44 replies to this topic

#1 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 05:19 AM

I am looking hard at a Rev I for my next kite. My two favorite videos are both Rev I.One is Jon B's demo on the beach and the other is Ron Despojado's. 2002 comp. When I see those videos I just want to go out and fly. Most stuff I read says it is the best thing since ice cream but if you look at the date of the writings they are pre 1.5. I don't want to end up getting 3 Rev Is like the 1.5s so I am thinking the 3 wrap 1/4" leading edge vented for the most wind conditions. This idea is pruly from my 1.5 knowledge base so better ideas from people that have a Rev I would be very helpful.
I just wonder if I can get one in red white and blue? Red and blue would work with the white center.
Denny

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#2 nckiter

nckiter

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 06:25 AM

Mr. Denny,

The Rev 1 is the daddy of all the Rev line, it started it all.

I have a few of them, my favorites being the Sedgwick signature series in non-vented and vented. These are precision machines. Slower, smoother, and more stable than the standard 1.5 series. Like the 1.5s, changeable frame sets are available in 2 , 3, and 4 wraps and also SLE. Hopefully the race rod will also become available. Same line sets and handles you use with your 1.5s will work with these just fine.

If you have any specific questions, throw them out here, there are plenty here who will answer.
Kip Clement
Apex (land of light and variable wind) NC

#3 nckiter

nckiter

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 06:31 AM

You sound like one of my flying buddies, if it's not R/W/B it's not in his bag. I know other color combinations such as the R/W/B have been made and are possible, you would just have to work out the details.
Kip Clement

#4 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 07:14 AM

Mr. Denny,

If you have any specific questions, throw them out here, there are plenty here who will answer.

Spicific, ok.
SLE in a 1.5 = total waste of money. Is it the same with the 1?
I use 2 wrap and race ALL the time in my 1.5s. Is the 1 too wide to concider this?
I am very unsure on to vent or not to vent. How low (wind) can I go and still have fun with the vented?
Rev says the standard
Wind Range:3-20 mph
3-25 mph w/SLE
Is that accurate it seems plenty high.
Thats enough for now.
Thanks for the help,
Denny

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#5 nckiter

nckiter

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 09:26 AM

Denny,
SLE a total waste of money? I don't know about that. I still have 'em and still use 'em, granted I reserve them for high wind or newbie lessons only.

The Rev 1 is not too wide for the other rods. I fly mostly the skinny or 1/4" rods in the 1s, mostly 2 and 3 wrap. Your local shop should be able to get them set up for the 1.

I don't know if the race rods will be (or are) available for the 1 but I sure would like a set if they are.

The rev lit. is pretty accurate regarding wind speed.

A steady 3 mph on a non-vented even with a SLE is easily doable. Dropping down to the 3 or 2 wraps picks up both speed and response.

I have flown the non-vented in the 20 - 25 range with the SLE with good results. Pull becomes the main factor though.

I personally prefer the non-vented in the 3 - 10 range, and the vented in the 8 - 20 range.

The vented sails are always my favorites and I will always try a vented first if there is any chance at all of getting some performance with the wind.

Low end on the vented with a 2 wrap (and still have fun) is about 6 for me. The highest I flown the vented with comfort, good control, and a SLE was about 32.

Hope this helps
Kip Clement

#6 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 09:45 AM

I am looking hard at a Rev I for my next kite. My two favorite videos are both Rev I.One is Jon B's demo on the beach and the other is Ron Despojado's. 2002 comp. When I see those videos I just want to go out and fly. Most stuff I read says it is the best thing since ice cream but if you look at the date of the writings they are pre 1.5. I don't want to end up getting 3 Rev Is like the 1.5s so I am thinking the 3 wrap 1/4" leading edge vented for the most wind conditions. This idea is pruly from my 1.5 knowledge base so better ideas from people that have a Rev I would be very helpful.
I just wonder if I can get one in red white and blue? Red and blue would work with the white center.
Denny

I would first suggest that you borrow one for a little bit and see if you like it at all. The REV I is slower and pulls more.

I personally like both the REV I and REV 1.5. I do fly the REV 1.5 a bit more then the REV I.
For the REV I, all of the rods " 1/4" Professional Only", " 1/4" Ultra Light", " 1/4"Revolution Equipped", " 1/4" Stiff" and the "SLE Revolution Equipped" each have the conditions where they perform better then the other rods. When, is more relative to your personal preference in reference to the wind conditions and possibly other things.
Sails are also quite different. The older nylon sails are softer and more precise, but tend to stretch in time and in flight and wear out quicker then the newer Polyester sails. The polyester sail does not stretch in fight like the nylon. The pull is reduced as the bellow effect is reduced. It is more radical, faster and less precise.

For demonstrations and ballet competition I will use either a REV I or REV 1.5 depending on which music I am flying to.
For competition precision, I still choose the REV I for the precision figures and shift to a REV 1.5 (within 90 seconds) for the precision routine.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#7 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 09:53 AM

I would first suggest that you borrow one for a little bit and see if you like it at all. The REV I is slower and pulls more.

I personally like both the REV I and REV 1.5. I do fly the REV 1.5 a bit more then the REV I.
For the REV I, all of the rods " 1/4" Professional Only", " 1/4" Ultra Light", " 1/4"Revolution Equipped", " 1/4" Stiff" and the "SLE Revolution Equipped" each have the conditions where they perform better then the other rods. When, is more relative to your personal preference in reference to the wind conditions and possibly other things.
Sails are also quite different. The older nylon sails are softer and more precise, but tend to stretch in time and in flight and wear out quicker then the newer Polyester sails. The polyester sail does not stretch in fight like the nylon. The pull is reduced as the bellow effect is reduced. It is more radical, faster and less precise.

