Photo

New Vid - Practice Day (mostly on tip landing maneuvers)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Eagle Flyer

Eagle Flyer
  • Forum Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:41 AM

had 4 hours of close-to-perfection wind for the B Series MV, practiced some tip landing maneuvers mostly and some basic reverse flying. Compilation video, feedback welcome.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7TxcgWxmpM

Thomas,

1.5 SLE | B Series Mid Vent | B2 | Supersonic | PowerBlast 2-4

Quadlines Greece
http://www.facebook.com/quadlinesgr

#2 Madquad

Madquad

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:28 AM

Good practice. Check your end caps and bridle for any damage. Groundwork is always nice...but it can damage/wear your equipment. Keep up the good work and have fun

It's not the size of your Rev.. its how you use it.
Seven days without flying a Rev makes one weak.

http://www.air-4-ce.nl

batch-air4ce.jpg?w=230&h=230

#3 Eagle Flyer

Eagle Flyer
  • Forum Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:55 AM

Pics attached, noticed some wear on the bridles and the kite edge, for the bridles I tried an extra knot there in order to prevent them from getting cut at the weak point. For the sail edge I was thinking of fold & sew. The plastic and carbon parts got dirty, but all intact.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0472.JPG
  • IMG_0473.JPG
  • IMG_0474.JPG

Thomas,

Quadlines Greece

#4 Murph

Murph

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:43 AM

Certainly concur as far as end caps go, they can be in for a bit of abuse (those unintentional hard landings) especially when learning to get to grips with a Rev and thereafter when 'walking the Rev', dragging tips across surfaces and other tricks that involve contact with the ground ...luckily enough I've not had any connectors (I'd imagine others chiming in will have) split on my Revs, touch wood :) Depending on what surface you fly on, hard pact and course surfaces obviously you'll be risking grinding those end caps, but also breaking rods, puncturing sails and damaging leading edges dacron.

Bridle wear?! Yeah for sure you'll get a lot of wear on them, from both friction and stretch. One of those inescapable situations if you fly your kite a lot, exaggerated if you fly in stronger wind conditions. Yep I've tied knots whilst out on the beach (anything than returning all the way back to car to get another kite) a good field fix if you suffer a bridle break but you will most probably notice a slightly unbalance in the kite by tying a knot in one corner of the bridle, not hugely but probably enough to notice a difference in flight characteristics ...on some of my Revs I've made small pigtails that interface between the connectors and the bridle itself (as I've noticed over the years this is where most wear occurs), only problem is that it adds that small amount to the bridle length, but I usually compensate for this as I make my own bridles up.

As for the fraying of the dacron on the LE ...most here you'll find just run the flame from a cigarette lighter close to the frayed edge, in doing so seals and stops it fraying anymore. Goes without saying remove the rod before trying this :)

Hey whats wrong with a Rev with a few battle worn scars ...gives em more character I say :)

Chris

#5 Eagle Flyer

Eagle Flyer
  • Forum Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 05:52 PM

You are totally right Chris, as for the bridles, I did tie that extra knot to both of them bridle edges, balance wise. The lighter trick worked well on the dacron, much easier than folding and sewing for sure! Thanks for the tip! But yep, a battle scarred kite is needed for that learning curve.

Thomas,

Quadlines Greece

#6 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:38 AM

next time you could try some little attachment loops (like an inch of diameter) for each bridle point affixing to the leading edge sleeve or caps.  Then when the high wear shows it's ugly head you just replace the loop instead of the whole bridle.

Alternatively you could fabricate a new bridle "leg" just for those spots that show the highest wear.

here's a test of your bridle, ... when you pick it up by just the two attachment points for the top flying lines,

do all of the legs fetch-up tight?, if not adjust until they do

now do you want more leaning forward or backward?  You could vary the lengths of the bottom attachment point inch loops easily  Add a second one, go fly and see if it helps.  This is easy experimentation!  

After you are more comfortable testing you can add a couple of attachment points, one more and one less than stock, just to see how it impacts the flight dynamics.  Here's a visual example.

https://www.facebook...&type=1

In this case the experiment is to see what the "closeness of the center attachment point" on a french bridle does,

if you vary the length by 50% or 200%

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users