Rubber bushing slips on SLE rods

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 genesant

genesant
  • Forum Member
  • 34 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 09:45 PM

I just got my Powerblast 2-4 today and I am smacking the ground on the tips more than with my 1.5. :kid_frustrated: I'm not used to the inertia yet. When I smack the tip it drives the rubber bushing that protects the bridle too far onto the SLE and the bridle rubs on the end of the SLE itself. What can I do to keep the bushing in place or to keep the endcaps from shoving inside of the SLE. (Other than becoming an expert flyer immediately). I like it much better when the endcaps fit over the LE like it does on 2 and 3 wraps instead of inside like the SLE.

Gene

#2 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 02:04 AM

Someone on this Forum has mentioned this before I believe his fix was a piece of rubber hose, the kind with the webbing inside slightly smaller then the diameter of the end cap, slice a few pieces maybe a little wider than the washers used, soak them in real hot water this will allow you to force them over the end caps, when they cool they will shrink down really tight and shouldn't slip like the stock rubber washers do.

Another way is something I've been working on if your at all handy with a lathe you can always fabricate end caps out of solid nylon dowels, start off larger than the rod and turn the end down until fits inside and the original size will act as the stopper, then you can drill a hole and feather down the edges with a Dremel tool for the bungee and bridle to fit through on the thick end.

I have made something similar to this with cut down pieces of ferrules and slices of a unused SLE held together with industrial epoxy and it works well, but after making a few I've decided that making them out of some good quality nylon dowels would be quicker and actually look more stock as the material doesn't splinter like the carbon rods do.

In the past I've tried super gluing the washer on but that doesn't last long a few tip bumps and its back to sliding over the bridle, as you get better this will be less of a problem, I ended up using the ones made on my speed series kites for doing tip stands on hard surfaces as I made the ends long enough to slide thread protectors over so they make nice bumpers.

OK there's a few ideas hope one of them helps, let us know what you come to for a solution maybe something similar or totally different.

Good Luck,
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#3 genesant

genesant
  • Forum Member
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 07:55 PM

a piece of rubber hose, the kind with the webbing inside slightly smaller then the diameter of the end cap, slice a few pieces maybe a little wider than the washers used, soak them in real hot water this will allow you to force them over the end caps, when they cool they will shrink down really tight and shouldn't slip like the stock rubber washers do.

Jim, Thanks for the tips. I followed your advice and put an hour on the kite today. I now have 2 hours total on it. I'm not smacking the ground with the tips as often now but when I do it is a doozy. It will move the sail sideways on the leading edge clear to the rubber hose but the hose is not slipping. Problem solved!!

#4 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 08:51 PM

Jim, Thanks for the tips. I followed your advice and put an hour on the kite today. I now have 2 hours total on it. I'm not smacking the ground with the tips as often now but when I do it is a doozy. It will move the sail sideways on the leading edge clear to the rubber hose but the hose is not slipping. Problem solved!!

Great Glad it helped, wait till you see how good that flies in 2 mph wind its amazing.
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users