#41 david ellison

david ellison

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 08:54 AM

Hi all

Please put my name in the mix for this - sounds fun.
Havn't flown 4 lines for months - been playing with 2 - but could be tempted to slide back into the habit. Another vote for a venue closer to Devon (Weston super nightmare?)

And I promise not to bite ;)

David

#42 clare

clare

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 01:31 PM

ok can I add my two pennneth?

I am willing to travel absolutely anywhere in the UK to attend a big rev meet and workshop type thing, but would need notice to travel (like a week or something - have car, tent and petrol and will hot foot it anywhere if its gonna be fun!) If theres enough notice I am more than happy to book a wee bit of time off to get there and spend the weekend.

I reckon a two location weekend would dilute it too much and not be anywhere near as good and would miss out on all the having a laugh after dark, flying the revs with lights and drinking beer (sorry I mean sparkling flavoured water here of course!) and being a tiny bit silly, that a full weekend could potentially involve!

Central is fine for me, but OMG how good would Ainsdale be? Its a gorgeous spot, its actually central for the whole of the Uk, despite being north england - lets not forget the scottish chaps?, its got fairly easy access from all the major motorways, train lines and airports in the area and its got a fair few places for people to stay over in the nearish area. Theres an amazing amount of space for people to fly, the winds this yr have been mostly on shore, so nice and clean, but I am told that if next summer is a bit nicer than this one it will be more erratic.

Should Ainsdale be chosen for a spot to meet, then I live about 20 mins drive from there and can put up four people in total comfort (well five but I guess my b/f would complain about that! lol) , and as many more as we can jam on blow up beds if folk are happy to be a bit friendly and need somewhere to stay! Im happy to open the house up for a weekend.

Whatever, come on chaps lets get a great UK meet going on, and hey lets make it a yearly event!

#43 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 12:34 AM

We can GAG the B/F for the weekend Clare,,.Kite Party At Clares Crib,,.The last time i herd about this sorta thing happening on the Net,3000 turned up BABY. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nice gesture Clare,

.Park mine and Dave Caravans locally.

Ther you go,JOBS A GOODN.Free B & B.

Anywhere for me is fine.Two legs is a great shout.If i can help in anyway at all,JUST ASK.

BRIAN...

#44 Harrier

Harrier

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 01:32 AM

Clare said: "I reckon a two location weekend would dilute it too much and not be anywhere near as good and would miss out on all the having a laugh after dark, flying the revs with lights and drinking beer (sorry I mean sparkling flavoured water here of course!) and being a tiny bit silly, that a full weekend could potentially involve! "
Odd call Clare, try going to both for twice as much fun, we fly several times a week it sure don't dilute our fun. :P

#45 Stephen Hoath

Stephen Hoath

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 02:51 AM

Clare said: "I reckon a two location weekend would dilute it too much and not be anywhere near as good and would miss out on all the having a laugh after dark, flying the revs with lights and drinking beer (sorry I mean sparkling flavoured water here of course!) and being a tiny bit silly, that a full weekend could potentially involve! "
Odd call Clare, try going to both for twice as much fun, we fly several times a week it sure don't dilute our fun. :P

OK so this is looking as though there is enough interest.

I will check the calendar for formal dates but i would be looking at either mid November or in the new year. Sorry I can't do it sooner but I still have a lot of festivals to go to - pause to rub it in - Taiwan & Frejus (near Nice in France) etc. Ah life is tuff :P

This will be a very informal affair but I would (always) recommend that anyone coming has suitable Third Party Liability insurance. (see other threads here and on Fractured Axel forum)

I need to get a list of names of those who wish to come and then we can confirm details. So, please PM here and I will make a list. Please let me have your email address and then I can contact you later. I will send a little questionnaire to try and establish your current skill level and what you want to achieve from the day. Please have some thoughts on this now and by all means discuss them here.

Do we want to learn about the kite/handles/spars - quick tips on getting the best out of your kit
Individual flight - ie a break down of some of the more complex moves
Team/pairs - obviously this is my favourite but it needs a certain amount of control first.

So, just like your English A level exam.

The goals and objectives of a Rev skills day workshop - discuss.

:blue_wink:

Stephen Hoath

<a href="http://www.baidesign.net" rel="nofollow">Bai Design</a>

cappalatte-150x90.jpg

#46 dave b

dave b

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 12:39 PM

So, just like your English A level exam.

The goals and objectives of a Rev skills day workshop - discuss.

:blue_wink:

Hi Stephen,

Great to hear that it looks like this is going to go ahead.
Been flying for a while now, made good progress in the early days but got to a point now where i dont seem to be progressing further.

Want to learn more about general flying techniques, individual, pairs & team flying, low wind flying + anything else & come away from the day a better rev flyer.

Dave

#47 Fraser

Fraser

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 03:59 AM

Na, I can see Clare's point here Bruce (even though yours is completely valid). Forcing everyone into one big get-together will let all us newbies get the most exposure to all you more experienced peeps, as well as really adding to the party/Rev community feel. It'd be a total bummer to keep hearing 'so-and-so couldn't make it, but they'll be at Landsend next week"! At least the first time, lets have a right big gathering!

