MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 02:11 PM

Denny,
Confusing ain't it?

I think I will give Ben a call next week, after this big kite fest, and see what my current options are. To get it in my colors might take it out of my price range too.

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#22 ilh

ilh

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 02:17 PM

Polyester.

Thanks.

#23 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 06:07 PM

I think I will give Ben a call next week, after this big kite fest, and see what my current options are. To get it in my colors might take it out of my price range too.

Denny they currently make the rev 1 in the same pattern as the 1.5 seeing as they match them for the progressive stacks, I don't see you having any problems getting one to match what you have now, as for venting if you go that route I would go with the 2 verticals.
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#24 CLTKiter

CLTKiter

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 04:43 AM

Hey Denny,

This thread is interesting...

I have a Sedgwick Rev I and echo what so many folks have said about its flyability, particularly in light winds with a 2-wrap spar. I bought a vented Rev I last fall and was surprised when it came with two vertical vents on each side rather than the one horizontal triangular vent like the picture showed. I contacted Rev to see what the reason was and was told that they produced one (some?) with the horizontal vent, but it didn't fly as well as with the vertical vents. Since I wasn't totally fond of the way it looked (although it flew great), I sold it and just a couple of weeks ago got a Sedgwick vented (with one vertical vent on each side). If I can get to my desktop computer with the pictures on it, I'll post some so you can see the difference.

With you being on the coast, you'd probably love a vented Rev I with a couple of different sets of spars.

Later, Doug
W.A.C.K.O.S. - Wings Across Carolina Kiting and Okra Society

#25 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 05:00 AM

Doug,
I look forward to those pictures. You say the 2 smaller vents flew great. Was there a big difference in the flight of that and the Sedgwick ?
Denny

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#26 CLTKiter

CLTKiter

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 05:29 AM

Denny, here are pictures of my red/white/black Rev I vented and my newer one that I just picked up. Actually, I haven't had enough air time with either of them to see much of a difference. They both fly/flew great. The regular Sedgwick is my avatar...

Doug

Attached Thumbnails

• RevIvented.JPG
  • NewRevIvented.JPG

#27 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 09:24 AM

I think that R/W/Black with the 2 vents looks great. Darn I wish someone around here had one I could try.

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#28 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 08:18 PM

Denny, that red and blk has the mylar you don't want that on a Rev 1 all fabric is defiantly better on that kite. but defiantly want the vertical vents I tried one with the middle panel vented not as precise.
Jim,

Posted Image

#29 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 06:51 AM

Denny, that red and blk has the mylar you don't want that on a Rev 1 all fabric is defiantly better on that kite. but defiantly want the vertical vents I tried one with the middle panel vented not as precise.

Sounds like you have had the opportunity to try/do the groundwork I wanted to do. Thanks to all of you for sharing your experience and experiences with the Rev 1. This has become quite a study in the development of the kite. They went form horizontal mylar panels with vents which replaced the mylar to vertical vents which kept mylar in the sail, while leaving the mylar out of the sails of the Sedgwick series altogether. From every thing I can gather mylar is not a good thing for the Rev 1. This is starting to become an easy decision.

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#30 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 11:52 AM

Thank you all.
Just so you know that your input was not wasted.. Kite ordered :) . I will save the rest for a pic when it gets here.

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#31 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 08:42 AM

Got it!!
I took all the advice, took it apart then matched it up, figured the conditions I want to fly in and called Rev. Ben said no problem and I got it. Thank all of you. I flew first thing this morning. The wind was maxing out at 3 mpg for about an hour and I fell in love with this kite. Itís kind of like a SUL on steroids. I didnít think it would stay up when I gave the first pull. What a surprise when it just kept flying. Then the wind picked up and slowly went all the way to 10 mph which gave me a chance to do some real flying. That Red White and Blue was shining in the sky looking great.
Here are the pictures I promised.
My Rev1

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#32 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 09:07 AM

I find the Sedgewick vented isnt as high wind freindly like the Rev One Vented.I usually fly the Sedgewick vented with 2 or three wrap,its amazeing to fly as is the none vented Sedgewick.My Fav Rev Ones by far.
The Rev One Vented i do use a 4 wrap and i suspect because of the way its vented diffrently. It flys nicer in 14+ mph than the vented Sedgewick.IM LUCKY TO HAVE THEM,that i do know :).

Just my Two Pence Worth

BRIAN...

#33 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 01:46 PM

LOVE the pics, exellent fun.

#34 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 02:02 PM

Doug,
I look forward to those pictures. You say the 2 smaller vents flew great. Was there a big difference in the flight of that and the Sedgwick ?
Denny

Love the shots of the kites.Ive just sold my R/B/W Rev One vented.You couldnt get my Sedgewicks from me for Love or Money.Hot is the coolest coulor.

NICE,Cheers

BRIAN...

#35 inkslinger

inkslinger
  • Forum Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 02:56 PM

:kid_smartass: CLTKiter thats a real nice pic of the rev1 red mylar black vented, i own one without vents and fly with fortflyer on weekens , and when the winds hit 16, it flys like a mad truck any higher then 20 i just sit the sidelines and watch the pro's at work , its my frist rev kite with the sle rods for this new guy it takes a beatting, but i'm thinking of getting a vented kite soon and i like the way your rev1 looks , i to was wondering how they were venting the rev1, they show the mylar replace with the screen on the web, i wonder how do they fly any better than having just 2 on each side like your r/m/b vented

#36 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 03:10 PM

I had mine out today and when the winds hit 15 I put it away and got out the 1.5 vent. That thing was moving fast and hard to turn. I think I could handle the Rev1 better with the old, smaller handles. Which handles are you guy using?

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#37 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 03:50 PM

Got it!!
I took all the advice, took it apart then matched it up, figured the conditions I want to fly in and called Rev. Ben said no problem and I got it. Thank all of you. I flew first thing this morning. The wind was maxing out at 3 mpg for about an hour and I fell in love with this kite. It's kind of like a SUL on steroids. I didn't think it would stay up when I gave the first pull. What a surprise when it just kept flying. Then the wind picked up and slowly went all the way to 10 mph which gave me a chance to do some real flying. That Red White and Blue was shining in the sky looking great.
Here are the pictures I promised.
My Rev1

Mr Denny, Congrats on the excellent choice especially the colors thats a sweet ride I like that allot, I wonder if they would make RW&B in the new pattern on a Rev 1 that would make my progressive stack match perfectly :kid_drool:
Jim,

Posted Image

#38 CLTKiter

CLTKiter

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 04:48 PM

Denny, that's a good-lookin' Rev I. Glad you like it...

Doug

#39 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 07:51 PM

Thanks for all the kite complements. I like it too. Next question: Which handles do you use with your Rev1? I seem to be over steering when doing things like trying to snap a 180 or clock stops. Iím thinking of trying the shorter handles next time.

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#40 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 09:05 PM

I use the 13" handles on my Rev I, same as the 1.5... Just a little more body language thrown into the controls.

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users