For demonstrations and ballet competition I will use either a REV I or REV 1.5 depending on which music I am flying to.
For competition precision, I still choose the REV I for the precision figures and shift to a REV 1.5 (within 90 seconds) for the precision routine.

Call Revolution and see if they might have a R-W-B stashed somewhere. I picked up the one in the attached picture at Revolution back in 2002.

Attached Thumbnails

• sm_DSC21009.JPG

International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

#8 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 12:53 PM

the rev 1 is a sweet kite a great light wind flier with a 2 wrap in it
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#9 Mike

Mike

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 03:21 PM

[size=3]...and the other is Ron Despojado's. 2002 comp.

If I remember correctly, Ron is flying a 1.5 in that video.
Mike Kory:
Posted Image and Posted Image

#10 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 08:51 PM

Mike,
You are probably right. I just looked at the pattern and it looks like the 2002 1.5.
I went back and looked at some of John Mitchell's pages from that time frame to match it up.

John M,
I totally agree I need to fly one or two first. I have asked every rev guy I know within 200 miles and none have a Rev1. I do have one more question. Looks like the Sedgwick has no Mylar panels I sure like that look better is there a big difference in flight? Or should I just think vented and not worry about that.

nckiter,
I hadn't even thought about race rods for it. Your information has me leaning toward getting one kite and a couple of LEs. By the way, I guess the SLE is good for teaching. When used for the kite steak they are easy to see plus tie a piece of ribbon on it and you can even call it a wind direction detector. You also say" I have a few of them, my favorites being the Sedgwick signature series in non-vented and vented." What is the reason for getting a Sedgwick when getting a vented [performance wise]?

I know I am a pain in the hind quarter but I do appreciate the knowledge you are all so willing to share.

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#11 nckiter

nckiter

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 10:02 AM

Hi Denny,
You are correct the Sedgwick is all fabric, no mylar. Most folks generally agree that the all fabric just plain flys better. I subscribe to that same school of thought. I also believe that the vertical sail pattern of the Sedgwicks is another design feature that delivers better and more precise flight. I'm not sure I understood your question about ." What is the reason for getting a Sedgwick when getting a vented [performance wise]? I am referring to Sedgwicks in both non-vented and vented sails. I am not fortunate enough to do all my flying at the coast with good winds. A lot of my flying is 3 hr.s inland from the coast where steady, uniform wind is a rarity. My std. or non-vented Sedgwick sees more air time at home while the vented Sedgwick sees more at the beach. If I had better winds at home I would probably go strickly vented. I don't want to sound like a cliche', but Vented Rules!
Kip Clement

#12 ilh

ilh

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 10:20 AM

Is the Sedgwick made from nylon or polyester?

#13 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 10:27 AM

Hi Denny,
You are correct the Sedgwick is all fabric, no mylar. Most folks generally agree that the all fabric just plain flys better. I subscribe to that same school of thought. I also believe that the vertical sail pattern of the Sedgwicks is another design feature that delivers better and more precise flight. I'm not sure I understood your question about ." What is the reason for getting a Sedgwick when getting a vented [performance wise]? I am referring to Sedgwicks in both non-vented and vented sails. I am not fortunate enough to do all my flying at the coast with good winds. A lot of my flying is 3 hr.s inland from the coast where steady, uniform wind is a rarity. My std. or non-vented Sedgwick sees more air time at home while the vented Sedgwick sees more at the beach. If I had better winds at home I would probably go strickly vented. I don't want to sound like a cliche', but Vented Rules!

The reason I ask about the vented Sedgwick is it looks like the mylar is replaced by the vent making the 2 kites almost the same. It is so hard to judge kites by looking at pictures yet that is what you must do if it were not for the advice of others with more knowledge.

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#14 rc_dude

rc_dude

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 11:25 AM

Actually, Rev changed the venting of the Rev I (non-Sedgwick). They have kept the mylar and put two vertical vents, just like the venting on the 1.5 and the B-series. As far as I was told, the two vertical vents are more proper, than replacing the mylar with venting material. Better flying characteristics as a result.

#15 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 11:51 AM

Actually, Rev changed the venting of the Rev I (non-Sedgwick). They have kept the mylar and put two vertical vents, just like the venting on the 1.5 and the B-series. As far as I was told, the two vertical vents are more proper, than replacing the mylar with venting material. Better flying characteristics as a result.

That all seems rational. I wonder why Rev hasn't changed the pictures for that on their web pages? If you look at their pictures you can see why I assumed what I did.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#16 nckiter

nckiter

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 12:21 PM

Denny, with the Sedgwick there is no mylar, all fabric. For the vented version the center vertical panel is replaced almost entirely with screen.
Kip Clement

#17 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 01:04 PM

Denny, with the Sedgwick there is no mylar, all fabric. For the vented version the center vertical panel is replaced almost entirely with screen.

Ok, I think I finally get it. The Sedgwick is vented vertically vs. the standard vented, which the venting is almost horizontal.

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#18 nckiter

nckiter

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 01:32 PM

;)
Kip Clement

#19 nckiter

nckiter

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 01:38 PM

Denny,
Like rcdude mentioned, the std. Rev 1 sail pattern with or without mylar panels I believe is actuall vented with two narrow vertical vents very similar to the B series. The Sedgwick is vented with 1 larger vertical panel replacing the center vertical section. I'm not sure that Rev is actually making the std. Rev 1 with the horizontal vent as shown on the web site.

Confusing ain't it?
Kip Clement

#20 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 01:48 PM

Is the Sedgwick made from nylon or polyester?

Polyester.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users