Photo

Question on B Series (Vented or non-vented)

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 01:51 PM

I loosen two fingers, pinky and the one next to it.

Most of the time, I fly with the three "power fingers"... Thumb, index and middle.

The pinky and it's mate come into play when I need more leverage on the bottom of the handles, or am making a more extreme movement (like axels).

Also, I don't buy into the "let the handles hang by your index finger" business... That sheets off the wind, and makes the kite harder to steer.

If you line up the top of your hands with the top of the foam and loosen your bottom 2 fingers, you'll find much the same effect, with a more secure grip.

Hope that made sense, English-wise.

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#22 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 03:14 PM

Most of the time, I fly with the three "power fingers"... Thumb, index and middle.

The pinky and it's mate come into play when I need more leverage on the bottom of the handles, or am making a more extreme movement (like axels).

Also, I don't buy into the "let the handles hang by your index finger" business... That sheets off the wind, and makes the kite harder to steer.

If you line up the top of your hands with the top of the foam and loosen your bottom 2 fingers, you'll find much the same effect, with a more secure grip.

OK you explained it allot better then I did. That was pretty much what I was getting at and yes I don't allow the wind to sheet off. I didn't even think about that result :kid_cussing:

Oh well between it all hopefully some sense will be made.
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#23 steveb

steveb

Occasional Poseur

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 06:36 PM

I don't have a B-Series set yet, but I really enjoy flying the Vented 1.5.
As soon as there is enough wind, I switch over and I often use Race Rods or 2 Wraps in my Vented.
The wind window seems a bit smaller than the standard sail Rev in lighter winds, but I'm really in synch with the Vented's flight.
It seems to smooth out a lot of my yips & oopses when backing up or flying precision.

#24 Cath Shook

Cath Shook

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 06:34 AM

In general, I agree with you, John - light touch with the last 2 fingers. BUT if you have small hands, the thumb on the top can shift too much control to the top, instead of a balance. I have much more control using the index finger - again, much smaller hands than yours.

Cath

Cath
cath@flyingsmileskites.com
www.FlyingSmilesKites.com
252-453-8442

Come see us at Flying Smiles Kites when you're on the Outer Banks of NC!

Kites make me smile ... Revs make me grin!

"Be the change you want to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users