strong wind

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 djinnzfree

djinnzfree
  • Forum Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 01:33 AM

when i'ved bought my B-Series the retailer said «you got two frame a PRO & a UL.»
he say's the PRO are lighter than the UL.
and one thing he says... when the wind is strong you could double the frame... but at each end there's just one end-cap...
so i don't really understand how i could double the frame...

the two small weight that they comes in the ready to fly kit... when i was suppose to fix it on the kite? they are an option or it's the most important thing???

thanks,
°°°have you hugged your kite today?°°°

#2 Isaac Trejo

Isaac Trejo
  • Forum Member
  • 34 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 02:41 AM

The second leading edge just sits along side of the first LE. Held there by friction.

Those weights not necessary now. They will be useful later when you start trying slack line tricks like axles.
Member of Team 180Go!

The Kite Bag
http://tinyurl.com/3xn8gr

#3 djinnzfree

djinnzfree
  • Forum Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 03:17 AM

thanks for your help Isaac Trejo!
B)
°°°have you hugged your kite today?°°°

#4 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 07:19 PM

Another thing you may want to do is pick up some snug fitting rubber caps, most big hardware stores have them called thread protectors, I like to put those over the ends of the loose leading edge for 2 reasons 1; they protect the ends in case of some hard tip stands and 2; they help hold the loose LE from sliding, they don't usually move much if any but hey a $.30 cap can keep a $12 rod from chipping thats cheap insurance.
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#5 CWhippie

CWhippie
  • Forum Member
  • 47 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 09:11 AM

After setting up in 22+mph winds last night I have another suggestion for you.

I dont recommend changing your LE in high winds and..

Put your vertical spars in as soon as you unroll your kite.

Last night I had my tips flapping in the wind while I changed the LE, the bridle got so twisted around the end caps at the tip that I had to retreat to my car for some protection from the wind to untangle them.

#6 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 09:28 AM

After setting up in 22+mph winds last night I have another suggestion for you.

I dont recommend changing your LE in high winds and..

Put your vertical spars in as soon as you unroll your kite.
Last night I had my tips flapping in the wind while I changed the LE, the bridle got so twisted around the end caps at the tip that I had to retreat to my car for some protection from the wind to untangle them.

Changing the LE in high winds is really no problem when you know the trick to it.
Have kite flat LE towards the wind and close to the ground as possible. There is less wind an inch or two above ground then a there is a foot or more above ground.
Do not pull out all the rods at once as it could make a mess of things with a lot of wind.
Push the rods out with the other leading edge by inserting the ferrule of the other leading edge into the end of the installed leading edge.
Push it in one rod length, attach the next rod push it in another rod length.
Go to the other end and remove the two rods sticking out.
Now remove the other rod and insert the last rod.

Now if you happen to have a spare ferrule laying around you could push the whole leading edge out at once by using the replacing leading edge.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#7 ilh

ilh

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 10:36 AM

Now if you happen to have a spare ferrule laying around you could push the whole leading edge out at once by using the replacing leading edge.

This works for me without any extra ferrule. I have the old LE in the kite fully assembled and new LE assembled, and just pull the kite onto the new LE. It is remarkable how well this works, especially for swapping out a leading edge as wind conditions change while flying. Keeping the kite on the ground, you could probably do the same in a good wind.

--Lee

#8 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 11:28 AM

This works for me without any extra ferrule. I have the old LE in the kite fully assembled and new LE assembled, and just pull the kite onto the new LE. It is remarkable how well this works, especially for swapping out a leading edge as wind conditions change while flying. Keeping the kite on the ground, you could probably do the same in a good wind.

--Lee

It will work without a ferrule, but sometimes slips off.
If you just so happen to have a spare ferrule in your pocket, which I rarely do, it makes it a bit easier.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users