8 replies to this topic

#1 tommylurvebus

tommylurvebus

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:35 PM

Anyone ever experienced bridle stretch on their xtra vent.? I have a strange situation where lines seem equal when checked and fly true across several different sails,  but on my X Vent  seem slightly out (enough to have to  make an adjustment on bottom leader to fine tune). I have flown the X V in winds upto 30. I wonder if it is possible to get significant bridle stretch to notice a discrepancy, or is that impossible due to the short amount of bridle line involved.   Could this be a perceived effect  due to other factors.  Just thought I would put this out there before replacing the bridle.

tommy harrison

#2 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:17 PM

Unless I am mistaken, you should be able to lift the kite entirely by just the two top flying lines attachment points And have all the bridle legs fetch-up tight If not I would adjust until they do so!

#3 Murph

Murph

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 02:40 PM

Not exactly an Xtra vented...

But I remove bridles every so often, especially when I notice when the kite is acting a little strange and I've already equalized lines etc., yeah just take it completely off and hold it up at the center knot, drawing down each leg and its opposite number (as it were) ...if anything is off you will see it pretty much right way.

Last time I took an old bridle off my 'swiss cheese' Rev, I found the lower right must've been an 1"1/2 longer than the other side, shortened to correspond with that other side, re-tied the knot, stuck it back on the kite and all was found to be fine again.

Wont say its the most scientifically accurate way of fixing the problem ...might want to maybe check it against a fresh out of the bag bridle.

BTW do measure and remeasure both arms while you're at it too cat_shy.gif  

Chris 

#4 tommylurvebus

tommylurvebus

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:13 PM

Ahh! so im  not going mad. Thanks fellas. I will get right on it.

tommy harrison

#5 dragonfish

dragonfish
  • Forum Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:39 PM

Another thing to watch out for is extra knots that have stealthily worked their way into the bridle.  This happens to me on the bottom line attachment points (from the kite flapping around when packing up I'm guessing).  The short segment that you attach a bottom line to works its way around the bridle and itself, creating an extra knot right on top of the existing knot that creates that short segment, making them hard to find unless you look really closely.  I hope that made sense...not looking at a kite right now.  

One time I switched from flying full vent to standard, and then my kite wouldn't behave.  I couldn't find anything wrong with it on the field and compensated just like you did by adjusting to uneven leaders, so I suspected something was wrong with the bridle.  When I got home, I took the frame out of the kite and folded it in half to compare all the bridle lengths (saves taking the bridle off the kite, and works well enough for me).  That's how I found the extra knot.  

Good luck.  

#6 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:27 AM

dragonfish has a point!! When setting up, make sure all the bridle points come off "clean"! While you're at it, make sure you haven't got a tangle or wrap coming off the endcaps either!! Both wrapped endcaps or wrapped attachment points will make your bridle act strange!! I have a pattern to my setup that never changes, making sure the bridle attachment points at the caps are the same and my line legs are "clean" from the bridle rigging!! 

There are times I'll take the bridle loose from the caps, assemble the kite, and attach the bridle so each leg pulls from the same direction, ie - inside pull for bottoms, outside pull for tops, low pull for outsides!! Assembling the kite without the bridle lets the caps show you their orientation, then you can put the bridle on so that each side mirrors the other!! 

Eliminates 1 variable in your setup!!!ani_idea.gif

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#7 tommylurvebus

tommylurvebus

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:36 PM

Thanks SS I  do keep a close eye on attachment points at end caps as you advise . Dragonfish Wow I would have never thought about the potential for un noticeable  bridle wraps and knots hiding in there. Thats brilliant.

. Now thinking back to all those  catch a (wet fish ani_weightlift.gif  ) flapping sail moments on extravent  days.. I will check this too.. Big thanks for your input everyone.

tommy harrison

#8 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:58 PM

My "trick" is to always be consistent in my setup!! All my bridles are attached the same, makes it easy to see anything out of whack!!

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#9 tommylurvebus

tommylurvebus

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 03:11 AM

Hey guys. Only just got chance to have a proper look at the XVent bridle and YES! I had an extra knot in my bottom left hand line attachment point (leg) coupled with a 5mm longer knot to knot measurement on the bottom right. Together these added up to just under half an inch of difference. Thanks again for the pointers. Now I know I will watch for this in the future. Sure beats trying to re equalise already equal lines.
tommy harrison

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users