32 replies to this topic

#1 Captainbob

Captainbob

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:17 AM

I just ordered a Rev 1.5 SLE and was thinking about ordering a spare set of lines for it. It comes with #90 85 ft, and I was wondering if I should get a longer set for the spare set like either 90# 100 ft or 120 ft, or stay with the shorter length until I get some more experience. 

AKA member

#2 SparkieRob

SparkieRob

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:29 AM

Get the 120's because sooner or later you will fly with someone. I spend the most time on short lines, 30's and 50's.

A second set of 85's will chop down nicely to a set of 30 and 50...

"Inbetween heaven and earth, there are kites."

#3 Tmadz

Tmadz
  • Forum Member
  • 46 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:19 AM

It really depends if you plan on doing team flying later. 120's are the std for team flying. Most of the other people in my area often fly 85'or shorter alone. But you can always practice on 120's as well and get used to the feel.

#4 Captainbob

Captainbob

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:33 AM

It really depends if you plan on doing team flying later. 120's are the std for team flying. Most of the other people in my area often fly 85'or shorter alone. But you can always practice on 120's as well and get used to the feel.

Not really into team flying, so I guess I will stick with the 85 ft or shorter. 

AKA member

#5 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:11 AM

Not really into team flying, so I guess I will stick with the 85 ft or shorter. 

Not YET!!!!cat_lol.gif  120's really open up the wind window and give you a much bigger area to do things in!! Just a good thing to have -  if the occasion arises!! Really though, it depends on where you fly the most - what length can you use comfortably in that area!! My most used set is only 50' long, because the small park I go to doesn't lend itself to longer lines! As always, adapt to what you have at your disposal!!ani_idea.gif

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#6 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:58 AM

Hey Capt'n bob, my son lives in Atlanta.  He just needs someone local to push him outside to enjoy flying.  Benjamin LaMasters  Heck he'd probably drive to meet you  

Flying with a partner occasionally (on those long lines you don' think you will need / use) it is the beginning of a new adventure on the wind.  PM if you want contact info to another quad flier in your community.  

He's a martial arts guy as a lifestyle, 20+ years, although his physical presence is not very intimidating,....

Ha! I can get away with saying that,

#7 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:01 AM

I would strongly suggest 100 or 120 for two reasons.
1. Line sets last a long time, especially if you are flying alone. It should be a long time before you will need to replace your 80s.

2. When you do start flying with others, you will need 120s or 100s. We use both as most people we fly with carry both. If only of the two, 120s would be the best choice. We use 100s when there are only up to four or maybe six, or when wind or space are low. Flying in larger groups or in large spaces 120s provide more sky in which to play.

Nothing cut in stone here, just the way we fly.
Fly together! Share the joy, Share the fun

#8 SkyPuppet

SkyPuppet

Reveller

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:30 AM

Hey Captainbob, I'm also going to recommend 100ft or 120ft, 120s are preferable IMO... You just never know when you'll run into another Rev pilot and the 120s are the team flying standard, so more pilots are apt to carry them. I agree with Jim, I say lines outlast kites, and in my case, sets of kites. 90# line is best for a beginner, once again IMO.

The longer lines are beneficial to a beginning Rev pilot, you'll have more time within the wind window to act/react. I'd advise against going shorter than 75ft until you have a good grasp on the fundamentals, as you'll have less time to act/react. Once you have an understanding, however, the sky's the limit... fly it on 5ft lines (or just grab the bridle!) all the way up to far far away :)

Have Rev, Will Travel

My YouTube Channel - Thanks for watching smile.png

#9 Captainbob

Captainbob

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:22 PM

Well, I guess I will order the 120's then. Seems to be a common dominator. 

