About the Pulling power of a Rev kite, and some background story

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 Percy

Percy
  • Forum Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:16 AM

Thanks for the math. Sure will help when i have a kite.

What does SUL mean?

#22 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:21 AM

Super Ultra Light  one of Revolutions models for light wind flying!! Discontinued! Special order only! Unless you find a supplier with some in stock!

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#23 Mike

Mike

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:41 AM

Based on your choices, I would get a solid sail kite with the 2 wrap and 3 wrap spars. That's the way they seem to be sold at the places you linked to. My opinion would be to fly the 2 wraps spars most of the time, especially as a beginner. The lighter weight of the 2 wrap will help in light winds, and the extra flex will help a little with gusts.

If you want to import a kite, I would get the NYM single vent. The vent on the NYM is smaller than the vent on the B-series, which I think is an advantage for you. The NYM kites come with a nice light-weight spar too.

I have gusty winds too, and there isn't a mountain within 1000 kilometers from here.

If you have trouble learning to fly the kite, I strongly recommend driving to a place with nice winds. Driving an hour to the beach will be well worth it.

Mike Kory:
Posted Image and Posted Image

#24 Percy

Percy
  • Forum Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:58 AM

Ahhh, Super Ultra Light. Makes sense yes. 

I found a dealer in the Netherlands who can supply the New York Minute! Just mailed them how long it gonna take. So excited :D. If they cannot order it, i will buy the 1.5b non vented instead. Thanks for the help Mike.

Got another question though, maybe somebody can help me out.

I see a lot of 1.5b mid-vented on websites here in the Netherlands. But non 1.5b standaard. They sell also 1.5b SLE models, what is this? Is this the non-vented version, or totally a different model then the 1.5b mid-vented?

#25 lylenc

lylenc
  • Forum Member
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:38 PM

SLE is super leading edge, which is a larger diameter and heavier frame with very little flex compared to the 2 & 3 wrapped frames. The SLE takes more wind and has less precision (more twitch from gusts and beginner flailing) than the 2 & 3 wrapped frames. The SLE was the normal frame before the B series of 1.5s came along. Most fliers that had kites with SLE frames replaced them with 3 wrap, 4 wrap, or a combo of 2&3 wrap for a leading edge.

I'm one of the few that still likes the SLE frame when there is enough wind for it. The extra mass makes it easier to toss the kite around when momentum is needed. That makes cartwheeling further to the edge of the window easier and better side slides. However, I don't fly in groups or need the extra precision and control that the 2 & 3 wrap provide.

"Just One More"
Craig
Walla Walla, WA

#26 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:55 PM

There is nothing called a 1.5b SLE! there are 1.5 SLEs, 1.5 "B"s, an EXP, and the Pro series! And the New York Minute series!

EXPs are usually one model - standard sail only

SLEs are usually in 2 models - standard and full vent

"B"s are in 3 models - standard, midvent, and full vent

there are 2 others in the Pro series - the Zen and Xtravent with the 3 already mentioned (5 total)

New York Minutes are in 4 models - standard, 1 vent, 2 vent, and 3 vent

Clear, I hope??

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#27 Percy

Percy
  • Forum Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 04:34 AM

Lylenc:

Good to know. The 1.5b comes with 2 and 3 wrap i see, so it will cover most of the situations for me, cause i will not fly with powerfull wind. And what about this race frame? Its a combination from 2 and 3 wrap uh?

Stroke Survivor:

Sir yes SIR! Clear as hell. Those webshops made me confusing hehe. Afraid to order the wrong one. So thanks for the clear explanation. 

#28 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:05 AM

Just hoping to clear up any confusion, that's all! When I saw your post, it left me scratching my head, wondering if you had info straight or not! Glad to help in any way!!

Rod lessons: 

2, 3, 4, wraps = similar flex, just different amount of wraps for strength! 2 wrap = light, 4 wrap = heavier Most use a 3 wrap to start, strong, but light enough and flexible enough for learning on!

Race = there are several race varieties, black, green, white. Most use black, the New York Minute comes with green, white was a  special rod and seems to have dropped from sight, Race rods are lighter, but more flexible than wrap rods! 

Diamond rods = new, very light, not recommended for beginners.

