Photo

What is the purpose of long leader with knots on the handles.

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Reef Runner

Reef Runner

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:10 AM

REVflyer  -  Well put, and very well explained............clap_1.gif

Sent from my regular old laptop, with real keys:

nick, from North Carolina
a.k.a. "Reef Runner"
Kitelife Subscriber #590

It's important to have as much fun as possible while we're here.
It balances out the times, when the minefield of life explodes.

J Buffett - "A Pirate Looks at Fifty"

#22 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:24 AM

then by this time next week you'll be on the way to the destination,.... Owning your hover

#23 kitefantex

kitefantex

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 06:12 PM

I usually fly with my index finger holding the top line over the top and just using my little finger for the reverse. The bottom leader is only about an inch long and the top is about 5-6 inches  with knots about an inch apart. I put the line on the 3rd knot. This is on the snag less handles I made.  I don't think about the handles just the way the kit flies for me.  I'm not proficient yet but working on it. So its practice, practice, practice.

Kitefantex aka Gumby

#24 makatakam

makatakam

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:42 PM

I usually fly with my index finger holding the top line over the top and just using my little finger for the reverse. The bottom leader is only about an inch long and the top is about 5-6 inches  with knots about an inch apart. I put the line on the 3rd knot. This is on the snag less handles I made.  I don't think about the handles just the way the kit flies for me.  I'm not proficient yet but working on it. So its practice, practice, practice.

I think you will find that eventually, as you become more proficient and begin using more and more brake, that your top leaders are too short and you can't add brake without lenghtening them. I thought mine were long enough to suit me at the outset, but found myself making them longer after gaining a couple hundred hours of time on the lines.

Using maximum brake gives you maximum control, especially in "unruly" winds, as we often encounter here in the Chicago area.

Mark

Posted Image

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go."
CSN&Y

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users