new to kites

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 shaun413

shaun413
  • Forum Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 12:58 PM

Hi all, I'm new to kiting from central NJ and would love to get into rev flying. Unfortunately I cannot afford to buy a new kite at the moment, and would even be hard pressed to afford a used one. Not sure why they are so expensive :/ Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any advice for a newbie or had an old kite they could sell me? Thanks!

#2 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 03:30 AM

Hi Shaun,

The usual advice coming from me, hook-up with other fliers and borrow OPKs until you can afford it.  

That high admission price is in direct relationship to the fun involved with ownership.  You wanted to know why they are so expensive?  I can't imagine how these kites can be made so affordably durable.  I have twenty years worth of these darn things laying around and still the wife allows for further expansion, she runs the household checkbook!  I used to make my own quad-lined kites, that is not cheaper by any measure if you want state-of-the-art.

The expensive aspect of Rev ownership is the travel costs associated with meeting your friends all around the country.  {by a factor of at least 10!}

You get what you pay for most of the time in life.  A bus will get you downtown, yet some folks choose to buy a fancy sports car instead.  Both individuals get to their work-site at the same time and make an identical income.  You allocate for the things you love and sacrifice some or all of the things you can do without.  I live cheap but have great kites and an active travel life.  I've been "married to a mortgage" in the past, that big house in a gated community, country club, cars.  I don't value any of those items as much as my kite-bag and friends with the best gal in the whole world standing nearby.

A couple of summers worth of eating Ketchup sandwiches and you can own a custom crafted Revolution Kite made to your specific requirements Shaun.  Many of us believe it is worthwhile sacrifice

-paul

#3 kitefantex

kitefantex

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:08 AM

Shaun

Paul has it right about getting with a group. Someone in the group has an extra kite that you can use to learn on. Maybe one they are ready to let go for a reasonable price.

Kitefantex aka Gumby

#4 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 10:08 AM

What Paul said.

Cheers, Jim
Fly together! Share the joy, Share the fun

0 user(s) are reading this topic