30 replies to this topic

#21 Captainbob

Captainbob

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:29 AM

Agreed Dave, agreed! But too many times I see people too hung up on them, expecting this or that from a piece of equipment that just is the wrong sail in those conditions! Revflyer has it right in his WOW club - they recommend you DON'T buy til you try something and make your own judgement if it is right for you! 

If I had waited until I had actually tried  something, I would most likely have never bought any kites, except maybe a SLK.  wink.png

AKA member

#22 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:26 AM

CB - I agree with 1 exception - if numbers are gonna be used - understate them!! Then instead of pushing a piece of equipment to the breaking point, because it says it's rated to X mph, keep it in a safe operating zone!! 

More or less it comes down to two sails are really all that's needed - a standard and a vented - everything else is just filling personal likes in flying styles! Yes there are high and low end (wind wise) options for consideration, how many use them on a regular basis? 

With the 2 sails you've got just about everything covered, again everything else is your own preference!

Makes it simple enough for me!!

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#23 Captainbob

Captainbob

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:31 AM

CB - I agree with 1 exception - if numbers are gonna be used - understate them!! Then instead of pushing a piece of equipment to the breaking point, because it says it's rated to X mph, keep it in a safe operating zone!! 

More or less it comes down to two sails are really all that's needed - a standard and a vented - everything else is just filling personal likes in flying styles! Yes there are high and low end (wind wise) options for consideration, how many use them on a regular basis? 

With the 2 sails you've got just about everything covered, again everything else is your own preference!

Makes it simple enough for me!!

So it would appear that the performance of a certain Kite and frame combination, would be a bell curve rather than a stated high and  low wind speed, and the ends of the bell curve would be the less desirable conditions to fly that particular model in. I think a bell curve would probably be a better way to illustrate the performance of a kite-frame combination for the beginner. 

AKA member

#24 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:02 AM

Makes sense here! 

I recently PM'd another forum member about "his" feel about rods and what he used in situations. His setup is completely different from mine! His perception of how the rods reacted (feel) in similar wind conditions, just weren't my observations! Are either of us "wrong" - NO! Again, line length, line weight, handle length and bend, rods you choose, all go into developing a feel for what works for you!

You decide to buy "X" sail, but don't like it? Sell it and try something else! Rods not your style, move them out to someone else! There is a strong market for "good" used kites out there, you might try some to find your combo!

Whatever you do - fly, often! Develop that "feel"! 

It's the nice thing about Revs - there is no right or wrong, just a personal connection with what works for you! It's a lifelong journey!!

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#25 Bruce 49

Bruce 49
  • Forum Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:55 AM

Thanks everyone for your input. I've ordered the New York Minute standard (RTF) pkg. I think it will be a great Rev to begin with. Now, I just need all of this snow to melt, and to warm up just a little more.

#26 Captainbob

Captainbob

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:59 AM

Thanks everyone for your input. I've ordered the New York Minute standard (RTF) pkg. I think it will be a great Rev to begin with. Now, I just need all of this snow to melt, and to warm up just a little more.

Congratulations on your new Rev. You will probably be the first to get one, so if you have time after flying it a bit, posting a review of it would be great. 

AKA member

#27 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:08 AM

Great choice!! And now that you have handles and lines - your second kite can be a "kite only" with a different frame if you like!! Saves you a bit of money that way! The standard sail is a great place to start, it will fly in lots of situations!!

Enjoy!!

wayne from portland

AKA member

#28 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:00 AM

wayne, remember when we only had one revolution kite?  It was the perfect wing for ALL conditions as I recall

#29 SparkieRob

SparkieRob

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:47 PM

wayne, remember when we only had one revolution kite?  It was the perfect wing for ALL conditions as I recall

Oh I remember taking my EXP out in winds that were "yeah that's got to be JUST inside the upper range".... The abuse I put that kite through. Still flies though.

"Inbetween heaven and earth, there are kites."

#30 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:25 PM

My old Rev 1 is like that!! Put it through the wringer alright! Gee, isn't that why we have multiple sails now?? lol

wayne from portland

AKA member

#31 dragonfish

dragonfish
  • Forum Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:28 PM

Oh I remember taking my EXP out in winds that were "yeah that's got to be JUST inside the upper range".... The abuse I put that kite through. Still flies though.

Oh yea, I remember those days too.  I still remember one BASKL clinic back when I only had my EXP.  The wind was picking up as the day went on, as per the usual weather pattern.  By mid afternoon, most people had vented kites out, and someone said to me something like, "I'm surprised you're still flying that."  My reply was, "I've only got one kite!"  Gotta make what you have work when you don't have options.  I can see stretch marks on that kite now, but yup, it still flies and it's still in my bag.  In fact, there's another BASKL clinic tomorrow and it's going to be my teaching kite for other people to learn on.  

To the OP, congrats.  Nice choice.  Be sure to share pictures when you get it out, as I'm sure lots of us want to see more picture of the new design.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users