#1 Heino

Heino

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 02:46 AM

hey

i have just got my b-series ventet and waiting for the standard to arraive..

Bu my qustion is wath lines shall i have so i am covered i differed winds.. for a beginer.

is a thinking about lenght and weight for bouth model.. hop you will help me

Heino Poulsen
Aarre, Denmark

#2 Mike

Mike

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 04:07 AM

I use 90# (90 pound) line in all wind conditions. Light winds up to 30 mph.
Length is a personal preference. The most common lengths are between 75 feet and 85 feet.

Make sure you get high quality line. In the U.S., that would be Laser Pro Gold or Shanti. I prefer Laser Pro Gold.
Mike Kory:
Posted Image and Posted Image

#3 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 06:22 AM

I use 50# for indoors and under 2 mph, 90# for 3 mph to 30 mph, and if I found wind any higher than that then I would use 150#, but that has never happened. Line length is just what you like. I fly with anywhere from 30ft to 120ft. The shorter lines are quicker, and easier to set up and allow you to do some 3D flying. The longer lines slow down the kite, but take longer to set up. Any set of lines have their pro's and cons, it's just what you like.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#4 Heino

Heino

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 08:34 AM

wath will be a good lenght to learn on.

Heino Poulsen
Aarre, Denmark

#5 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 08:48 AM

For learning I would suggest something in the 75 to 100 foot lenghts. Shorter lines will speed the kite up quite a bit and can be a little more difficult to learn with although shorter lines do bring the kite a lot closer to you so you can see a bit more of what the kite is doing.

I have taught tons of new pilots on the standard Rev line length (85 foot) and have never had a problem.

#6 Fraser

Fraser

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 09:55 AM

The B-Series kites come with lines, don't they? Mine did - was that just the store doing it?

Anyway - I got 85', 90lb Laser Pro Gold (Ithink) and as a beginner haven't used anything else yet. I have often thought that longer lines would help by giving more time and space to do things, but I reckon it's better to learn on the 85s first.

Heino - 85' is about 25m, and 90lb is around 40kg.

But don't worry too much about getting a particular thing - just make sure they're reasonable quality and go for it. Get some experience of your kite for a little while and THEN start choosing more specific lines - the good stuff is expensive and you don't want to make mistakes. A day's practice will be worth ANY difference in a line set while you're new to it - that's what I'm finding anyway.

Fraser

#7 kitedog

kitedog
  • Forum Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 05:51 PM

Please take my advice with a grain of salt. I am a beginning flyer but these are my experiences.

Equipment does make a difference. I use Laser Pro Gold 90# in different lengths.

IMO the higher quality lines handle a lot smoother with multiple wraps. I would spend an extra couple of dollars on the better stuff vs lower end lines. I fly laser pro gold by default not because I have any true preference or have any knowledge on any of the other better lines, ie. Shanti. It was the stuff my kite store carries and what people said was the good line. I have flown on low end lines and after a wrap or two the line friction increases a great deal. The other problem and proabably more significant is line stretch. The laser pro gold stretches very little.

In the beginning I used 85' to 90' lines and still use it on occasion. I like it and it does fine. This does make the kite move a little faster. Any inputs also happen a little quicker, or at least it seems that way. It also decreases the size of your wind window.

I started using 120' lines, just because that is what iQuad uses. And I hope someday to do some mega team flying with them. I enjoy the 120s a lot more. It slows the kite down giving me more time to make decisions. It also inceases the size of the wind window so I can fly farther left and right which I really like to do.

The down side to using longer lines: The cost is a little more. You need bigger fields. Adds more overall weight and drag, in light winds, with my flying skills, it makes it a little tougher to fly. When a line breaks, other than it really sucks, you no longer have long lines (back to statement #1 it cost more to replace). The cool part about broken lines, depending where it broke, you can have 2 sets of shorter lines or one set of slightly shorter lines. One line of my duaghter's rev broke about 8 inches from the bridle. We cut and retied all of the lines now her lines are about 120', I actually made this set at 121'.

I also have some indoor revs that I us really short lines 10' to 15'. I have used these lines outdoors on my 1.5s in 0-1mile hour winds. They are lots of fun to fly.

I would also encourage you to learn to make your own line sets. It is a little more trouble, there is a little bit of cost savings, but the best part is you can fix most line problems. I thought it would be hard to make your own line sets but it is really easy. Theresa at The Kite Shoppe taught me how and on her internet site/forum she has some really easy to understand instructions. Another place to get some really good DIY info is at Kitebuilder.com, they also have instructions and theories for making your own line sets.

This is a really long answer to a very simple question. :blue-confused:

Simple answer 85'-120' 90# laser pro gold.

Arns

#8 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 10:03 AM

Very nicely put Kitedog. :sign_kitelife:

#9 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 10:09 AM

The B-Series kites come with lines, don't they? Mine did - was that just the store doing it?

The B-Series doesn't normally come with lines.

Spence "Watty" Watson

#10 Fraser

Fraser

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 11:01 AM

I've just checked back and you're quite right of course, Watty - I don't know what I was thinking. I had to buy the lines at the same time. Doh!

(I must be losing my mind...! :confused!: )

Whatever - they are genuine Revolution lines apparently - which I believe means LPG.