AKA member

#10 pond44

pond44
  • Forum Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:27 PM

Hey Captain, Let us know how your first flight goesani_yahoo.gif or angry.png

"The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas".ani_idea.gif

#11 Captainbob

Captainbob

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:41 PM

Hey Captain, Let us know how your first flight goesani_yahoo.gif or angry.png

Will do, watching alot of videos now, and hoping to fly my other Kite tomorrow, an HQ Symphony 1.8

AKA member

#12 Dayhiker

Dayhiker

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:24 AM

When I unroll my old Skybond 150's it takes so long I almost forget what I'm out there doing. I did get a set of LPG quad 90# x 120's based on the large window idea & hope of team flying someday. But have actually only tried them once as I am a solo hill billie flyer.

May the forest be with you

"I live back in the woods, you see
A woman & the kids, & the dogs & me"

Bocephus

#13 Tmadz

Tmadz
  • Forum Member
  • 46 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 06:32 AM

When I unroll my old Skybond 150's it takes so long I almost forget what I'm out there doing. I did get a set of LPG quad 90# x 120's based on the large window idea & hope of team flying someday. But have actually only tried them once as I am a solo hill billie flyer.

Don't be so hard on yourself. You'd be a hill billie kiter if you were using a tarp tied to some sticks.

120's should be fine for most anybody because you need lots of open land for the smoothest wind. Short beaches excepted.

#14 elmo264

elmo264
  • Forum Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:52 AM

I also recomend 120' lines if you have the space to use them. I used to be a solo flyer using mostly 85' lines until I attended a rev clinic. I set up with my brand new set of 120' lines and was practicing hovers and what not. when all of the sudden 1 more experinced flyer ask if they could fly with me, I said of coarse. Next thing you know a couple more pilots joined in and we were team flying with 4 flyers. I must admit I was hooked and loving it.  

#15 mystainedskin

mystainedskin
  • Forum Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:25 PM

I fly alone 99% of the time. If there is wind and room..the 120s are coming out! Just gives you sooo much area to play with.

#16 Aerochic

Aerochic

Revadelic

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 04:47 PM

I totally agree that 120s should be your next choice! Always grab the opportunity to fly with others when you can! Even using 120s on your own, the slowed down feel of the kite is a great lesson in the control department!

Better Living Through Rev Flying...

Rev Themed Ts & Goodies: http://www.zazzle.co...ckarts/clothing
Aerostakes: http://www.etsy.com/shop/LeshockArts
Rev Galleries: http://www.revkites....=user&user=1408
Flickr Pics: http://www.flickr.co...s/16896184@N05/

#17 oapbillf

oapbillf

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:34 AM

I agree with everyone all round for going with 120,s and when you purchase your next Rev with the standard

80/85 foot set, cut them down to make  30 and 50 foot sets unsleeved at the kite end.

That should just about cover you for all wind and location conditions.  ani_victory.gif

Bill

#18 Captainbob

Captainbob

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:03 PM

I agree with everyone all round for going with 120,s and when you purchase your next Rev with the standard

80/85 foot set, cut them down to make  30 and 50 foot sets unsleeved at the kite end.

That should just about cover you for all wind and location conditions.  ani_victory.gif

Bill

How do you use the lines "unsleeved"? doesn't that make them weaker at the knot. 

AKA member

#19 Dayhiker

Dayhiker

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:20 PM

If you look at your bridles you will see many unsleeved knots. When you tie spectra into knots the unsleeved the knot is weaker if you use certain knots. You could use a figure eight knot with minimal concerns. The ability to untie the knot will be a problem but you can make adjustments on the other end that is still sleeved. As an old rock climbing caver I bet my life on knots many times. So I don't generally want to compromise my line. I have broken a kite line at a knot. It was part way up a 50# line & even though I saw it, I could not get it loose without damaging the line. It broke in a strong gust. You can tease knots apart with a common pin but the 50# spectra is very fine. Some people use 90# as a minimum.

May the forest be with you

"I live back in the woods, you see
A woman & the kids, & the dogs & me"

Bocephus

#20 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:47 PM

Un sleeved is just as reliable, you just make bigger than normal loops with a stopper knot built in, to adjust you simply add more knots into the longest strand

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users