As a scottish Rev-er, Ainsdale does sound like a good venue too (though that might just be the concept of sleeping with Clare - so to speak! LOL). From the few pics I've seen, the beach looks amazing for kiting.

Fraser

#48 Fraser

Fraser

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 04:05 AM

We're already in the early planning stages for something similar, from iQuad, here in the US.

Probably in February, April or March... Will post news on a separate thread as it develops.

Going to be great fun, I have no doubt yours will be as well. ;)

Well, you'll know first-hand - we're expecting a guest appearance Barresi! (Don't even THINK about making excuses. Just remember - it's YOUR fault half of us are into all this Rev caper!)
:kid_smartass:

#49 Fraser

Fraser

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 04:09 AM

What is a pullover?

Man, you're lucky I didn't get to this one first...... :kid_devlish:

#50 Stephen Hoath

Stephen Hoath

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 09:56 AM

I have been looking at this again trying to make it happen. We have around 17 people who have expressed an interest here. Some are very experienced Rev pilots and have offered to lend a hand ( and I haven't even bullied my team into becoming involved yet). This sounds like sensible numbers to begin with. If it works we can always do another.

So the challenges that we have is that you live as far apart as the very South West of England to Scotland and Belgium and we all have different skill levels.

The things to consider then are these.Have one event or two gatherings
THe location of the gahering
The program for the day
Insurance
For location we could do two meets, one on the West coast and one on the East. Or we could run one event in a central location.

Now I was as surprised as you all to find that Bedfordshire (where I is) is almost exactly central. We have a venue called Stopsley Park which is a massive field used for football and rugby etc which is near Luton which is an Easy Jet airport and just off the M1 with good toilet facilities. (that's Stopsley not the M1) Now obviously I am prejudiced but this does seem like a good idea if we want one meeting. If two meetings are what's wanted then I suggest one on the west coast (Ainsdale is still on the cards or maybe Bristol) and one in Anglia/Essex.

What I need you all to do is consider do you want to make a weekend of it (sort out your own accomodation) or is it just a day? Do we want one meeting or two?

Date wise my suggestions would be the 10/11 November or 17/18 November (I am busy up until then) or a weekend in February. Either way, the weather is going to be a consideration and influence what can be achieved.

So, get back to me.

:blue-cool:

Stephen Hoath

<a href="http://www.baidesign.net" rel="nofollow">Bai Design</a>

cappalatte-150x90.jpg

#51 Fraser

Fraser

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 10:54 AM

From reading all that's gone before, the best for me would be one meet in Ainsdale - sounds great for facilities and stuff. The thought of a pretty small number of people and the fantastic newbie-to-superstar ratio sounds fantastic - BOUND to be a help to us all (newbies that is - it'll be a nightmare for you good uns, Ha ha!).

Having said all that, I fully understand that most people have rather more committments than I do, being single and mobile, so I'll seriously consider any format/location that suits most people. :kid_smartass:

Fraser.

#52 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 11:18 AM

I could make the 10h 11th by the looks of it at the moment. Cant make the later weekend. Would LOVE it to be on my doorstep but I think that the main thing is that there is some wind!!!

Would this mean that a coastal spot would be better than an inland spot?

I dont get to fly at the coast much but I know the wind inland can be a bit unreliable??

If I miss this one hopefully I will be able to make the next, then Fraser will be an expert and able to teach me.

#53 clare

clare

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 01:31 PM

Ok Ive been told its an odd call to want everyone together for the full weekend rather than a two stage weekend!

but i reckon if we could all get together in one place for the full weekend, it would be nice to eat together/ drink dirty beer together and then fly the next day together? theres nothing more bonding than sharing a beer! So we could all fly together, then camp over be it caravan or tent, stage a massive full on communal bbq and get everyone fed and beered for the full on laugh of it, all together. Then get the kites up in the air complete with lights, just for the sheer ducking fun of it, and for the fun of being that little bit daft! Lets play!

Then get up early, shake of the cobwebs and get on with some serious rev flying, putting into practise what we have learnt off the masters the day before.

Proper make a weekend of it, im prepared to travel for it.

However - AINSDALE ALL THE WAY! lets rock and roll chaps!

#54 Harrier

Harrier

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 02:28 PM

Luton sounds good to us, Bristol area would be ok too. Ainsdale sounds superb but the 12 hour round trip knocks it on the head for us.
I dont mind much what the wind is like, the wind aint that reliable near the east coast Baloo, we get plenty of turbulent wind here.
Dates are good and ok with a one or two day event, during both November and February the days are short so two days would allow us more chance to achieve something.
As for the programme, I am happy to go along with whatever is decided.
I have third party cover for kite flying.
One point that might be relevant is required kit, I normally fly on 100ft lines, if team flying is a possibility then do we need to have a standard line length.

Nah, you missed the point Clare, it would be good to all meet up at once if possible but if it is to be a double event then why not rock up to both? You get to have twice as much of everything, tuition, flying, fun, and even twice as much beer.

