? on old rev

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Gkiteguy

Gkiteguy
  • Forum Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:34 PM

Thanks all, for the help. I guess the leading edge wear I was talking about was the coating coming off from the ferrels, so probably still good. The two verticals are different lengths where the end cracked off of one. I like the idea of buying the leading edge getting two new verticals, and have an extra center length, I think first I'll try the verticals using them as horizontals and the others as the verticals. Nothing to lose, and cheaper, now that I know they are all 36". The leading edge length looks like it has a little extra play. A complete replace is about $85-90 dollars.

I had tried to fly it as is and failed. Maybe it's the line lengths. Did this kite require a leader to make the the upper or lower lines longer?  (My lines are all the same length. )

The comment about the "Dark Side" is something my friend Spence has been saying for years. 

Let the games begin!!

#22 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,409 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:10 PM

Thanks all, for the help. I guess the leading edge wear I was talking about was the coating coming off from the ferrels, so probably still good. The two verticals are different lengths where the end cracked off of one. I like the idea of buying the leading edge getting two new verticals, and have an extra center length, I think first I'll try the verticals using them as horizontals and the others as the verticals. Nothing to lose, and cheaper, now that I know they are all 36". The leading edge length looks like it has a little extra play. A complete replace is about $85-90 dollars.

I had tried to fly it as is and failed. Maybe it's the line lengths. Did this kite require a leader to make the the upper or lower lines longer?  (My lines are all the same length. )

The comment about the "Dark Side" is something my friend Spence has been saying for years. 

Let the games begin!!

You say "cracked off". What do you mean by this? Is it literally broken off or just rough looking? A photo might help.

I  don't recall anymore whether you need to add the 6-7 inches to the top or the bottom lines when using equal length control lines. That is going back some 22 years for me.

When you have the REV set up, line attached and handles vertical does the REV lean forward and tries to start or is it leaning backwards and you can't start it?

If it is leaning to far forward then you need to attache 6-7 inch leaders to the top lines.

If it is leaning to far backwards then you need to attache 6-7 inch leaders to the lower lines.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#23 makatakam

makatakam

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:49 AM

Go to the hardware store and get wooden dowel that fits inside the tube (1/4") and crazy glue it inside the upright which is too short, at least 1-1/2" inside the tube and enough sticking out to make them the same length. This should be fine as a temporary fix, until it falls apart. The kite will constantly want to turn to one side if the lengths are unequal. Everything on most multi-line kites should be bilaterally symmetrical.

Mark

Posted Image

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go."
CSN&Y

#24 hyzakite

hyzakite

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:45 AM

OR! Buy a 1/4" wooden dowel that's 36" long and say heck with the crazy glue. Cut the 34.2" tube down to 31" and have a spare for the 1.5. I just brought down one of my Rev 1 classics with the swivel clips, when the lawn dries out I'll fly it with a set of equalized lines, and report back. 

#25 hyzakite

hyzakite

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:34 AM

Ok, back with some results. I connected my equalized lines directly to the swivel clips, kite wouldn't get off the ground too much reverse. Brought my top lines to the last knot out it got the kite off the ground inverted but still poor reverse but a lot of forward. Added a leader with knots from another set of handles to each of the top swivel clips on the kite, result = flies like a dream. One thing I'll try because I don't know if that makes a difference, is to remove the leader at the kite swivel and add it to the handle's leader. 

#26 Gkiteguy

Gkiteguy
  • Forum Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:00 AM

You say "cracked off". What do you mean by this? Is it literally broken off or just rough looking? A photo might help.

I  don't recall anymore whether you need to add the 6-7 inches to the top or the bottom lines when using equal length control lines. That is going back some 22 years for me.

When you have the REV set up, line attached and handles vertical does the REV lean forward and tries to start or is it leaning backwards and you can't start it?

If it is leaning to far forward then you need to attache 6-7 inch leaders to the top lines.

If it is leaning to far backwards then you need to attache 6-7 inch leaders to the lower lines.

It is rough looking with a short crack. The long one is just rough looking. 

I can't remember the exact problems on the test flight. My memory is much shorter than 22 years, but I am going to print your explanation and bring some extra line to the field to make a leader if necessary. I'm also going to wrap the spar ends that are on the ends not in the ferrels with thread and soak with super glue. I've had great success with this fix. It's real hot today on the Gulf Coast so I might wait until this evening.

gallery_5512_649_25230.jpg

#27 hyzakite

hyzakite

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:02 AM

Final results for me, 13" to 15" leaders after the knots are in place on the top (forward/drive) of 13" handles works out great. Shorter or longer handles may need shorter or longer top leaders accordingly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users