#11 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 11:22 AM

(I must be losing my mind...! )

Glad you said it not me Fraser :kid_devlish:

#12 Heino

Heino

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 01:05 PM

Thanks a lot.. i will see if a can find a kite shop near denmark there sell laser pro gold..

do you know any in europe..?

Heino Poulsen
Aarre, Denmark

#13 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,410 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 02:37 PM

Thanks a lot.. i will see if a can find a kite shop near denmark there sell laser pro gold..

do you know any in europe..?

There was, maybe still is, a shop on the island of Fano. They might have them.
Copenhagen had a shop at one time, no idea if it is still there.
There are still quite a number of kite shops in the EU. Some of them definitely carry laser pro.
One shop I dealt with that I like is Chillout in Augsburg, Germany. They carry Laser Pro.
In the case you don't speak German, their English is excellent.
Goto: http://webshop.chill...md=39337.696181

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#14 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 09:54 PM

Anyone any idea where I might find LPG in the UK in bulk, not BIG bulk, just enough to make a few sets up. Asked around at a couple of festivals and ended up with Climax. Not bad stuff, just dont FEEL as good as LPG!!!!!!

Thanks, Chris.

#15 djinnzfree

djinnzfree
  • Forum Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 01:32 AM

my STD b-series comes with line 90lbs-80'
looking for a vented one don't have line & handle = lower cost than a STD

:blue_wink:
°°°have you hugged your kite today?°°°

#16 Fraser

Fraser

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 01:46 AM

Anyone any idea where I might find LPG in the UK in bulk, not BIG bulk, just enough to make a few sets up. Asked around at a couple of festivals and ended up with Climax. Not bad stuff, just dont FEEL as good as LPG!!!!!!

Thanks, Chris.

Ahh, that's interesting Chris. I've been keenly following the 'lines' discussions in here but frankly - and especially as a newbie - I'm not really any the wiser. LPG v Shanti v Climax, etc etc. - all of them 'good in parts' it seems. I still firmly believe that at the very beginning of one's Rev experience, the differences will be small, but at the same time it's good to hear of some clear preferences.

It's all a bit of a 'black art' in some ways. I bought a standard B-Series a little while after the vented arrived. Same lines, handles, everything. But the lines that came with the standard, whilst clearly identical to those which I already had (visually indistinguishable, same winder, same lables, same sleeving), are much 'stickier' in use. Bizarrely, doesn't seem to have any effect on the kite's flying, but it feels TOTALLY different, and 'creaks' like a rusty door hinge all the time when the lines are twisted round each other! Mental!

Like you. I would be very interested to find where I could buy some really good stuff in some quantity (whatever the brand) so I could experiment with different line lengths without paying 50 or 60 quid a set.

#17 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 06:55 AM

When in doubt, call The Kite Shoppe. They aren't in the UK, but will give you better customer service than any other place in the world. I too need to get some bulk to make line sets, but I've got other things I need to take care of first.

Spence "Watty" Watson

#18 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 09:13 AM

I agree with you about Thekiteshoppe Watty. I have bought a few sets of lines from Theresa and she "ties a good set" no argument with that. If I have an order that is OK otherwise the postage makes it VRY expensive.

My main reason for asking is that I bought some Climax Protec, it is orange in colour and I think it is supposed to be top of the line from them.

Somehow it just seems to twist on itself more than the LPG. Only when it is slack mind. Which can be a bit of a pain when setting out or packing away. Otherwise in flight the FEEL OK. Main problem with them was when I got a bit of a tangle I KNOW I SHOULDNT GET TANGLED. Took MUCH longer to sort it out then a similar thing with LPG.

#19 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,410 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 12:33 PM

I agree with you about Thekiteshoppe Watty. I have bought a few sets of lines from Theresa and she "ties a good set" no argument with that. If I have an order that is OK otherwise the postage makes it VRY expensive.

My main reason for asking is that I bought some Climax Protec, it is orange in colour and I think it is supposed to be top of the line from them.

Somehow it just seems to twist on itself more than the LPG. Only when it is slack mind. Which can be a bit of a pain when setting out or packing away. Otherwise in flight the FEEL OK. Main problem with them was when I got a bit of a tangle I KNOW I SHOULDNT GET TANGLED. Took MUCH longer to sort it out then a similar thing with LPG.

All of my quad lines sets are Shanti and have been since 1992. I have also used Laser Pro. I think both are very fine lines,
I can't really say anything good about Climax. They gave me some 90/100# line years ago. When I went to stretch it by pulling on it, it snapped. I landed hard on my butt. I never had this happen with the same rated Shanti pulling considerably more. I gave the line back to them.

Line getting twists in it is not a characteristic I have ever had with Shanti lines nor heard of with Laser Pro or Shanti. I have seen this characteristic very strongly with both Nylon and Kevlar on single line kites. For trains of single line kites this can be a real problem.
If I had this with my quad lines, I would really be upset.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#20 Heino

Heino

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 01:13 PM

I mail chill out today a got the anser that they bot get laser pro lines any more, because they only makes fishing line now.. that was that was the aswer from them...

is there a shop in great brithen there i can ordre them in metes.. so i can make my own set's

today i flying op climax yellow lines.. a coupen of turns and they are very hard to control the kite i think..

tiered of having a great kite and some crappy lines.. B)

Heino Poulsen
Aarre, Denmark

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users