Fraser, single and mobile, course you are, you live in a Taxi don't you? :P

#55 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 11:44 AM

Okay, right, it’s time to throw my hat into the ring. For reasons best known to myself, (and Stephen who I have already spoken to) I have tried to stay out of this debate but I think the time has now come to say something.

Date wise we are currently looking at either November or February and people are still talking about camping. Now call me a southern softie if you like but isn’t that a tad ambitious? I must admit I’m not a camper but I wouldn’t think you can just pitch your tent on a beach somewhere and not fall foul of some regulation or by-law and will official camp sites be open in winter?

Ainsdale sounds great for facilities, I have long wanted the opportunity to fly on a beach but there are I think problems with it being in the North West. We are looking at winter dates and the further north we go the shorter the winter days get and I won’t even mention the cold, ‘cos as the Big Yin says, “there’s no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes”.

At this point I think it is only fair that I declare a special interest. The reason I have chosen to stay out of this discussion for so long is that, like Stephen, I also live in Bedfordshire, my “home field” is Dunstable Downs, and I am fortunate enough to be able to call several of the UK’s top Rev flyers friends, at least three of whom also fly regularly at Dunstable. Whilst I am as keen to learn from Stephen as the rest of you, I am not exactly short of expert guidance and for that reason I had thought it would be selfish to attempt to influence the debate while there are clearly many of you out there in far greater need working away alone.

Stephen has suggested Stopsley Park but his suggestion has largely been ignored. So far, I don’t think anybody has mentioned Stephen’s costs and the costs of those top flyers who have offered their support, they have to be considered especially if this turns out to be a double event. Stephen had initially offered “a weekend” that has now escalated to two. I think we have to take a closer look at Stephen’s suggestion.

Stephen has already sung the praises of the site:-

We have a venue called Stopsley Park which is a massive field used for football and rugby etc which is near Luton which is an Easy Jet airport and just off the M1 with good toilet facilities. (that's Stopsley not the M1)

What he hasn’t said is that ths is a site he often uses for Flying Squad meetings, several of the people Stephen is likely to be calling on for help live within an hour of the site and I believe another who has already offered help has family close by, it has to be a strong contender.

We have also been asked to consider the insurance implications. I appreciate that what we do, is not exactly a high risk sport but half a pound or so of ripstop and carbon fibre travelling at 15 or 20mph is going to sting a bit if it hits somebody. I know we all take what care we can to avoid accidents but it only takes one numpty to not be looking where he’s going and any of us could be looking a very expensive law suit. Now whilst as individuals you may be prepared to take that risk, what we have to bear in mind is that if something goes wrong and somebody isn’t covered, some smart ass lawyer may consider Stephen to be an event organiser and as such responsible. I think we all owe it to him to make sure we are covered. I believe many household policies offer limited Personal Liability cover but to be on the safe side I have taken out Stack membership. Although I have no intention of ever competing, for £17 a year I get public liability insurance, a small price to pay for a years peace of mind.
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#56 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 11:57 AM

If you think illustrating safety will be an issue, you might consider having a couple of the fliers take shifts watching everyone else fly, and policing safety on the field.

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#57 ian4c

ian4c

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 04:31 PM

Date wise my suggestions would be the 10/11 November or 17/18 November (I am busy up until then) or a weekend in February. Either way, the weather is going to be a consideration and influence what can be achieved.

So, get back to me.

:blue-cool:

All sounds good to me. Where ever and whenever is fine.

Just a suggestion. When I travel I generally use Travel Lodge for accommodation. Travel Travel Lodge do special rates for booking in advance. Generally £26 at weekends. As an example, for the Bristol Festival we stayed at Aust for £26 per night. The local pub restaurant in Aust was excellent. There are several Travel Lodges with a max 20 miles from the venues mentioned.

#58 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 10:03 PM

Well all this is just a wish for me now.

Just been blown out of the sky, my wife has arranged something for the 10th and it would be unwise of me not to go to it. She never gives me hassle about flying and actually encoursges me to on days when I normally wouldnt.

Would not be fair of me not to support her.

Hope it all works well, and see you next time hopefully.

#59 Fraser

Fraser

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 11:20 PM

Well all this is just a wish for me now.

Just been blown out of the sky, my wife has arranged something for the 10th and it would be unwise of me not to go to it. She never gives me hassle about flying and actually encoursges me to on days when I normally wouldnt.

Would not be fair of me not to support her.

Hope it all works well, and see you next time hopefully.

That's the Bad Angel for your 'Livin' in a Taxi' and 'Fraser'll be an Expert' comments! :kid_devlish:

#60 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 11:55 AM

Fraser you cut me to the quick. I didnt make the comment about you living in a Taxi, it was Bruce.

I did think you lived in one though.

And of course you will be an expert if you can go to the UK Rev day.

I am an upset little bear now.

Just hope that all who can make it have a spiffing time. I am sure you will having met Stephen, salt of the Earth I would say, not like that horrible Fraser chap!! Casting Nastercians (? spelling supposed to be the flower) at me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users