Hope this helps too!

wayne from portland

AKA member

#29 Mike

Mike

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:54 AM

I'm afraid I have to disagree with my friend Wayne. The spars differ in flex: 2 wraps are much more flexible than 4 wraps.

Although many people will recommend 3 wraps for beginners, I think 2 wraps are easier. I've never broken either spar and I've handed my kites to anyone who walks up to me and wants to try. But it doesn't matter, it sounds like you'll have both, so you can decide for yourself!

Mike Kory:
Posted Image and Posted Image

#30 SkyPuppet

SkyPuppet

Reveller

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:37 AM

I'm afraid I have to disagree with my friend Wayne. The spars differ in flex: 2 wraps are much more flexible than 4 wraps.

Maybe Wayne meant in terms of reflex, not flex; in that sense, the 2, 3, and 4 wrap 1/4" rods all do seem to "spring back" from flexing to rest with the same speed and energy. I do agree with both Mike and Wayne, I've never broken a wrap rod and wouldn't recommend diamond rods to beginners.

The Race rods are known to reflex even faster than the wrap rods (well maybe except the green Race frame). The ability to go from flexing back to dead-calm rest with incredible speed and precision is why the Race frame is a universal favorite.

Have Rev, Will Travel

My YouTube Channel - Thanks for watching smile.png

#31 Percy

Percy
  • Forum Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 01:46 AM

Good news! I just bought my first Rev Kite. A New York Minute 1.5 standard. I had a long talk with the shop owner on the telephone, and he know the place where i live. He said that really is unstable wind there so a standard sail is the best in my situation. If i go to the beach, beter is to have a single or even more vented version but first practice in low wind with this version.

Damn super excited. Thank you all for the great advice, i gonna make some pictures when its here.

#32 Captainbob

Captainbob

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 03:31 AM

Good news! I just bought my first Rev Kite. A New York Minute 1.5 standard. I had a long talk with the shop owner on the telephone, and he know the place where i live. He said that really is unstable wind there so a standard sail is the best in my situation. If i go to the beach, beter is to have a single or even more vented version but first practice in low wind with this version.

Damn super excited. Thank you all for the great advice, i gonna make some pictures when its here.

I have the same wind conditions where I live, and a standard is the way to go.. My second was a B series mid vent. 

AKA member

#33 Percy

Percy
  • Forum Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 04:10 AM

Sweet to hear Captainbob, later will find something for the beach wind! Damn, cannot wait. Its also starting to get nice weather here in the Netherlands. 

Good times!

#34 timmyz

timmyz
  • Forum Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 07:15 AM

Hang in there Percy and follow the great advice. I bought my first rev 10 years ago and now have all versions of the 1.5. Just wish I would have found these forums back then. Now I have been relearning how to fly the correct way. This year I turn 50 and have more time to fly, so my goal is to hook up with a local kite club. Good luck.
Timmyz. Pittsburgh PA

#35 Percy

Percy
  • Forum Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 07:31 AM

10 years already, time flies, just like a good kite ;). Any tips for me from the pro to get flying? 

#36 Tmadz

Tmadz

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:09 AM

Percy, if you're a full fledged member of this forum, you can watch the video tutorials John Barresi has posted. It's more than enough to get started flying. I think he's going to be adding to the videos a lot more as well.

#37 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:11 AM

Maybe Wayne meant in terms of reflex, not flex; in that sense, the 2, 3, and 4 wrap 1/4" rods all do seem to "spring back" from flexing to rest with the same speed and energy. I do agree with both Mike and Wayne, I've never broken a wrap rod and wouldn't recommend diamond rods to beginners.

The Race rods are known to reflex even faster than the wrap rods (well maybe except the green Race frame). The ability to go from flexing back to dead-calm rest with incredible speed and precision is why the Race frame is a universal favorite.

Thanks Dave for helping me explain it more clearly!! I did mean "reflex", I find it consistent across all the wrap rods, no strange reactions from them! ani_idea.gif

wayne from portland

AKA member

#38 timmyz

timmyz
  • Forum Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:41 AM

Definitely what the John Barresi tutorials with your handles in hand. Also available at kitelife online magazine.

#39 timmyz

timmyz
  • Forum Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 10:12 AM

Definitely what the John Barresi tutorials with your handles in hand. Also available at kitelife online magazine.

#40 timmyz

timmyz
  • Forum Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 10:14 AM

Oopps double post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users