom elastics. That's a sure tangle point when doing slack line tricks. On our low wind mods we replace the elastic entirely and tie the cap directly to the leading edge so it can't move with hi-test bridle line.

#3 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 07:08 AM

Also, the other Rev you saw may have a few more hours on it... Revs tend to gain a little bit of billow once they're broken in. :)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#4 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 09:08 AM

On our low wind mods we replace the elastic entirely and tie the cap directly to the leading edge so it can't move with hi-test bridle line.

I did the same thing some time ago on my full sail 1.5. I did it to make life easier when Lynn and I are flying together and I want to pass through her lines. I don't have to worry about the upper caps getting caught on her lines. Note...You may want to be careful not to land right side up too hard as there is no longer any give to take up the shock. Might brake a spar. Other than that, everything works just fine.

Jim
Fly together! Share the joy, Share the fun

#5 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 10:30 AM

On our low wind mods we replace the elastic entirely and tie the cap directly to the leading edge so it can't move with hi-test bridle line.

While this works fine in low winds, I would not really recommend it, over time, for higher winds. What happens is that it will cause the sail to stretch earlier and more due to the fact that the bungee(shock cord) has been replaced by a non-stretching connection.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#6 mdilucca

mdilucca

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 11:23 AM

Hey Jason, I'll be glad to let you try my BS' next time at Clover Point! It was really nice meeting you the other day. One more rev flier in Victoria, yeah!!!

Cheers
Mario

Cheers

Mario

Island_quad_logoSmall_50_zps817bf301.jpg

#7 Jason

Jason
  • Forum Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 03:16 PM

do you similar skills?

same handle set-up, frames, kite models?

did you swap kites & compare the two?

I prefer a tight sail and generally fly in the land of no-wind. The Rev indoor has a pretty tight sail, so I don't think that's the only difference. On kites we build ourselves we add belt-loops to prevent the frame from moving around on the back of the sail.

The important part of sail tensioning is to insure you don't push the vertical endcaps UP above the leading edge when tightening the bottom elastics. That's a sure tangle point when doing slack line tricks. On our low wind mods we replace the elastic entirely and tie the cap directly to the leading edge so it can't move with hi-test bridle line.

Probably not the same skill level, but we both had tha b-series rev. I would assume he had the 2-wraps in since the wind was fairly light.

#8 Jason

Jason
  • Forum Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 03:26 PM

Hey Jason, I'll be glad to let you try my BS' next time at Clover Point! It was really nice meeting you the other day. One more rev flier in Victoria, yeah!!!

Cheers
Mario

Sounds great Mario, I am at sea right now, back on Friday(hopefully see you at Clover Point this weekend), and leave for another trip down to San Diego till the third week in November.

Jason

#9 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 03:34 PM

Also, the other Rev you saw may have a few more hours on it... Revs tend to gain a little bit of billow once they're broken in. :)

In other words, they tend to swell a bit when thoroughly spanked lol :kid_smartass:
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users