• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SkyDancer

SkyDancer
  • Forum Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:16 AM

Hi,

I was wondering if the EXP has any major differences between the B-Series. Have been flying it for about a year and a half, so I know it pretty well.

Any flying characteristics, design, or "feel" that separates the two? I have an EXP and have never flown a standard B-series and want to see if it is any different just out of curiosity...

Thanks!

#2 hyzakite

hyzakite

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:46 AM

Shouldn't notice much of a difference, left is left right is right up is up and down is down. Rods in the exp will slide into the 1.5b, and the 1.5b rods will slide into the exp. Different materials in the sails, different material in the bridles. You flew the 1.5b vented, the difference there was the wind conditions. You would notice more differences between models like Rev 1 to a 1.5 or a blast to a b2.

#3 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:59 PM

Even though they both look the same, and the frames are interchangeable, there is a huge difference in overall performance and control from the EXP to the B-Series.  As far as flight, there is not that much of a difference, the controls are exactly the same.  The biggest difference comes when you start to hover and do precision controls.  The B-Series loads up much nicer and holds its position better.  It also gives better feed-back during flight.

For someone who hasn't flown much, the difference is very minimal.  For someone who has flown a lot and really knows how to fine tune the kite the difference is quite a bit and well worth the extra cash.

I would say there is less difference between the B-Series and the B-Series PRO (which is somewhat less) than there is between the B-Series and the EXP (which is quite a lot).

#4 swannie

swannie
  • Forum Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 05:19 PM

My two cents from someone who's been flying semi-regularily for about two years.  I've never flown an EXP, but I do have an SLE that I'd usually fly with the thinner 3-wraps (not the SLE).  I can tell a difference between my SLE and the way my various B series kites fly.

That said, I couldn't tell you exactly WHAT that difference is, other then they feel ... different.  It's a good different, but my skills aren't anywhere near the point where I could detail it.  ... or probably fully appreciate it for that matter. :)

#5 makatakam

makatakam

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:27 PM

The B-series and the pro are a bit quicker than the EXP and SLE and more responsive to inputs because of the panel design. The panel layout changes the direction of stretch in the fabric, so it doesn't all go in the same direction, reduces billowing.

Mark

Posted Image

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go."
CSN&Y

#6 SparkieRob

SparkieRob

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:53 AM

+1 on the feel.

Aside from the materials and construction differences, price is a massive difference. Not in dollars but in how you treat it. You are more likely to be less worried about the cheaper kite and you will fly better when you are relaxed. You will also, after a while, feel more comfortable trying new tricks with a cheaper sail. As by then, you will already be eyeing off an upgrade and will be even more relaxed and not worried if you push the kites limits....

"Inbetween heaven and earth, there are kites."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users