competition help

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 clrizz

clrizz
  • Forum Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 09:52 AM

Hi all! I am a new Rev flyer and looking for any and all info on competing in the midwest. Mostly detailed contest info on precision and the compulsory events, if they are even different events. Any comments or info would be greatly appreciated. thanx  

Sorry, I originally posted this in the wrong place. :oops:

#2 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 09:54 AM

That's a pretty broad request... Do you have any specifics you'd like information about to start with?

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#3 clrizz

clrizz
  • Forum Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 10:32 AM

I guess it is  :?
I should start with the compulsories. Are they they the same event as precision?
And the figures that are flown, do you fly them and only them. And are they timed events.

I think I have the basics for ballet. Two to four minutes, but are there certain figures or patterns everyone has to fly?
If these aren't confusing enough, I have more :D

#4 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 10:37 AM

I guess it is  :?  
I should start with the compulsories. Are they they the same event as precision?  
And the figures that are flown, do you fly them and only them. And are they timed events.

Competiton consists of three compulsories chosen beforehand by the organizers, as well as a 2-3 minute freestyle (non-musical) routine.

I think I have the basics for ballet. Two to four minutes, but are there certain figures or patterns everyone has to fly?

Completely open to you... No preset maneuvers, although it is paramount to demonstrate your various skills in a choreographed routine.

Now, as far as choreographed... You can either write something up ahead of time, or make it up on the fly (like I do)... One way or the other, the kite should represent what the music is doing. ;)

Have you found the quad line ballet routine videos on Kitelife yet?

John Barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#5 clrizz

clrizz
  • Forum Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 02:11 PM

Have you found the quad line ballet routine videos on Kitelife yet?

yes I have, thanks. I've watched quite a few besides quad. very interesting and entertaining(and extremely impressive!)

Competiton consists of three compulsories chosen beforehand by the organizers, as well as a 2-3 minute freestyle (non-musical) routine.  

Now each compulsory is a figure from the compulsory book, correct?
And the freestyle, is that worked into the compulsories, or something by itself? Like ballet w/out music?

#6 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 02:46 PM

Now each compulsory is a figure from the compulsory book, correct?

Correct... They also have to be announced a minimum of 30 days prior to any given competition, usually they are found on the registration form or on the event's web site (if they have one).

And the freestyle, is that worked into the compulsories, or something by itself? Like ballet w/out music?

Freestyle is separate... You fly your three compulsories, one at a time (yell "IN" for the judges when you start one, "OUT" when you finish it)... Then the freestyle, also started with an "IN" and finished with an "OUT".

The "Field Director" is your friend... This is an individual assigned to tell you what each compulsory is, one at a time... Then when you're ready for the freestyle, you can ask them to call out "2 minutes" when you've reached your minimum, "2:45" when you're nearing your maximum time, etc... Whatever "time checks" you want, within reason.

John Barresi

#7 TGunn

TGunn

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 04:32 PM

Hi all! I am a new Rev flyer and looking for any and all info on competing in the midwest. Mostly detailed contest info on precision and the compulsory events, if they are even different events. Any comments or info would be greatly appreciated. thanx  

Sorry, I originally posted this in the wrong place. :oops:

You can learn all you need to know about multiline/quadline sport kite competition by reading the official International Rules Book:

IRB:   http://www.aka.kite....KCR_current.pdf  

(refer to the section that details the Multiline competitions)

IBR Precision Competition compulsory Figures:
http://www.aka.kite....ompfigs_v2.html  

Animated Precision figures. these will help you ses how each figure is actually flown:
http://www.reeddesig...skcb/index.html

You can find out what events and/or competitions are in your area, by contacting the AKA (American Kitefliers Association) Region 6 Director, at:
region6@aka.kite.org

Region 6 kite related resources:
http://www.aka.kite....er.cgi?region=6

When you fly any multiline/quadline competition, judges will also be looking for multiline/quadline moves that can only be done with a multiline/quadline kite. Such as: reverse flight, stops/stalls/hovers, center spins, side slides. These are also known as quadline effect moves. Basically, the judges want to see the various styles of tricks you can do that are unique to the style of kite.

This doesn't in anyway mean that you have to be proficient with all quadline affect moves to be able to compete, but the more you know and exhibit during a competition performance, the higher your score will be. Judges will so be looking at how well you execute various maneuvers, like I mentions above.

I hope you give competition a try! Good Luck!
:D

Troy Gunn

TKO Sport Kite Team - Founding Member
<a class="bbc_url" title="External link" href="http://tko.sportkite...d.com/home.htm" rel="nofollow external">http://tko.sportkite...od.com/home.htm

#8 clrizz

clrizz
  • Forum Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 05:10 PM

thanks for all the help so far. It gives me a much clearer idea of what to expect. I'm going to try to go to one or two competitions this season to get a firsthand look before next year. thanks again :D

#9 monkey

monkey

Rev Guru

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 09:13 PM

Competition can be a lot of fun and I guarantee you that your flying skills will increase dramatically as you get the precision figures down.

Enjoy!
David Hathaway, Revisionist
-~ REVisions
-~ www.simian-studios.ca
-~ www.teamiquad.com
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users