Rod Snapped

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Craig

Craig
  • Forum Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 05:07 PM

I bought a Rev 1.5 SLE at the LongBeach Kite Festival last month.

On my fourth flight my horizonal rod snapped about 6 inches from the left edge.

Needless to say I am disappointed. The kite hit the ground a few times do to my newbie flying but nothing out of the normal. Does this sound like a faulty piece or is their something I could have did? I am fairly sure it did not hit any objects like rocks and such, it was in an open soccer field when it happened.

My question is is their an warranty on this part from Revolution?

If so, do I take it back to the store I bought it from or send it directly to Revolution?

If their is no warranty can I buy just one rod and not the whole set or is that a bad idea? Approximate price for replacement?

Thanks in advance.

#2 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 06:25 PM

I bought a Rev 1.5 SLE at the LongBeach Kite Festival last month.

On my fourth flight my horizonal rod snapped about 6 inches from the left edge.

Needless to say I am disappointed. The kite hit the ground a few times do to my newbie flying but nothing out of the normal. Does this sound like a faulty piece or is their something I could have did? I am fairly sure it did not hit any objects like rocks and such, it was in an open soccer field when it happened.

My question is is their an warranty on this part from Revolution?

If so, do I take it back to the store I bought it from or send it directly to Revolution?

If their is no warranty can I buy just one rod and not the whole set or is that a bad idea? Approximate price for replacement?

Thanks in advance.

I presume you are referring to the SLE(1/2" OD) rod.
It would be quite unusual for that rod to break so esily, but it is possible if it is physically damaged before.
This can happen if something is dropped on it or trunk is closed on it. Something of that nature. What I am saying it is a weak spot has been created. The fact that you mention it is broken in one place indicates to me physical damage. I have never known a rod from the factory to break in one place if it was not damaged after it left the factory. If they break, they will break in several places at once and it will sound like a gun going off.
That is my personal experience from flying REVs since 1990.

You can talk to the shop where you bought, they might give you a new one, maybe not.
If it is an SLE rod, there might be an "SLE rod hater" out there on the forum that would give you one.
To buy one I doubt is no more the $20.00.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#3 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 06:39 PM

John is as usual totally correct I looked up some stuff for you.
Your problem looked big when it happens but rest assured its no big deal. You may even look at this as an opportunity.
1. Yes you can replace it for around $17.
You may consider this a time to upgrade.
2. You could change out that nasty old SLE with a sweet leading edge. If you want a simple 3 wrap you can do it for around $33. They go for around $11 each and you need three. Just make sure you order one of them as a center so that it will come with the ferrules required for a leading edge.
3. You should consider upgrading to a race leading edge. I think they go for around $13 each. I know you can get the whole frame (5 pieces) for $64

Read around this forum and you will see a ton of advice on leading edges and frames. I think it goes around 99.9% against the SLE the standard Rev comes with.

By the way if your kite broke because you are flying in 30 MPH winds all the time stop at #1 and consider a Vented Rev.

I got my prices form midwestkites online but Im sure your kite shop can handle what ever you decide. Decide quickly, your missing wind.

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#4 Craig

Craig
  • Forum Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 08:45 PM

Thanks for the quick turn around on advice.

I have attached a photo to show you guys.

brokenLeadingEdge.jpg

Also it broke on a Vented Rev 1.5 so wind wasnt the issue, I would be lucky if I hit 12mph when it broke.

I will look into 1/4 for sure. I might spend the $17 to replace the part though anyway so I have a complete 2nd set if something like this happens again. In fact I will probably contact Revolution to see about replacement since I can say in all honesty I did not sit on it or anything like that. For all I know the damage could have happened during shipping or at the kite store, cause I am sure Revolution has some Quality Control.

Also I just noticed that my Leading Edge might be 7/16 according to this link of my kite: http://www.midwestki.....item_id=1tzjg

Is this the correct replacement part then http://www.midwestki.....item_id=1cjqr ?

#5 beach

beach

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 10:53 PM

Interesting, this is Ben and yes the rods are all flexed before they leave and our rods are pretty bulletproff so thats a tough one for sure all I can do at this point is say if you want to upgrade contact me direct and I'll make it happen and who knows maybe an SLE will fall in the box....Ben

#6 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 06:32 AM

Ya gotta love Ben!
Call him.(Just call Rev and ask for Ben) Listen to him. Do what he suggest.
Problem solved.

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#7 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 07:52 AM

Yes, Ben is the man. If anyone can help you with this, it is him.

This is kind of strange, the SLE rods, are very strong, and shouldn't break that easily unless there had been some damage to it earlier.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#8 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 11:20 AM

Kudo's to Ben once again.

The only time that I have ever seen the SLE rods break is after they have been pounded (and I do mean pounded) into the ground. This is usually done when the kite comes into the ground at a 45ish degree angle in stronger winds. The thing is that they rod doesn't break right away, it will crack but look good and then when you take the kite back up in the air and fly it for a minute or so the rod will let go. You will think that the wind was way to light to break the rod like it did...the thing is that the rod broke when it hit the ground, the flight just finished it off. To say that you broke the rod on a Vented 1.5 in 12 mph winds is impossible. I am sure that the rod was fractured from some good contacts with the ground first (or with a trunk lid, shoe stomp or other) and the flight in the air just finished off the damage. Another thing that will damage a rod pretty quick is contact with a tree, rock, fence or other immovable object. A sharp blow from any of these will surely weaken the rod but this is still not a factory defect.

The SLE rods are nearly bullet proof. They can take a huge amount of ground impacts before weakening or breaking. When I first started flying Rev's (my trusty EXP) I went through a couple of rods within the first few months. Once I got the hang of flying I can say that I haven't broken a rod in years (well, except for my speed series kites in 20+ mph winds).

I have broken a couple SLE rods myself, usually done on the Speed Series kites but I have broken one or two SLE rods on the 1.5 during lessons. Every time one of these rods have broke it is because of the initial contact with the ground first.

Regardless, replacement rods are very easy to get and even easier to slide back into your kite. As mentioned above you have a lot of options as well. I would suggest replacing your SLE rod for now. As your skills increase you will then be able to switch out the SLE to the more flexible (and more delicate) 1/4" rods of various strengths.

Hope this helps!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users